Official Review: Don't Worry, We'll Make It by Leo Billings

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
e-tasana-williams
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 141
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-e-tasana-williams.html
Latest Review: Monkey Mind Madness by Sharon Dorival
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Official Review: Don't Worry, We'll Make It by Leo Billings

Post by e-tasana-williams »

[Following is the official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Don't Worry, We'll Make It" by Leo Billings.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Have you ever heard of the term "serentrepid"? Probably not, unless you have read Don't Worry, We'll Make It: The Art of Serene Fearlessness by Leo Bilings. Mr. Billings coins the term and writes "serentrepid is a combination formed from the words serene and intrepid, meaning a serene fearlessness." (P.11) Written almost like a devotional, with short affirmations that should be reflected on one at a time, this book describes Mr. Billings' belief system which rejects dogma, and values observation, critical thinking, personal choice, self control and failure. He asks the big questions of existence, such as "How did this all come about? Where did I come from? Do I go anywhere after I die?" (P.13)

His stated goal in the description of the book is to present short entries geared toward "the Twitter generation". He accomplishes this goal with an attractive layout. Quotes by Nietzsche, Aristotle, Helen Keller and Gandhi, among others, alternate with one- to two-page affirmations of the author's belief system. There are 45 short chapters, a clickable table of contents and ten lined pages at the end of the book for readers' personal notes and reflections on the text. It is written from the first person perspective, speaking directly to the reader.

Mr. Billings has a Christian background, having completed seminary when he was younger, but the beliefs put forward in the book are not Christian in their entirety. In "The Serentrepid Tenets" Mr. Billings repeats the recurring theme of the book when he writes, "I am here to love others, do good works, and forgive those who offend me." (P.19) Kindness, hope, responsibility and charity are values discussed in the work, but the author also makes statements that are not biblical. For example, in his meditation on suffering, Mr. Billings writes "I don't need to pray and ask for God's intervention..." (P.49), and in "Spiritual Intervention" he asserts that "God does not intervene in the world..." (P.123) The author shrugs off being labeled or placed in any known category, hence the term "serentrepid".

The author's opposition to being affiliated with any known religion is often thwarted by his use of biblical precepts and allusions to scriptures. For example, in the piece titled "Religion", he paraphrases 1 Corinthians 13 in his discussion of the hypocrisy of works without love.

The sum impression the reader comes away with is that Mr. Billings has spent much time considering the big questions inherent in the human condition, and that he does not take them lightly. While he may not have answers to all the questions, he has found a way to live his life in constant awareness of them, and to be at peace as he does. My favorite pieces in the collection are "I'm Afraid to Quit" and "Don't Make Me a Victim". In the former the author argues for quitting and starting afresh as a means to greater success when the current path is obviously failing. In the latter the author rejects being called a victim, as victimhood hinders progress and helping others.

I rate this book 3 out of 4 stars. The content is thought-provoking, the layout is appealing, the electronic format is user-friendly and the entire work appears to be professionally edited. What keeps me from giving Don't Worry We'll Make It: The Art of Serene Fearlessness a higher rating is the inconsistent voice. While Mr. Billings rejects organized religion, the apparent foundation for his serene fearlessness is Christianity. He makes several statements that are not biblical, but much of the work paraphrases scriptural concepts.

Don't Worry, We'll Make It
View: on Bookshelves | on Barnes and Noble

Like e-tasana-williams's review? Post a comment saying so!
Once you learn to read, you will be forever free ~ Frederick Douglas
sm1234
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sm1234.html

Post by sm1234 »

Great review. This doesn't seem like my kind of read though.
Thanks for sharing this with us. :)
Kcpeace
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Kcpeace »

Great review! There is something calling me to read it, perhaps my own questions on the meaning of life.
Elaine5
Currently Reading: Great Expectations
Bookshelf Size: 47
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-elaine5.html
Latest Review: "The pact with the Devil" by Robert J. DeLuca

Post by Elaine5 »

Thanks for this review. While I'm intrigued by your description of the book I think I would be annoyed by the contradictions.
Latest Review: "The pact with the Devil" by Robert J. DeLuca
BestReviews
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 2">Walking In Blind: A Collection of Poetry</a>
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bestreviews.html
Latest Review: "That Place of Knowledge" by Philip Alan Shalka

Post by BestReviews »

I am in love with the cover page, it so much appealing that you just want to read this book. I am glad you liked the book too.

Thank you for the review.
BestReviews
Latest Review: "That Place of Knowledge" by Philip Alan Shalka
Gifty Naa Akushia
Currently Reading: HEALTH TIPS, MYTHS, AND TRICKS
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gifty-naa-akushia.html
Latest Review: "Tips, Myths and Rips: A Physician's Advice" by Morton E.Tavel
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by Gifty Naa Akushia »

Great review, the information on the cover page however gave me an entirely different expectations.
Latest Review: "Tips, Myths and Rips: A Physician's Advice" by Morton E.Tavel
BookHausJ
Currently Reading: Health Tips Myth and Tricks
Bookshelf Size: 667
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookhausj.html
Latest Review: "Who Told You That You Were Naked?" by William Combs

Post by BookHausJ »

I can only judge this book if I can read it. Hope I can find time to read it. Very nice review.Thanks!
Latest Review: "Who Told You That You Were Naked?" by William Combs
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: Believarexic
Bookshelf Size: 486
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

I dislike twitter, but I see where the author is coming from. I like that they are short affirmations. I think that's a great idea. Thanks for the devotional!
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Julius J James
Currently Reading: Herculubus or Red Planet
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-julius-james-1.html
Latest Review: Natural Relief for Anxiety and Stress by Gustavo Kinrys, MD
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by Julius J James »

Mr Billing is a God fearing person with kindness and hope. I love the way he creates time to think of his life and ways of eradicating obstacles. wonderful review!
Aisha Yakub
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 183
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aisha-yakub.html
Latest Review: A New War by Alexander Farah

Post by Aisha Yakub »

I think the double standard in Mr. Billings tone is something to worry about. Why oppose a particular religion if you're going to use its tenets anyway?
Beauty Kalu22
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-segunjohn.html
Latest Review: A Dream For Peace by Dr. Ghoulem Berrah

Post by Beauty Kalu22 »

Thank you for a well detailed and honest review. I've always loved non fiction books and this sounds like one I'll definitely love to have for myself.
Stevenmusk
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 60
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stevenmusk.html
Latest Review: Under the Blue Moon by Joan Schweighardt

Post by Stevenmusk »

This seems insightful and useful. I look forward to reading it.
Hazel Mae Bagarinao
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 148
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hazel-mae-bagarinao.html
Latest Review: The Sound of Creation by Gabriella Zielke

Post by Hazel Mae Bagarinao »

Serentrepid as serene fearlessness is a new word to me. Mr. Billing seems to show fearlessness in giving all his affirmations laid out in this book. The reviewer put a lot of examples and I like it.
"Less is more." ~ Ludwig Mies Van Der Rohe

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”