Official Review: A Peripatetic Life by Raymond Walley

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
kimmyschemy06
Currently Reading: The Searching Three
Bookshelf Size: 694
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kimmyschemy06.html
Latest Review: Kazi Boku by M. Poyhonen

Official Review: A Peripatetic Life by Raymond Walley

Post by kimmyschemy06 »

[Following is the official OnlineBookClub.org review of "A Peripatetic Life" by Raymond Walley.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

A Peripatetic Life: Reminiscences on an eclectic lifetime is a memoir of the author Raymond Walley. It features his very interesting life, both personal and professional, as he traveled and lived life learning new things, enjoying new experiences and meeting new people. Diagnosed with advance, inoperable and aggressive form of prostate cancer in 2015 at the age of 72, Raymond decided to write about his life expecting two possible views from the readers, either to serve as a warning to young people to plan the future better than he did, or to be seen as a lesson that achievement and fame can be had by anyone willing to study widely, learn from their experiences and see mistakes as just another way of gaining knowledge.

The oldest of five children of William Henry Walley and Rosa May Dicks, Raymond was born in March 11, 1943 in a nursing home in Birchfield, Birmingham. He has a natural love for reading and learning and displays interest in fishing and classical music. His love for traveling took him to so many places other people only read about in books.

He worked in a shoe warehouse, in the railway and in the army. He was a salesman, messenger boy, porter, soldier, communications center operator, construction worker, tea boy, truck driver, cab driver, shop keeper, butler, cook, company director, university lecturer, psychometric analyst and a single parent. He tried wine making, abseiling and rock climbing, shop keeping, singing and gardening. Among his interests were traveling, photography, railway model-making and philately. He had been to Germany, Malta, Saudi Arabia and numerous different countries in Europe.

Written in what feels like a fast forward pacing, this is a very interesting book about a very interesting person. Raymond Walley is the epitome of someone who lives life to the fullest. He is like a sponge that absorbs everything he can, and turns whatever knowledge he learns into something useful not only for himself but also for others. He lives for the moment, tries new things and savors the experience with great relish. Despite some pitfalls, like eviction, bankruptcy, termination and failed marriages, Raymond’s zest for life never wavers nor does he lose faith in love and finding someone to share the rest of his life with.

With a consistent light hearted tone, this is a very entertaining and inspiring book about a person with great appreciation for life and enthusiasm for learning, who lives in constant wonder for what life has to offer each day and whose interests and skills keep him self-sufficient and constantly preoccupied. Likewise, he is aware of his flaws and mistakes and admits to doing things other people might not approve of.

However, I notice some typo errors, missing words and missing punctuation marks. Moreover, I would prefer that the photographs are placed in the chapters they are mentioned instead of all at once at the end of the book. They are beautiful photographs and would undoubtedly complement the narratives and make them more interesting.

I, therefore, give this book the rate of 4 out of 4 stars. I recommend it to readers who appreciate memoirs.

A Peripatetic Life
View: on Bookshelves | on Barnes and Noble

Like kimmyschemy06's review? Post a comment saying so!
Kdonegan91
Favorite Author: Wanda E. Brunstetter
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 202">Never Cry Again</a>
Currently Reading: Ironbark Hill
Bookshelf Size: 75
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdonegan91.html
Latest Review: "A Matter of Faith" by Duke Woodrick
Reading Device: 1400699169
fav_author_id: 19883

Post by Kdonegan91 »

This sounds like such an inspiring and informative book. We all should live our lives like it's our last.. take nothing for granted. Great review!
When you change the way you look at things, the things you look at change. - Wayne Dyer
Latest Review: "A Matter of Faith" by Duke Woodrick
kimmyschemy06

Post by kimmyschemy06 »

Kdonegan91 wrote:This sounds like such an inspiring and informative book. We all should live our lives like it's our last.. take nothing for granted. Great review!
Thank you very much. It's an interesting book about a very interesting person and I enjoyed reading it :)
Heidi M Simone
Official Reviewer Representative
Favorite Book: Harry Potter
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 559
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-heidi-m-simone.html
Latest Review: GPS para el cielo by Jose Rafael Nunez Patino
Publishing Contest Votes: 27
fav_author_id: 0

Post by Heidi M Simone »

Another great review, kimmyschemy06! This sounds like such an inspiring and motivating read. I'm glad that the errors didn't hinder your enjoyment of the book! Thank you to the author for sharing his story and congratulations on receiving such a positive review!
Heidi
Official Reviewer Representative

"There is nothing as powerful as a mother’s love, and nothing as healing as a child’s soul." – Unknown
kimmyschemy06

Post by kimmyschemy06 »

hsimone wrote:Another great review, kimmyschemy06! This sounds like such an inspiring and motivating read. I'm glad that the errors didn't hinder your enjoyment of the book! Thank you to the author for sharing his story and congratulations on receiving such a positive review!
Thank you very much. I really enjoyed reading this book. The author lived such a very interesting life :)
gali
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: Pride and Prejudice in Space
Bookshelf Size: 2288
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
Publishing Contest Votes: 0
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by gali »

Sounds like an inspiring and touching book. It seems like the author led an interesting life. He certainly has the right approach to life. I salute him for his determination and zest for life. Thank you for the review!
A retired Admin/Mod

Pronouns: She/Her

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

This sounds like a truly interesting and inspiring story. I think we all hope that when our time is up, we've contributed something to this world. It sounds like Raymond did just that. Hopefully we can learn from his and others examples. Thanks for the review.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
FalgunCruz
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by FalgunCruz »

Hello there, it's an inspiring story, love it. I enjoy a lot, waiting for your next book. Thanks a lot.
hailvilla18
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hailvilla18.html
Latest Review: "Loving Marie" by Dawn Reno Langley

Post by hailvilla18 »

Thanks for the review. I have read the first few pages of the free sample on Amazon. The errors did not bother me much. It is an inspiring story. I think I'm going to love and enjoy the story.
Latest Review: "Loving Marie" by Dawn Reno Langley
Scerakor
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 315
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-scerakor.html
Latest Review: Gaslighting & Narcissistic Abuse Recovery: by Don Barlow

Post by Scerakor »

I'm not particularly a fan of memoirs, but it seems like this man has something to say about his life at the very least! What a wide variety of jobs, hobbies, and experiences to knock off during a lifetime.
Ellie Gatillo
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 74609">The Devil and Miss Prym</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1034
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ellieonline03.html
Latest Review: Quest for Closure by David B. McKinney
2024 Reading Goal: 12
2024 Goal Completion: 0%

Post by Ellie Gatillo »

Wow, the author has lived a varied life. His past experiences were unusual, and he had odd jobs, too! Looking forward to the rest of his adventure in this memoir. I hope the author lived longer than what his doctor said.Congratulations on a well-written review!
"For you, a thousand times over." - The Kite Runner by Khaled Hosseini
Gingerbo0ks
Currently Reading: All the Crooked Saints
Bookshelf Size: 168
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gingerbo0ks.html
Latest Review: "Strong Heart" by Charlie Sheldon
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Gingerbo0ks »

What an inspiring and nostalgic book, with a beautiful message. I imagine this would be quite a touching read, sounds like the author has packed a lot into his years.
"One must always be careful of books, and what is inside them, for words have the power to change us.”
― Cassandra Clare, Clockwork Angel
Latest Review: "Strong Heart" by Charlie Sheldon
LivreAmour217
Favorite Author: Too many to count
Favorite Book: Ditto
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 294
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-livreamour217.html
Latest Review: Island Games by Caleb J. Boyer

Post by LivreAmour217 »

Wonderful review, as always! This sounds like a very uplifting book. I like learning about people who have made a good living by working hard and not being afraid to try something new! I think people my age (35) and younger need to hear stories like this one. We've been brainwashed into believing that we have to excel in one specific career to be successful, and it's holding so many people back!
"Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one." - Albert Einstein
micoleon13
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 96
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-micoleon13.html
Latest Review: Sandusky Burning by Bryan W. Conway

Post by micoleon13 »

This sounds like a very interesting man, with a very eclectic life. He seems to have faced his cancer diagnosis with a quiet dignity and using it as an opportunity to share his experiences over the years with others. I would like to read the rest of the book to learn more about his life.
Great review.
Amagine
Favorite Author: James Patterson
Bookshelf Size: 721
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amagine.html
Latest Review: "Salome and Gogo visit Soweto" by Cora Groenewald
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG
fav_author_id: 3251

Post by Amagine »

I love that this is a book that encourages one to live life to the fullest. The author took the time to reminiscence about his life and all of his adventures. It makes readers realize that life is short so we need to live as full of it as we can.
"Piglet noticed that even though he had a very small heart, it could hold a rather large amount of gratitude." -A.A Milne

"I am grateful for all the books that sparked my imagination." -Unknown
Latest Review: "Salome and Gogo visit Soweto" by Cora Groenewald

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”