Official Review: Leap by Nancy Xia

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
L_Therese
Currently Reading: American Psycho
Bookshelf Size: 1970
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-l-therese.html
Latest Review: The Middle Ages by Jane Chance

Official Review: Leap by Nancy Xia

Post by L_Therese »

[Following is the official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Leap" by Nancy Xia.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

There are some things that people prefer not to discuss, and one of those topics is suicide. According to the American Foundation for Suicide Prevention, suicide is the 10th leading cause of death in the United States with more than 40,000 suicides annually. Added to these devastating statistics are the estimated 25 suicide attempts for every completed suicide. With statistics like these, the majority of Americans probably know someone who has attempted or committed suicide. When someone chooses to take his or her own life, friends and family always want to know why he/she made that choice and if there was anything they could have done to prevent it. Unfortunately, for many cases, those questions can never be answered. Nancy Xia’s book Leap: Into the Mind of a Suicide tells the author’s own story of suicidality, shedding light on her thoughts and feelings as she struggled with mental illness, pressure from well-meaning family members, and the recovery process.

Leap is a non-fiction memoir that chronicles the author’s thoughts and feelings as she transitions from passive suicidality (wishing you were dead or had never been born) to attempting suicide and then into the journey toward recovery. This window into her mind shows how she perceived others’ words and actions. No matter how well-meaning, some expressions of love and devotion exacerbate feelings of guilt and self-blame. Sometimes therapy backfires. Sometimes the side effects of medications end up making a patient feel worse.

The book is thorough in its scope, talking about both the causes and the effects. There is a good deal of information on mental illness, including a special section in the back of the book that tries to answer common questions about some of the conditions discussed in the text. On the other end, the book doesn’t shy away from talking about the effects of a suicide attempt, including physical, mental, emotional, and spiritual impacts on the individual as well as impacts on the family. There is discussion of the implications for romantic relationships and even some discussion on the financial impacts of the suicide attempt on the author’s family.

Yet another important aspect of this book is the way it links culture to the author’s experiences. The author was born in China but had been living in Canada for quite a while before her suicide attempt. Throughout the book, she discusses how her family’s culture framed not only her own perspective but also their responses to her struggles and her recovery. Because this integration of culture helps the reader understand the author herself better, it personalizes her and informs the reader about her journey to and through suicidality. It’s an excellent bridge between information and engagement in the author’s story.

With all this information, the book is still very brief. Condensing so much sometimes causes the writing to become a little choppy, and I noticed one or two very minor mechanical errors in the text. However, I feel that the book’s successful delivery of its message and its raw emotionality trump these minor flaws. Leap by Nancy Xia has certainly earned 4 out of 4 stars. I would like to recommend it to everyone, but I feel I should mention that those who might be triggered by a detailed discussion of suicide might want to use caution.

Leap
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon | on iTunes

Like L_Therese's review? Post a comment saying so!
Kdonegan91
Favorite Author: Wanda E. Brunstetter
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 202">Never Cry Again</a>
Currently Reading: Ironbark Hill
Bookshelf Size: 75
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdonegan91.html
Latest Review: "A Matter of Faith" by Duke Woodrick
Reading Device: 1400699169
fav_author_id: 19883

Post by Kdonegan91 »

I read and wrote a review for this book as well. I loved it too! The author did a fantastic job with such a hard topic. You wrote a well-written and informative review!
When you change the way you look at things, the things you look at change. - Wayne Dyer
Latest Review: "A Matter of Faith" by Duke Woodrick
jamesabr
Currently Reading: The Gulf
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jamesabr.html
Latest Review: "Adam Exitus" by Nicholas Abdilla
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by jamesabr »

I've heard of this book in the past, when my own passive suicidality went unchecked for months. According to your review, it covers the topic of suicide clearly and concisely (I just found out that it was only 110 pages, wow!). I'll definitely place this of my reading list for this year. Thanks for the thorough review!
:D
Latest Review: "Adam Exitus" by Nicholas Abdilla
Insightsintobooks
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-insightsintobooks.html
Latest Review: "Gates to Tangier" by Mois Benarroch
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by Insightsintobooks »

This would be a hard topic to write about. I would like to read about how her culture impacted her recovery. Thank you for the review.
Latest Review: "Gates to Tangier" by Mois Benarroch
mewsmash
Currently Reading: Animal Farm
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mewsmash.html
Latest Review: "The Expelled" by Mois Benarroch

Post by mewsmash »

An amazing review for what sounds like an amazing book. I'll have to add this to my "read" list. You handled the topic well and I congratulate you for it.
Latest Review: "The Expelled" by Mois Benarroch

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”