Official Review: Not One More

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Kdonegan91
Favorite Author: Wanda E. Brunstetter
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 202">Never Cry Again</a>
Currently Reading: Ironbark Hill
Bookshelf Size: 75
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdonegan91.html
Latest Review: "A Matter of Faith" by Duke Woodrick
Reading Device: 1400699169
fav_author_id: 19883

Official Review: Not One More

Post by Kdonegan91 »

[Following is the official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Not One More" by Carrie Andrews (Carrie Stoever).]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Sometimes it doesn't matter how adequate of a parent you are or how protective you are of your children, horrible things can still happen to them. Unfortunately, this world is full of wolves in sheep's clothing. That is exactly what Kathryn Ferris learns in the non-fiction book Not One More by Carrie Andrews. Kathryn is a working single mother of three (Danny, Kristi, and Patti) that loves her children profoundly and would do anything to protect them. However, that all changes when she decides to date her long-time best friend, Wayne. He seems like the perfect man in numerous ways and Kathryn believes he is a gift from God. Wayne not only loves her deeply, but he is a phenomenal father-figure to her children. Also, Danny, Kristi, and Patti harmonize easily with Wayne's children since they are about the same age. After six years, the family falls apart dramatically. Kathryn must decide how to protect Danny while making sure justice is served. How far would you go to protect your child? Are some actions completely unforgivable?

Carrie Andrews uses the first portion of her book to develop the characters. She does a fantastic job at showing the raw emotion of each character. I loved reading about her history with Wayne because it undoubtedly makes the climax of the story even more emotional and traumatizing. One memory I enjoyed was when Kathryn and Wayne embark on an annual kayaking trip in Michigan with Kathryn's friends. During the trip, the author emphasizes the trust, love, and care they possess for each other. Their relationship thrives and so does the relationship between Wayne and Danny. Equally important, the book is professionally written and did not contain any errors.

On the other hand, I felt like the book slowly progressed following the climax of the story. Also, I felt like some of the conversations should have been excluded from the book such as the conversation between Kathryn and her ex-mother-in-law. It did not pertain to the book and did not affect the outcome. Furthermore, the letter Kathryn wrote to her ex-husband and ex-mother-in-law were not important either.

I give Not One More by Carrie Andrews a 3 out of 4. I would have happily given the book a four out of four if the book had progressed more smoothly. However, the book deserves at least a rating of three, since I thoroughly enjoyed reading it. Furthermore, the author did a fantastic job of developing the characters. Since I am also a mother of three children, I had a connection with Kathryn and could certainly feel her emotion.

I do not believe this book was written for a specific audience. On the other hand, I would not recommend it to a young reader due to the sexual circumstances. Also, I believe a parent would appreciate this book more than someone who is not a mother or father. Overall, I would recommend this book to anyone above the age of eighteen.

Not One More
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Kdonegan91's review? Post a comment saying so!
When you change the way you look at things, the things you look at change. - Wayne Dyer
MarisaRose
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 665">Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban</a>
Currently Reading: The Family Upstairs
Bookshelf Size: 435
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-marisarose.html
Latest Review: The Magic Shard by eelonqa K harris
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by MarisaRose »

This sounds like an interesting book! I'm glad the author was able to capture the raw emotion of each character; that always makes it much easier to relate to a character. Too bad the book moves slowly after the climax; sounds a bit disappointing.
bookowlie
Special Discussion Leader
Favorite Book: The Lost Continent
Currently Reading: The Night She Went Missing
Bookshelf Size: 442
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookowlie.html
Latest Review: To Paint A Murder by E. J. Gandolfo

Post by bookowlie »

Great review! I like how you explained what the book is about without giving too much away. I am glad you enjoyed the story despite the issues you mentioned.
"The best way out is always through" - Robert Frost
Kdonegan91
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 202">Never Cry Again</a>

Post by Kdonegan91 »

Thank you both for your comments. Much appreciated! Even though the last portion of the book progressed slowly, I still enjoyed the story.
When you change the way you look at things, the things you look at change. - Wayne Dyer
kimmyschemy06
Currently Reading: The Searching Three
Bookshelf Size: 694
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kimmyschemy06.html
Latest Review: Kazi Boku by M. Poyhonen

Post by kimmyschemy06 »

Sounds like an interesting read and you made it sound intriguing :) However, it also sounds like 'heart-tugging' and, seemingly too emotional for my taste. Great job on the review.
Kdonegan91

Post by Kdonegan91 »

Thank you :) definitely an emotional book.

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”