Official Review: Followed my Star by AR Annahita

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
gaporter
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 111
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gaporter.html
Latest Review: Lives of Museum Junkies by Marilynne Eichinger
Reading Device: B0051VVOB2

Official Review: Followed my Star by AR Annahita

Post by gaporter »

[Following is the official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Followed my Star" by AR Annahita.]
Book Cover
2 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Followed my Star by AR Annahita is a non-fiction book that explores the author’s personal philosophy that she believes will bring about world peace. This book is the third installment in the Followed my Star series, but may be read separately from the first two. The author is an Iranian immigrant to America and works as a photographer, writer, and philosopher, and so offers a fresh perspective on American and global lifestyles and policies.

The book is divided into 19 chapters, between 1-4 pages each, that focus on different aspects of the author’s views. The chapters begin broad and begin to narrow into each topic, though a few chapters I had to reread to find the overarching theme. Overall, I thought that the chapters could have been more concise in conveying these themes as many of the ideas are repeated and reiterated through proceeding chapters without offering further elaboration.

Followed my Star tackles a range of issues large and small, from global policy issues to individual happiness (and unhappiness). The main theme of the book is finding balance. The author believes that the world will be a better place if balance is found in all areas: politically, religiously, financially, individually, etc. The topics include abortion, religion, greed, and the law of attraction, among others. Some readers may disagree with some of the author’s viewpoints, which at times lean liberal and criticize parts of the American Republican party and certain religious doctrines. In particular, the author criticizes unquestioningly believing what one is told, but still maintains the importance of individual thought and belief. I believe most readers will be able to come away with some new insight, however, as this is not a book intended to be read closed-mindedly.

The book is well edited. There are a few awkward sentences that may require rereading, but ultimately few errors. The sentences are sometimes clunky and repetitive, but this is not overly distracting.

Followed my Star may appeal to readers who are beginning a path to explore new philosophy. In my own opinion, I believe the claim that this book will guide you through self-exploration is overstated, however. The chapters outline the author’s philosophies, but this is not a self-help book. The book is more of an essay collection of personal viewpoints or like a personal journal rather than a solution to find the way out of chaos. Overall, I give Followed my Star 2 out of 4 stars.

Followed my Star
View: on Bookshelves

Like gaporter's review? Post a comment saying so!
Kdonegan91
Favorite Author: Wanda E. Brunstetter
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 202">Never Cry Again</a>
Currently Reading: Ironbark Hill
Bookshelf Size: 75
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdonegan91.html
Latest Review: "A Matter of Faith" by Duke Woodrick
Reading Device: 1400699169
fav_author_id: 19883

Post by Kdonegan91 »

Thank you for such an honest and well-written review.
When you change the way you look at things, the things you look at change. - Wayne Dyer
Latest Review: "A Matter of Faith" by Duke Woodrick
Insightsintobooks
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-insightsintobooks.html
Latest Review: "Gates to Tangier" by Mois Benarroch
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by Insightsintobooks »

I think this book sounds interesting. I like to read others viewpoints on finding peace. Thank you for your review.
Latest Review: "Gates to Tangier" by Mois Benarroch
gaporter
Currently Reading:

Post by gaporter »

Insightsintobooks wrote:I think this book sounds interesting. I like to read others viewpoints on finding peace. Thank you for your review.
Yes, I like to read others viewpoints on topics like peace, too. It can be quite illuminating, sometimes. Thank you!
Izesicle
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 140
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-izesicle.html
Latest Review: With Malice Aforethought by Thonie Hevron
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Izesicle »

As open minded as i was, the book did not encourage self exploration for me. Feel free to check out my review. I rated it 1 out of 4 stars.
gaporter
Currently Reading:

Post by gaporter »

Izesicle wrote:As open minded as i was, the book did not encourage self exploration for me. Feel free to check out my review. I rated it 1 out of 4 stars.
I agree, I did not feel inspired after reading this book. I think it's claims were overstated. Thank you.

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”