Official Review: Seatbelt Required by Beth Kellar

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
bookowlie
Special Discussion Leader
Favorite Book: The Lost Continent
Currently Reading: The Night She Went Missing
Bookshelf Size: 442
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookowlie.html
Latest Review: To Paint A Murder by E. J. Gandolfo

Official Review: Seatbelt Required by Beth Kellar

Post by bookowlie »

[Following is the official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Seatbelt Required" by Beth Kellar.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Seatbelt Required by Beth Kellar is a self-help book about dating in middle age. After her twenty-eight-year marriage ends, the author begins dating in her early fifties. She finds the process awkward and becomes interested in learning about other people’s experiences. Dating in today’s world often involves meeting through online dating sites. This modern method brings its own set of pitfalls. One common side effect is that people become pickier when there is an overabundance of potential partners to select from. You might not give someone a chance if you think there are tons of subsequent choices that might be better.

The author shares a few of her own experiences dipping her feet back in the dating world. As part of her research, she also conducted fifty interviews with men and women ages 45-60 in order to determine what people are looking for in a partner and what dating is like for mature singles.

The book is written in an easy to understand, straightforward style. The format is laid out well with chapters on subjects such as safety tips or creating a user profile for a dating site. Many of the tips are the types of things you could figure out on your own. Meeting in a public place, not revealing information about your finances, and the red flag of someone asking for money are well-known pieces of advice.

Based on the introduction, I had expected that the focus would be on dating in middle age. However, much of the information is not age-specific and could apply to dating at any age. I also thought there would be more firsthand accounts of the author’s experiences after divorce. Except for two snippets of the first two men she met after joining a dating site, the book has more of an impersonal feel – for example, get a haircut, places to go on a first date, don’t talk about your ex, etc.

The information is well researched with safety tips from the Match.com website and quotes from relationship experts. However, there is so much information gathered from other sources that the book sometimes seems more like a compilation of advice from experts rather than the author’s own thoughts on the matter. There are several chapters that consist of guidelines which are attributed to a particular expert’s book or website. Also, it would have been more interesting if the personal stories from interviews had been sprinkled throughout the book; instead, these anecdotes are placed in one lump in the final sections. Featuring these realistic and humorous stories along the way would have broken up the stream of advice.

There is an insightful chapter that takes a look at the difficulties adult children have when a parent starts dating and adds a new partner to the family. The author includes a compelling interview with an adult child in this section. Two successive chapters about where to go on dates are fairly redundant. The first of these chapters suggests places to go for a first date beyond the stereotypical meeting for coffee, a drink, or dinner. The next chapter discusses unique things to do on the next date. However, the same suggestions are included in both sections. I did a double-take while reading to make sure I hadn’t read the same chapter twice.

I rate this book 3 out of 4 stars. It’s a quick read and there is a lot of useful advice all in one convenient place. I can’t say I learned anything new, but the organized layout makes it easy to find information about specific topics. Mature readers who are looking for Mr. or Mrs. Right would likely enjoy this guide, particularly if they need help navigating dating websites and want to avoid the dangers of meeting someone new.

Seatbelt Required
View: on Bookshelves

Like bookowlie's review? Post a comment saying so!
"The best way out is always through" - Robert Frost
Heidi M Simone
Official Reviewer Representative
Favorite Book: Harry Potter
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 559
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-heidi-m-simone.html
Latest Review: GPS para el cielo by Jose Rafael Nunez Patino
Publishing Contest Votes: 27
fav_author_id: 0

Post by Heidi M Simone »

Another great review, bookowlie! It sounds like an interesting concept, but for something like this, like you, I think the author's firsthand experiences would have made this a better read. I have found my Mr. Right, so this book doesn't seem like it would for me, but I'm sure there are plenty who would find it useful!
Heidi
Official Reviewer Representative

"There is nothing as powerful as a mother’s love, and nothing as healing as a child’s soul." – Unknown
bookowlie

Post by bookowlie »

Thanks! It was odd that the author didn't include more of her own experiences It would have given the book a more personal touch.
Kdonegan91
Favorite Author: Wanda E. Brunstetter
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 202">Never Cry Again</a>
Currently Reading: Ironbark Hill
Bookshelf Size: 75
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdonegan91.html
Latest Review: "A Matter of Faith" by Duke Woodrick
Reading Device: 1400699169
fav_author_id: 19883

Post by Kdonegan91 »

It sounds like it was more of a dating informational guide than the author's personal experiences and advice. I am married so this one isn't for me. However, I am glad you liked it.
When you change the way you look at things, the things you look at change. - Wayne Dyer
Latest Review: "A Matter of Faith" by Duke Woodrick
bookowlie

Post by bookowlie »

Kdonegan91 wrote:It sounds like it was more of a dating informational guide than the author's personal experiences and advice. I am married so this one isn't for me. However, I am glad you liked it.
Same here...married and don't need dating advice. :) For people that might like tips when starting over after a long marriage (like the author), it's probably helpful although most of the advice seemed like common sense and not something you would need to read the book to know.
gali
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: Pride and Prejudice in Space
Bookshelf Size: 2288
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
Publishing Contest Votes: 0
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by gali »

Not for me (married as well), but it seems like it might be useful for those who need help navigating dating websites. Great review as always!
A retired Admin/Mod

Pronouns: She/Her

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
bookowlie

Post by bookowlie »

Thank Gali! I agree that some people might find the tips on online dating useful.
James Craft
Favorite Author: Lincoln Cole
Currently Reading: Carnivore
Bookshelf Size: 51
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-james-craft.html
Latest Review: "Perdido Bay Blues" by Jacqueline Lane
fav_author_id: 26410

Post by James Craft »

bookowlie wrote:Thanks! It was odd that the author didn't include more of her own experiences It would have given the book a more personal touch.
That does seem odd and an easy way to fix up the book to make it more appealing. I wonder if maybe the author didn't want to make the book about herself and simply overcorrected.
Latest Review: "Perdido Bay Blues" by Jacqueline Lane
bookowlie

Post by bookowlie »

James Craft wrote:
bookowlie wrote:Thanks! It was odd that the author didn't include more of her own experiences It would have given the book a more personal touch.
That does seem odd and an easy way to fix up the book to make it more appealing. I wonder if maybe the author didn't want to make the book about herself and simply overcorrected.
Good point!
kimmyschemy06
Currently Reading: The Searching Three
Bookshelf Size: 694
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kimmyschemy06.html
Latest Review: Kazi Boku by M. Poyhonen

Post by kimmyschemy06 »

Sounds like an interesting and entertaining book for a married woman like myself :) I think the part that I would be most interested in (if I were dating) would be the chapter about having adult children. I think that is some kind of a problem to some people. Great job on the review.
bookowlie

Post by bookowlie »

kimmyschemy06 wrote:Sounds like an interesting and entertaining book for a married woman like myself :) I think the part that I would be most interested in (if I were dating) would be the chapter about having adult children. I think that is some kind of a problem to some people. Great job on the review.
Agree, agree, agree! I would think it's a sticky situation to date when either person has kids of any age.
kandscreeley
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

At first I thought you said this was a self help book about dating in the middle ages. I was like, what?? :) Anyway, it's too bad the author didn't include more personal stories. I think that would have made it even more interesting. Still, sounds good. Thanks for the review.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
bookowlie

Post by bookowlie »

Hahaha - I have done that before, where I read something too quickly and mixed up the word and meaning. The book was still good, although I had expected the author would have share more stories about her own experiences.

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”