Official Review: Pregnancy Cookbook: 90 Recipes Ready Wit...

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
GKCfan
Bookshelf Size: 48
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gkcfan.html
Latest Review: The Silent Shadow by Pat S. Clarke

Official Review: Pregnancy Cookbook: 90 Recipes Ready Wit...

Post by GKCfan »

[Following is the official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Pregnancy Cookbook: 90 Recipes Ready Within 30 Minutes" by Melanie.]
Book Cover
2 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Official Review: Pregnancy Cookbook: 90 recipes ready within 30 minutes, by Melanie.

Pregnancy Cookbook is a brief collection of recipes designed for women who are expecting a baby. The meals outlined in this book are supposed to be quick to make and nutritious for women who are eating for two. I have not actually prepared any of these recipes, so I cannot vouch for the tastiness of the food, though I do believe just from reading the recipes that they are mostly simple to prepare and not particularly time-consuming.

Since this is a cookbook, I cannot review it like I would a novel or a biography. There are some points that I would raise. The section labelled “Fish” contains a half-dozen recipes, all of which contain salmon. It might have made more sense just to label that section “Salmon,” or to take some of the tuna recipes from the following section, “Seafood,” and integrate them with the “Fish” section.

There is one recipe in the book that certainly should not be in a cookbook for pregnant ladies. Most of the beverages in the “Drinks” section are harmless enough, but the “Ginger Beer” recipe contains an ingredient that ought to raise a few eyebrows: a half cup of vodka. I should not have to explain why pregnant women should avoid alcoholic beverages. Eliminate the vodka from the “Ginger Beer” recipe, and you should have a libation safe for a woman drinking for two, although it might not be as enjoyable a drink as it is with the vodka.

The final chapter, “Recipes for Vegans” ought really to have been titled “Vegetarian Recipes,” because although some of the recipes do not contain animal products, some require cheese or butter. The author acknowledges that all of these recipes are not technically vegan, so why give the chapter that title at all? The chapter “Dessert” may also raise an eyebrow because all six of the recipes contain yogurt as the central ingredient. I am not anti-yogurt, but one wonders if the author knows about some nice and easy cookie or cake recipes that a pregnant woman might enjoy, or possibly some tasty ice cream recipes.

Finally, there are numerous typos throughout the book, and some of the text describing the food is clunky and needs polishing, particularly the paragraph discussing eggs and cholesterol. This is not an extensive cookbook, but it might provide pregnant women– and many people who want to prepare quick and nutritious meals at home– with some simple and useful recipes.

I give this book two out of four stars.
[/b]

Pregnancy Cookbook: 90 Recipes Ready Within 30 Minutes
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like GKCfan's review? Post a comment saying so!
Amh73090
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amh73090.html
Latest Review: "Another-Blended Not Shaken" by Sherrie L. Todd

Post by Amh73090 »

Where was this 19 months ago when I became pregnant. This would have helped a lot. Also when it comes to ginger beer did the recipe involve heating the ingredients including the vodka? If it did the alcohol cooks out after a while.
Latest Review: "Another-Blended Not Shaken" by Sherrie L. Todd
kimmyschemy06
Currently Reading: The Searching Three
Bookshelf Size: 694
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kimmyschemy06.html
Latest Review: Kazi Boku by M. Poyhonen

Post by kimmyschemy06 »

That was a very honest review. It sounds helpful except for the issues you mentioned about 'Ginger Beer'. Too bad about the typos. It seems like this book will benefit from thorough editing. Good job on the review.
GKCfan

Post by GKCfan »

Amh73090, there's nothing about heating the vodka and ginger beer. It's just mixed and chilled. Thank you, kimmyschemy06!
Kourtney Bradley
Favorite Book: Bridges of Madison County
Currently Reading: Layla
Bookshelf Size: 412
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kourtney-bradley.html
Latest Review: Dante's Demons by K.L. Barstow
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by Kourtney Bradley »

I know when I was pregnant, my doctor mentioned something about an occasional glass of wine being harmless, but I'm sure we can all assume that the 1/2 cup of vodka should be excluded for obvious reasons. Nice review, and very honest, which is exactly as it should be! Thank you for sharing!
Whenever you read a good book, somewhere in the world a door opens to allow in more light. :techie-studyingbrown:
–Vera Nazarian
GKCfan

Post by GKCfan »

Thank you!
charmer
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-charmer.html

Post by charmer »

Very good review. I know when I was pregnant we went with freezer meals that were prepped ahead of time to help decrease our cooking. Once you reach 8-9 months pregnant whatever takes the least amount of time is great (minus the alcohol).
GKCfan

Post by GKCfan »

Thank you!

I should mention, of course, that pregnant women should check with their doctors about their diets.

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”