Official Review: Protestants by Alain Marshall

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
e-tasana-williams
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 141
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-e-tasana-williams.html
Latest Review: Monkey Mind Madness by Sharon Dorival
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Official Review: Protestants by Alain Marshall

Post by e-tasana-williams »

[Following is the official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Protestants" by Alain Marshall.]
Book Cover
2 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

American history books describe pilgrims coming to America in the 1600s to escape religious persecution, but have you ever wondered about the details of their life in England prior to crossing the Atlantic? Did you know that both Protestants and Jesuits were in Japan during this time? You may know what the pilgrims were against, but do you know what they were in favor of? Alain Howard Marshall's nonfiction book Protestants goes into these details with previously untold stories about England's 17th century religious separatists.

Most of the 25 chapters describe significant figures in the early history of the Protestant church: Robert Browne, William Brewster, Rose Hickman and John Smith, among others. The text is written as a correction of popular history of the early Protestants. What is known as the Coverdale Bible, Marshall argues, should be called the Tyndale Bible. Marshall writes that William Tyndale is responsible for writing English translations of some books/stories in today's Holy Bible, including the book of Ruth and the story of Pesach (Passover).

Marshall also includes several stories of the persecution Protestants faced for separating themselves from the Roman Catholic church. For example, William Tyndale was burned at the stake in 1536 for spreading the heresy that anyone can get into heaven by believing in Jesus Christ. In March of 1537 those found guilty of demonstrating against the Roman Catholic church were hanged, drawn and quartered. I can't help but think of Christians who are persecuted in similar barbaric ways around the world today for practicing their faith.

I would like to read this book again after it is edited. Grammatical errors, sentence fragments, misspelled words and misuse of punctuation make it difficult to understand the content on each of the 275 pages of this book. Aside from the editing, I would also like to see a works cited page, or bibliography included. The facts are interesting, but citations would add credibility to the contents, as many of the stories have an anecdotal feel to them.

I rate Protestants 2 out of 4 stars. The information included is valuable, especially as part of English and early American history. In addition, the inclusion of more common meanings of old English words is helpful. Examples are when "fairnite" is explained to be a fortnight, or two weeks; and "natheless" is defined as nonetheless in the text. Even with those two positives, the book is very difficult to get through due to the lack of professional editing. Mr. Marshall is clearly enthusiastic about his subject and has much to share with his audience, but not many readers will be willing to persevere long enough to complete the whole text.

Protestants
View: on Bookshelves

Like e-tasana-williams's review? Post a comment saying so!
Once you learn to read, you will be forever free ~ Frederick Douglas
greenstripedgiraffe
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: The New Strong-Willed Child
Bookshelf Size: 274
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-greenstripedgiraffe.html
Latest Review: Swarm by Guy Morris

Post by greenstripedgiraffe »

Thanks for the review. I looked at this one and wondered how interesting (and factual) could it be. I agree with you that citations would add credibility to the stories rather than wondering how much is fact and how much is opinion. Good job on the review!
"no one down here" --- Up the Down Staircase
Latest Review: Swarm by Guy Morris
Kdonegan91
Favorite Author: Wanda E. Brunstetter
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 202">Never Cry Again</a>
Currently Reading: Ironbark Hill
Bookshelf Size: 75
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdonegan91.html
Latest Review: "A Matter of Faith" by Duke Woodrick
Reading Device: 1400699169
fav_author_id: 19883

Post by Kdonegan91 »

Great review! I agree that citations and editing are a must in non- fiction books that contain an abundant amount of information.
When you change the way you look at things, the things you look at change. - Wayne Dyer
Latest Review: "A Matter of Faith" by Duke Woodrick
Lincoln
Favorite Author: Stephen King
Currently Reading: The Very Loving Caterpillar
Bookshelf Size: 48
Publishing Contest Votes: 9
fav_author_id: 2376

Post by Lincoln »

I appreciate the honest review and the editing is enough to turn me away.
Lincoln's book, Raven's Peak is the OnlineBookClub.org April 2017 Book of the Month.

View Raven's Peak on Lincoln's website.

View Raven's Peak on Bookshelves
Sarah_Khan
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 3700">Gone With the Wind</a>
Currently Reading: Circe
Bookshelf Size: 336
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sarah-khan.html
Latest Review: The Formidable King by Alyssa J. Montgomery

Post by Sarah_Khan »

Great job on the review. :) I remember thinking about reading this but after I read the sample, as you said, I also found it confusing to read and I remember it being quite long. Kudos to you for finishing it! :tiphat:
LivreAmour217
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Too many to count
Favorite Book: Ditto
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 294
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-livreamour217.html
Latest Review: Island Games by Caleb J. Boyer

Post by LivreAmour217 »

Wonderful review! This sounds like a worthwhile book, and I would love to read an edited version of it. The Pilgrims tend to get a bad rap these days, and objective information is hard to come by.
"Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one." - Albert Einstein
Izesicle
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 140
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-izesicle.html
Latest Review: With Malice Aforethought by Thonie Hevron

Post by Izesicle »

I voluntarily took a hit on my scorecard because I didn't want to finish reading it to review. It was so painful to read. I should have read your review first.
MrsCatInTheHat
Favorite Book: Cry the Beloved Country
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 376
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mrscatinthehat.html
Latest Review: Marc Marci by Larry G. Goldsmith
Publishing Contest Votes: 0

Post by MrsCatInTheHat »

Works cited are inherently necessary to this type of book. Both for credibility and to aid the reader who wants to "know more".
Life without a good book is something MrsCatInTheHat cannot imagine.

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”