Official Review: The Promiscuous Husband by Jenny Stanford

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
easy_dc13
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 50
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-easy-dc13.html
Latest Review: A Trace of Revenge by Lyle Howard

Official Review: The Promiscuous Husband by Jenny Stanford

Post by easy_dc13 »

[Following is the official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Promiscuous Husband" by Jenny Stanford.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

It’s the Swinging Sixties and Jennifer is young, naive, and vulnerable. This naivety results in her giving birth to a son and becoming a single mother. Broke and alone, she stumbles unto an ad in the newspaper which offers a home in exchange for housekeeping and the like. And with the added bonus of a charming employer in Jack, everything looks cool. In a couple of years, it might not be.

Jennifer then begins to see Jack for who he really is, a womaniser. On top of that he’s compulsive, selfish, and ticks every box that can make anyone living with him tick. He doesn’t mind sharing any bit of detail about his conquests and this just adds insult to the injury that Jennifer has been tending to. Many years later and Jennifer looks like she’s about to snap. After all that she’s been through, can she remain strong enough or is she done?

The Promiscuous Husband is a memoir by Jenny Stanford. I don’t read non-fiction pieces a lot but this was a nice read. Going back into the sixties was nice but what’s even nicer was Jennifer’s will to put up with her husband for a long time despite the mental strain that he had caused her.

There weren’t really many twists and turns as the book rode on the theme of Jack’s infidelity for the majority of it. But the author still manages to give us some good insight on how she went about her day, what tasks were put upon her, and many more. As I was reading the book, I was beginning to get, for lack of a better term, pissed off at Jack because of his attitude and how he didn’t pay Jennifer too much mind. I think that just speaks volumes about our flaws and humanity because for me to feel that way, a person must have had his flaws.

After much thought, I have decided to give this book a rating of 3 out of 4 stars. As I said earlier, it’s not one for thrills and such but I commend the author for always being strong throughout this experience and then being able to share her story in print. It’s not word-for-word but she would like to tell you to be decisive and be strong in order to write your story and not miss out on the best of life, don’t let others do it for you.

The Promiscuous Husband
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like easy_dc13's review? Post a comment saying so!
AA1495
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 19636">Out of the Box Awakening</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 122
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aa1495.html
Latest Review: YiaYia’s Kitchen by Brianna Koucos Midgley

Post by AA1495 »

Sounds good. Glad you enjoyed reading the book. Thank you for the review!
lane_vespertine
Currently Reading: Ilium
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lane-vespertine.html
Latest Review: "Hell Holes 2" by Donald Firesmith

Post by lane_vespertine »

Good review!
I did have a minor problems with it, though.
I felt like a sentence about how she came to marry the fellow might have helped the flow. As it is, she goes from maid to wife with no explanation. Don't get me wrong, I can probably guess what happened... but it would have helped.
Otherwise, well done!
Latest Review: "Hell Holes 2" by Donald Firesmith
Bajpai shikha
Currently Reading: High Hopes
Bookshelf Size: 21

Post by Bajpai shikha »

Good review!
kimmyschemy06
Currently Reading: The Searching Three
Bookshelf Size: 694
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kimmyschemy06.html
Latest Review: Kazi Boku by M. Poyhonen

Post by kimmyschemy06 »

Sounds like a very interesting book. Though honestly, I didn't get right away that they got married. I was under the impression that Jennifer just worked for Jack as a housekeeper and got paid for it :) It seems like a good memoir. Good job on the review.

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”