Official Review: Break Your Self Help Addiction

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
e-tasana-williams
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 141
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-e-tasana-williams.html
Latest Review: Monkey Mind Madness by Sharon Dorival
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Official Review: Break Your Self Help Addiction

Post by e-tasana-williams »

[Following is the official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Break Your Self Help Addiction" by Brian D. Ridgway.]
Book Cover
2 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Break Your Self Help Addiction by Brian D. Ridgway is a personal development book urging people to find total liberation from their problems in life, and not simply the transformation found by completing many other self-help programs. Mr. Ridgway shares some of his personal history at the beginning of the book, discussing how he participated in Christianity, Buddhism, Hinduism, Dianetics, Scientology and Reiki in an attempt to improve his life. He writes of his great financial success and ability to help others, but not being able to feel completely successful. He summarizes the self-help cycle he experienced in a similar way to a dieting cycle. He relates his experience of wanting to change his life, investing in a self-help program, applying the information, failing at the program, and then wanting another self-help approach.

Two major concepts in the book are the Theory of Constraints and the Level 5 Paradigm. Mr. Ridgway writes that the Theory of Constraints boils down to being able to succeed in life, regardless of preparation, if there is a significant hindrance in place. He proposes that everyone has the same "core constraint": that we see ourselves and the world as physical and separate entities. He argues that people are not physical beings but "non-physical light energy arising and passing away, arising and passing away, a septillion times per second". When people view themselves and everything around them as energy, Mr. Ridgway argues, they will be able to live according to the Level 5 Paradigm, which is that we are "perfect, eternal and complete with no flaws, faults or badness--or goodness". If people can adopt these beliefs, he writes, they will experience limitless possibilities and be able to live the life they want.

This book is short but dense. Time is required to understand the material, especially for those readers completely unfamiliar with the concepts. It is written in a conversational tone, with the author speaking directly to the reader, and there are online videos and resources that expand on topics covered in the book. Mr. Ridgway encourages readers to view and complete these activities in order to experience the full effect of the program.

Readers who subscribe to metaphysical approaches to the world will appreciate Break Your Self Help Addiction. The quantum physics described and the metaphysical nature of the program will resonate with this segment of Mr. Ridgway's audience.

Readers from some religious backgrounds may not enjoy this personal development text, as many of its precepts are based on the concept of self as Creator. In addition, profanity is sprinkled throughout the book, which may turn off some audience members.

There is no table of contents in the Kindle gift edition of the book I read. It would have been useful for reviewing material already covered. It also needs further editing, as there are some distracting grammatical errors. I rate this book 2 out of 4 stars.

Break Your Self Help Addiction
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like e-tasana-williams's review? Post a comment saying so!
Once you learn to read, you will be forever free ~ Frederick Douglas
Scott
Site Admin
Favorite Author: Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
Currently Reading: The Unbound Soul
Bookshelf Size: 340
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-scott.html
Publishing Contest Votes: 960
fav_author_id: 248825

Post by Scott »

Good review! :)

I'm wondering why you gave the book a 2/4. I'm not complaining about the review; I'm just curious. There doesn't seem to be too much criticism in the review.
"That virtue we appreciate is as much ours as another's. We see so much only as we possess." - Henry David Thoreau

"Non ignara mali miseris succurrere disco." Virgil, The Aeneid
e-tasana-williams
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 141
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-e-tasana-williams.html
Latest Review: Monkey Mind Madness by Sharon Dorival

Post by e-tasana-williams »

Someone else asked me the same thing. It's a good question considering the review I wrote. I rated it 2/4 because of the editing still needed and the lack of a table of contents. But also because it seemed like the author glossed over some things a reader might really have questions about. For example, he argues that we create our destiny; but I was left wondering about abuse victims, people who live in crippling poverty, and others who may not have the agency that seems to be required to complete his program. Now that I'm writing this I'm thinking I should have included it in my review! If the author had addressed these questions I probably would have given it a higher rating.
Once you learn to read, you will be forever free ~ Frederick Douglas
kei_ricky1
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by kei_ricky1 »

when you commit a mistake and you keep on making mistakes by mistakes it is your habit but it can be rehabilitate.
Annelore Trujillo
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: Strong Heart
Bookshelf Size: 170
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-annelore-trujillo.html
Latest Review: The Siberians by Simon J. Carey

Post by Annelore Trujillo »

I think it's interesting that there are online videos to help understand the information. That sounds like a great tool. Thank you for the honest review!
bookowlie
Special Discussion Leader
Favorite Book: The Lost Continent
Currently Reading: The Night She Went Missing
Bookshelf Size: 442
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookowlie.html
Latest Review: To Paint A Murder by E. J. Gandolfo

Post by bookowlie »

Scott wrote:Good review! :)

I'm wondering why you gave the book a 2/4. I'm not complaining about the review; I'm just curious. There doesn't seem to be too much criticism in the review.
-- 24 Oct 2016, 10:38 --
e-tasana-williams wrote:Someone else asked me the same thing. It's a good question considering the review I wrote. I rated it 2/4 because of the editing still needed and the lack of a table of contents. But also because it seemed like the author glossed over some things a reader might really have questions about. For example, he argues that we create our destiny; but I was left wondering about abuse victims, people who live in crippling poverty, and others who may not have the agency that seems to be required to complete his program. Now that I'm writing this I'm thinking I should have included it in my review! If the author had addressed these questions I probably would have given it a higher rating.
When I read the review, I was wondering the same thing was thanks for the additional explanation. I just figured maybe there was a really high number of grammatical errors, even though you said described it as some errors. Anyway, I enjoyed reading your review even though the book doesn't seem to be my cup of tea - I don't think I would like the dense writing style.
"The best way out is always through" - Robert Frost
Elaine5
Currently Reading: Great Expectations
Bookshelf Size: 47
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-elaine5.html
Latest Review: "The pact with the Devil" by Robert J. DeLuca

Post by Elaine5 »

I like the self as creator philosophy but this sounds a little heavy. Thanks for your review.
Latest Review: "The pact with the Devil" by Robert J. DeLuca
romantics
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 5">Frannie and Tru</a>
Currently Reading: Brave New World
Bookshelf Size: 405
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-romantics.html
Latest Review: "The Banned Book about Love" by Scott Hughes

Post by romantics »

I really like your review. The book also has a really pretty cover.
Latest Review: "The Banned Book about Love" by Scott Hughes
chrisann2780
Favorite Author: Colleen Coble
Bookshelf Size: 151
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chrisann2780.html
Latest Review: "Gates to Tangier" by Mois Benarroch
fav_author_id: 5369

Post by chrisann2780 »

I like your review and appreciate your honesty and comments regarding "Readers from some religious backgrounds may not enjoy this personal development text, as many of its precepts are based on the concept of self as Creator." I can appreciate others who are finding their way, but it may be a little heavy for me as I am a Christian. However, I downloaded a sample and am willing to read the sample to be fair to the hard work the author put into this book.
Latest Review: "Gates to Tangier" by Mois Benarroch
AA1495
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 19636">Out of the Box Awakening</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 122
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aa1495.html
Latest Review: YiaYia’s Kitchen by Brianna Koucos Midgley

Post by AA1495 »

Wish it was edited better! Thank you for your great review!
mindyg123
Currently Reading: Lycan Fallout
Bookshelf Size: 565
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mindyg123.html

Post by mindyg123 »

Great review and the ideas in this book sound interesting and I will definitely be checking this read out.
Mindyg123 :techie-studyingbrown:
Esies98
Bookshelf Size: 61
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-esies98.html

Post by Esies98 »

Too bad the author made those mistakes, the information and perspective hi makes in this books very interesting. Thank you for your review anyway, and thank you Scott for pointing out your doubts about the rating so we can all understand the issues in this book.
godreaujea
Currently Reading: Station Eleven
Bookshelf Size: 347
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-godreaujea.html
Latest Review: Island Games by Caleb J. Boyer

Post by godreaujea »

I feel like a lot of people should be able to resonate with this material.
CrescentMoon
Currently Reading: Superhighway
Bookshelf Size: 87
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-crescentmoon.html
Latest Review: "Letorian Descendants- Casey Blane Series (Book 1)" by Jodi Ann Fahey

Post by CrescentMoon »

Sounds interesting. Thanks for the review!
Latest Review: "Letorian Descendants- Casey Blane Series (Book 1)" by Jodi Ann Fahey
Heidi M Simone
Official Reviewer Representative
Favorite Book: Harry Potter
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 559
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-heidi-m-simone.html
Latest Review: GPS para el cielo by Jose Rafael Nunez Patino
Publishing Contest Votes: 27
fav_author_id: 0

Post by Heidi M Simone »

Thank you for your review. It seems like it could be helpful for some, and it's especially nice that the author wrote it s conversation tone. Too bad about the mistakes, however, it seems like this book has helped others out there. Thanks again!
Heidi
Official Reviewer Representative

"There is nothing as powerful as a mother’s love, and nothing as healing as a child’s soul." – Unknown

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”