Non-Fiction Book Recommendations

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Imdramatic22564
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-imdramatic22564.html

Re: Non-Fiction Book Recommendations

Post by Imdramatic22564 »

Biography of Johnny Carson. He was a real jerk
Norma_Rudolph
Favorite Author: Mary Stewart
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... =4245">The Gift of Lies</a>
Currently Reading: Enchantment
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-norma-rudolph.html
Latest Review: "Desolate" by Stephanie Binding
fav_author_id: 10582

Post by Norma_Rudolph »

benji wrote:The Seven Habits of Highly Effective People By Stephen Covey. It puts into words every innate sense I've ever had about life and not understood in an understandable, helpful way.
To go along with this one you should read Jack Canfields The Success Principles. It's like a map of how to get from where you are to where you want to be.
Latest Review: "Desolate" by Stephanie Binding
didion27

Post by didion27 »

All time favourite would have to be Just Kids- Patti Smith. Recent recommendations would be Eating Animals by Jonathan Safran Foer and the Freakonomics and Superfreakonomics books :)
schnuze

Post by schnuze »

If you like Biographies: Georgiana - Duchess of Devonshire from Amanda Foreman. Very informative and dramatic.

If you want to be inspired and become a more optimistic person: Life without Limits from Nick Vujicic. Almost like a biography but not focused on what he did in his life but more how you could make the most of your own.
DickDatchery
Favorite Author: Shakespeare
Favorite Book: Crime and Punishment [Dostoevsky]
Currently Reading: The Bleeding Edge [Pynchon]
Bookshelf Size: 6
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dickdatchery.html
Latest Review: "XIANNE" by Jayce Grayson
fav_author_id: 9655

Post by DickDatchery »

Here are three I have found to be outstanding:

Herodotus, The Histories. An account of the awesome invasion of Greece by the Persian Empire and how the vastly outnumbered Greeks fought them off. Along the way, lots of fascinating side stories. A great read.

Bacon's Essays. Full of wisdom, well-written gems on a variety of topics.

Shelby Foote, The Civil War. A massive three volume account of the War Between the States. Excellent writing that really brings out the heroism on both sides and does full justice to the tragic drama.
Latest Review: "XIANNE" by Jayce Grayson
bixbynerd

Post by bixbynerd »

The Wax Bullet War and The Chronology of Water and Excavation are probably my top three favorite nonfiction books.
refugee

Post by refugee »

I've just finished reading this book and it has really blown me away. It is a book about religion but rather than promoting one religion it exposes the faults and failings of all the mainstream religions. Having discussed what is wrong with religion it then presents an alternative which i believe is truly life changing. The alternative presented in this book is so different from anything I have ever heard of before, it goes against everything I have ever been taught or read. This book has changed my life and i am grateful to the author for having made it available.
m_magers
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-m-magers.html

Post by m_magers »

The Glass Castle by Jeanette Walls.
jlindquist
Currently Reading: Golden Son
Bookshelf Size: 44
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jlindquist.html

Post by jlindquist »

For the DIYers out there, there is solar book from 1983 call solar projects that has a bunch of really cool and well designed ideas including an outdoor solar shower!

Check it out if you like.
Courtney Whittamore
Bookshelf Size: 8
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-courtney-whittamore.html
Latest Review: "The Farewell Season" by Ann Herrick

Post by Courtney Whittamore »

I am a non fiction writer myself, so I very much enjoy reading books that are of the style that I would like to model my own writing after. Right now my favorite non fiction writer is David Sedaris because he takes the moments that we would miss every day and take for granted and make them something worth taking notice of. While he is a wildly successful writer, he writes about things that are so usual, but with the most unusual twist. He makes you feel that even though he is a New York Times Best Seller's List author, he is just like us. He as been humiliated like us, he has a crazy family like us, and he even gets annoyed by all the liter on the side of the road like us. He is someone that opens the window to his own life and shows us our own. And I think that is the whole point of writing. To go through a portal created by another, to be transported to an improved version of ourselves.
Latest Review: "The Farewell Season" by Ann Herrick
Reader22

Post by Reader22 »

Hi
Moonwalking with Einstein by Joshua Foer.
Very interesting and easy to read. The book is about his quest on becoming a memory champion and how memory works. You meet some of these mental athletes who can memorize dozens of decks of playing cards and recite them from memory. You learn about memory palaces and how to use them.
I would recommend this book and How to develop a perfect memory by D. O'Brien. Both offers practical advices that anybody can use
Mschneider75

Post by Mschneider75 »

Without repeating any that I have already seen, I would say The Art of Happiness by Dalai Lama and Howard C. Cutler. Very good.
karariley11

Post by karariley11 »

If you are into spirituality/metaphysical/personal growth, these are some good ones

Many Lives, Many Masters- Brian Weiss
Only Love is Real- Brian Weiss
Assertiveness for Earth Angels- Doreen Virtue
The Power of Now- Eckhart Tolle

And some fiction spiritual books:
The Celestine Prophecy- James Redfield
Any books written by Paulo Coelho

-- 13 Oct 2014, 19:00 --

Wonderful Tonight by Pattie Boyd is amazing. She was married to both George Harrison from The Beatles and eric Clapton and this is her autobiography.
rssllue
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Ted Dekker
Favorite Book: The Bible
Currently Reading: A Year with C. S. Lewis
Bookshelf Size: 602
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rssllue.html
Latest Review: My Personal Desert Storm by Marcus Johnson
fav_author_id: 2881

Post by rssllue »

Definitely Bonhoeffer by Eric Metaxas
~ occupare fati suffocavit

I will both lay me down in peace, and sleep: for Thou, LORD, only makest me dwell in safety. ~ Psalms 4:8
mandileighjohnson

Post by mandileighjohnson »

"How To Teach Your Children Shakespeare" by Ken Ludwig has inspired me and my children to not only read Shakespeare, but to enjoy memorizing his plays as well. Ken Ludwig, an internationally known playwright, uses his own theater experience and enthusiasm to inspire you to share Shakespeare with your kids!

I am amazed at how excited my kids are to learn the plots of the plays. They literally beg me to be the first to recite their lines. The book is designed to engage you excite you and then teach you how to do the same for your kids.

I highly recommend this to anyone who wants to introduce Shakespeare to children in a non-threatening, fun way. My kids will be Shakespeare fans for like. This could be used at home as a summer project, part of homeschooling curriculum or even used in a classroom setting for kids (and adults) of any age.

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”