Official Review: The Dream walker by Venugopal Chettier

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Rachaelamb1
Favorite Author: CS Lewis
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... onwitch</a>
Currently Reading: Falling Star
Bookshelf Size: 128
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rachaelamb1.html
Latest Review: "Dragon Born" by Ela Lourenco

Official Review: The Dream walker by Venugopal Chettier

Post by Rachaelamb1 »

[Following is the official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Dream walker" by Venugopal Chettier.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The Dream Walker by Venugopal Chettier is a nonfiction self-help book about achieving your dreams.

Have you ever thought that you are capable of achieving so much more than you are currently? Take a walk with leaders and dreamers who have overcome various trials and become victorious. In this motivational book you can learn from the best and discover ways that you, too, can do more with your life.

I enjoyed this book and found it to be very motivational. I did learn something from it and it causes me to reevaluate some areas of my life and work on improving them. I also like that the book is not too wordy or full of needless information. The author is concise which makes it a quick and easy read.

Most of the book’s focus is on real life success stories of both famous and unknown people. I had only heard of two or three of these inspirational stories before. I found the rest of them to be fascinating. Some of the people whose stories are included in this book are Helen Keller, Oprah Winfrey, Bruce Lee, Einstein, and many more. I really loved learning more about the obstacles that others had to face in order to become men and women who have impacted the world.

At the end of each chapter, there are daily affirmation exercises or Power Thoughts. These exercises take the key points from the chapter and phrase them into a few paragraphs which are supposed to be repeated three times a day for 30 days. These affirmations are the one thing I did not care for in this book. I have several reasons for disliking them. First of all, I have seen people who do this and think that they will automatically become rich, successful, smarter, or happier by repeating phrases to themselves every day. It often becomes an excuse not to take action. I am happy to see that the author addresses the fact that you have to take action. Another reason I dislike the affirmation sections is because I personally find it cheesy. I don’t think I could say them seriously and actually make myself believe in it. For example,
“Today, I unleash the best version of me. I always express myself and have faith in myself. I am a strong and courageous person, ready to accept my mistakes.”
My last reason for disliking the affirmation sections in this book are because they are quite lengthy, about one page each. After each chapter, you are supposed to add the new affirmation to the previous ones. The entire book is ten chapters, so if you follow the author’s advice and read all of them three times a day, that becomes a large task.

Overall, The Dream Walker is a well-written and enjoyable book. That is why I am giving it 3 out of 4 stars. It is motivational and encouraging. I highly recommend it to anyone who is looking to improve their life by examining the lives and example of others.

The Dream walker
View: on Bookshelves

Like Rachaelamb1's review? Post a comment saying so!
Alexandra2016
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alexandra2016.html

Post by Alexandra2016 »

I never read self-help books,but this time the cover made me curious. Thank for the review!
danielle47
Bookshelf Size: 3
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-danielle47.html

Post by danielle47 »

I've always been curious about motivational books, and i loke the fact that it's not too wordy and only 10 chapters. I'll give it a try.
kimmyschemy06
Currently Reading: The Searching Three
Bookshelf Size: 694
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kimmyschemy06.html
Latest Review: Kazi Boku by M. Poyhonen

Post by kimmyschemy06 »

Sounds like a helpful and inspiring book. I have to agree with you, though, about the 'daily affirmation exercises' I don't think I could do it, as in seriously do it. I believe, however, that the author thinks some people could and would. Good job on the review.
Kourtney Bradley
Favorite Book: Bridges of Madison County
Currently Reading: Layla
Bookshelf Size: 412
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kourtney-bradley.html
Latest Review: Dante's Demons by K.L. Barstow
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by Kourtney Bradley »

Sounds helpful, however, like you said, most people will not read that much repetitively. Thank you for sharing your review!
Whenever you read a good book, somewhere in the world a door opens to allow in more light. :techie-studyingbrown:
–Vera Nazarian
Rachaelamb1

Post by Rachaelamb1 »

Alexandra2016 wrote:I never read self-help books,but this time the cover made me curious. Thank for the review!
Awesome! Check it out, you may find a new genre to love :)

-- 23 Sep 2016, 11:06 --
danielle47 wrote:I've always been curious about motivational books, and i loke the fact that it's not too wordy and only 10 chapters. I'll give it a try.
I also appreciate books that can get the point across without being extremely long :)

-- 23 Sep 2016, 11:07 --
kimmyschemy06 wrote:Sounds like a helpful and inspiring book. I have to agree with you, though, about the 'daily affirmation exercises' I don't think I could do it, as in seriously do it. I believe, however, that the author thinks some people could and would. Good job on the review.
True, there are people who find affirmations helpful. And the author was good to point out that you still have to take action to succeed.

-- 23 Sep 2016, 11:09 --
klbradley wrote:Sounds helpful, however, like you said, most people will not read that much repetitively. Thank you for sharing your review!
You're welcome and thank you!
sank
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by sank »

Just finished reading dream walker!! really enjoyed the read. this book consist of short snippets of success stories...that's the great thing about this book, it doesn't bore you and gets to the point quickly! the stories also cohesively relate to the power thoughts in the end of each chapter. i would urge anybody looking for inspiration and motivation to read this book as it uplifts the spirit.

-- 12 Nov 2016, 07:18 --

Just finished reading dream walker!! really enjoyed the read. this book consist of short snippets of success stories...that's the great thing about this book, it doesn't bore you and gets to the point quickly! the stories also cohesively relate to the power thoughts in the end of each chapter. i would urge anybody looking for inspiration and motivation to read this book as it uplifts the spirit.
anonimous
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by anonimous »

It was a good read. The author kept us captivated with success stories of many kinds. These books tells us stories of ordinary to extraordinary just through sheer determination and will power. Personally, I feel driven and charged after this read. The author did a good job!
Rachaelamb1

Post by Rachaelamb1 »

sank wrote:Just finished reading dream walker!! really enjoyed the read. this book consist of short snippets of success stories...that's the great thing about this book, it doesn't bore you and gets to the point quickly! the stories also cohesively relate to the power thoughts in the end of each chapter. i would urge anybody looking for inspiration and motivation to read this book as it uplifts the spirit.
Awesome! I'm thrilled that you enjoyed it enough to come back and let us know what you think!

-- 14 Nov 2016, 03:28 --
anonimous wrote:It was a good read. The author kept us captivated with success stories of many kinds. These books tells us stories of ordinary to extraordinary just through sheer determination and will power. Personally, I feel driven and charged after this read. The author did a good job!
Wonderful! I'm so glad you loved it!

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”