Official Review: Slave to the Dream by Gaylan D Wright

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Kdonegan91
Favorite Author: Wanda E. Brunstetter
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 202">Never Cry Again</a>
Currently Reading: Ironbark Hill
Bookshelf Size: 75
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdonegan91.html
Latest Review: "A Matter of Faith" by Duke Woodrick
Reading Device: 1400699169
fav_author_id: 19883

Official Review: Slave to the Dream by Gaylan D Wright

Post by Kdonegan91 »

[Following is the official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Slave to the Dream" by Gaylan D Wright.]
Book Cover
1 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Slave to the Dream is a memoir by Gaylan D. Wright. The author takes the reader on a journey through his life, starting with his first memory as a second grader that refused to miss recess even if that meant wetting his pants during class. He includes some other memories from his childhood, such as playing baseball with the neighborhood kids and stories about his early girlfriends. However, most of the book is about his long career in the Air Force and the people he met along the way. Wright has served his country on Air Force bases all around the world. He fulfilled the duties of numerous positions during his career spanning from a guard to a high ranking position within the Air Force police division. Also, Wright met many interesting people, including, lifelong friends, spouses, and some enemies during his countless years in the Air Force.

Even though the Slave to the Dream was meant to follow the life of the author, I felt like the book lacked chronological order, and because of this the book felt choppy and did not flow well. Wright often jumped back and forth between memories every time a new individual was added to the story. In addition, pictures were included in the book, which is a nice touch, but they were randomly placed throughout the book. Furthermore, there is an abundance of people discussed throughout this book and most seemed irrelevant to the story. He mentioned everyone from his stern and harsh grandfather to the man that sold drugs on the base. Also, Wright contradicted himself a couple times. For an example, Wright wrote this paragraph:
“I never went into any neighborhood alone unless my cousin Butch went with me. He was the only person I trusted to go places with besides my brothers or cousins. The Wright curse: All of our friends are relatives. We would walk on opposite sides of the street so just in case one of us got jumped, the other could steal on them or jump them from behind. We didn't talk about it; we just did it.”
Then two paragraphs later, Wright wrote the following contradiction:
“Mostly I walked the streets alone going to girl's houses I had met while working at Funtown Amusement Park.”
My biggest criticism about this book is the way it ended. He quickly finished the book with barely mentioning his current wife or his current life. I did not receive any background information or any details about experiences he had with the most important person in his life, his wife. Equally important, Slave to the Dream did include some grammatical and spelling errors such as missing commas and missing words and letters.

Although I did not enjoy much about this book, I will mention that Wright improved his life and I commend him for his service to our country. While he was young, Wright was a bully, stole girlfriends from his comrades, and fought often. However, as time went on, he realized his behavior and recognized that respect is the key to happiness.

I rate the Slave to the Dream by Gaylan D. Wright a 1 out of 4. I would have rated the book a two if the author had expanded the ending of the book and included further details about his current wife. Also, the memoir needs to be edited and written in chronological order. Even though I would not recommend this book, it is definitely written for a reader who enjoys the non-fiction genre. I would not recommend this book for children because it does contain curse words and discusses mature content.

Slave to the Dream
View: on Bookshelves

Like Kdonegan91's review? Post a comment saying so!
When you change the way you look at things, the things you look at change. - Wayne Dyer
Guppy
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-guppy.html
Latest Review: "Aftermath" by Gary Gaudin

Post by Guppy »

A good and honest review. Sounds like this book would be greatly improved with your editing and structuring suggestions.
Latest Review: "Aftermath" by Gary Gaudin
Kdonegan91
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 202">Never Cry Again</a>

Post by Kdonegan91 »

Thank you :)
When you change the way you look at things, the things you look at change. - Wayne Dyer
greenstripedgiraffe
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: The New Strong-Willed Child
Bookshelf Size: 274
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-greenstripedgiraffe.html
Latest Review: Swarm by Guy Morris

Post by greenstripedgiraffe »

Good review! Thanks for sticking it out even though it was not a book you would recommend! I hope the author works more on it!
"no one down here" --- Up the Down Staircase
Latest Review: Swarm by Guy Morris
Kdonegan91

Post by Kdonegan91 »

kimmyschemy06
Currently Reading: The Searching Three
Bookshelf Size: 694
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kimmyschemy06.html
Latest Review: Kazi Boku by M. Poyhonen

Post by kimmyschemy06 »

That was a very honest review. The book sounds inspiring but it seems like it needs improvement. Good job on the review.
Kdonegan91

Post by Kdonegan91 »

Thank you! :)
KAV
Bookshelf Size: 69
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kav.html
Latest Review: "Angelica" by Clabe Polk

Post by KAV »

I liked how you honestly reviewed the novel, but still said good things about the author. It was a positive review considering how you rating the book.
Latest Review: "Angelica" by Clabe Polk
Kdonegan91

Post by Kdonegan91 »

MarisaRose
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 665">Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban</a>
Currently Reading: The Family Upstairs
Bookshelf Size: 435
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-marisarose.html
Latest Review: The Magic Shard by eelonqa K harris
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by MarisaRose »

Too bad it sounds like this one really missed the mark! I agree, when a character continually contradicts themselves, it can be tedious and make you lose faith in the writing. Great job on the review; I appreciate your honesty!
Kdonegan91

Post by Kdonegan91 »

bookowlie
Special Discussion Leader
Favorite Book: The Lost Continent
Currently Reading: The Night She Went Missing
Bookshelf Size: 442
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookowlie.html
Latest Review: To Paint A Murder by E. J. Gandolfo

Post by bookowlie »

Great, honest review. It's always hard to give a low rating. You gave lots of constructive criticism for the author to use.
"The best way out is always through" - Robert Frost
Kdonegan91

Post by Kdonegan91 »

Thank You! :) I hate giving low scores but lying wouldn't benefit the author. I just hope the author takes it as constructive criticism instead of insults.
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: Believarexic
Bookshelf Size: 486
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

Interesting. I really only read biographies if it's someone I really want to learn about. This definitely is not for me especially because it's not well written.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Kdonegan91

Post by Kdonegan91 »

I enjoy biographies. However, not this particular book.

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”