Official Review: My Husband's a Woman Now

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
ALynnPowers
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 417
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alynnpowers.html
Latest Review: Sarah's Dream by Eileen Bird
Reading Device: B0051QVF7A
Publishing Contest Votes: 13

Official Review: My Husband's a Woman Now

Post by ALynnPowers »

[Following is the official OnlineBookClub.org review of "My Husband's a Woman Now" by Leslie Hilburn Fabian, Licensed Independent Clinical Social Worker (LICSW).]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

My Husband's a Woman Now: A Shared Journey of Transition and Love is the non-fiction account of one man's transition into a woman, as told by his wife, Leslie Hilburn Fabian, LICSW (Licensed Independent Clinical Social Worker). As indicated by the title and a frequently recurring theme in the book, the journey in Dr. Fabian's transition from David to Deborah was not solitary, as Leslie was required to go through a bit of a transition for herself.

Fabian takes us through her personal experiences of not only meeting her husband (and the interesting story she has about how he was wearing a dress when they first met), but also events from earlier in her life that she feels influenced how she reacted to the later transitions in her life. From being raised by a supportive father and a paraplegic mother to surviving the suicides of two of her siblings, Fabian shares a variety of emotional anecdotes that helped to shape who she is and to deal with one of the most eventful periods of her life. Encouraging her husband to live his life in the way in which made him happy, despite the uncertainty of what it would mean for their relationship and their marriage of twenty years, seems to be the most appropriate road to travel, but a journey they must make together.

Fabian doesn't hold back in terms of disclosing her feelings, both positive and negative. She talks of going through the stages of grief and the feeling of losing a husband, though without an actual, physical loss. So often the spouse or significant other of a transgendered person is overlooked, but in this book we get a wonderful insight into the thoughts and emotions of the other half of the transition.

While this story is focused specifically on dealing with a loved one going through gender transition, I found this book as a whole to be so much more than a simple memoir. It deals with a plethora of themes that almost everyone can relate to: disabilities, suicide, discrimination, homosexuality, marital problems, happiness (and its evil twin, unhappiness), familial love, and acceptance. As a counselor, which was probably a huge benefit to her and her family in dealing with this transition, Fabian's expertise in discussing and dealing with emotions becomes apparent on the pages of this book. Without intending to do so, I think that Fabian has created a self-help book that so many people could learn from.

In all honesty, given her supportive and amazing background (both family and career-wise), I was a bit worried that Fabian would come across as overly self-righteous once her husband officially made the transition and became Deborah full time. "Oh, look at me! I'm so wonderful, accepting my husband no matter what and staying married to him even though he's a woman now. I'm such a good wife; putting his desires before my own." I was extremely mistaken, and this is not the case at all. In fact, I was surprised at how often she mentioned her grief, annoyance, and frustration as she went through the different stages of transition; she certainly never attempted to label herself as a martyr. Though we have totally different personalities, I could easily put myself in her shoes and feel exactly what she was going through. Needless to say, I had to set the book aside several times just so I could compose myself emotionally before I began crying in public.

It is a pleasure for me to give My Husband's a Woman Now a rating of 4 out of 4 stars due to the wonderfully emotional story that is presented in this book. Fabian is an excellent writer, and her ability to effectively convey her emotions and experiences is unquestionable. That being said, I should probably mention that there was something a bit strange with the formatting of my copy of the book; section breaks appeared as the lowercase letter 'd' or the numeral '5' throughout the whole book. I kind of suspect that this was some kind of conversion error (a symbol or image didn't convert properly, perhaps?), but the content of the book is just so amazing that I can't bring myself to knock off any points in the rating because of this. It was easy to ignore these seemingly random characters once I figured out what was happening. Let's just hope that it was merely my old Kindle in particular at fault; the book is otherwise flawless. I would definitely recommend this book to so many readers who enjoy memoirs and self-help books. It's a wonderful, true tale that shows what marriage and love are really about.

My Husband's a Woman Now
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like ALynnPowers's review? Post a comment saying so!
Kourtney Bradley
Favorite Book: Bridges of Madison County
Currently Reading: Layla
Bookshelf Size: 412
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kourtney-bradley.html
Latest Review: Dante's Demons by K.L. Barstow
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by Kourtney Bradley »

This sounds like a very emotional book, and very courageous of the author to share their story. Lovely review!
Whenever you read a good book, somewhere in the world a door opens to allow in more light. :techie-studyingbrown:
–Vera Nazarian
ALynnPowers
Currently Reading:

Post by ALynnPowers »

Yes, super emotional. I was even in tears trying to write the review! Haha!
Gravy
Gravymaster of Bookshelves
Favorite Author: Seanan McGuire
Favorite Book: As many as there are stars in the sky
Currently Reading: The Ghost Tree
Bookshelf Size: 1027
fav_author_id: 3249

Post by Gravy »

I just read something similar (though from the alternate perspective), and enjoyed it very much. I've noted this and will hopefully get a chance to read it :)
Pronouns: She/Her

What is grief, if not love persevering?

Grief is just love with no place to go.
ALynnPowers
Currently Reading:

Post by ALynnPowers »

You know, I didn't even notice that the cover has both the before and after pictures of Dr. Fabian and Leslie!
Amh73090
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amh73090.html
Latest Review: "Another-Blended Not Shaken" by Sherrie L. Todd

Post by Amh73090 »

This sounds like a wonderful book. I hope it will give strength to those who are afraid to tell their own stories. What a great review.
Latest Review: "Another-Blended Not Shaken" by Sherrie L. Todd
ALynnPowers
Currently Reading:

Post by ALynnPowers »

Thank you so much!!
braver
Currently Reading: Playing Big
Bookshelf Size: 68
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-braver.html
Latest Review: "Storm of Arranon" by R E Sheahan
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by braver »

Great review of what sounds like a great book! So glad to hear that she does not come across as 'holier-than-thou'. Adding to my list!
Latest Review: "Storm of Arranon" by R E Sheahan
Kourtney Bradley
Favorite Book: Bridges of Madison County
Currently Reading: Layla
Bookshelf Size: 412
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kourtney-bradley.html
Latest Review: Dante's Demons by K.L. Barstow
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by Kourtney Bradley »

ALynnPowers wrote:You know, I didn't even notice that the cover has both the before and after pictures of Dr. Fabian and Leslie!
I didn't notice the cover either, until you said so. That seems so fitting!
Whenever you read a good book, somewhere in the world a door opens to allow in more light. :techie-studyingbrown:
–Vera Nazarian
Heidi M Simone
Official Reviewer Representative
Favorite Book: Harry Potter
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 559
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-heidi-m-simone.html
Latest Review: GPS para el cielo by Jose Rafael Nunez Patino
Publishing Contest Votes: 27
fav_author_id: 0

Post by Heidi M Simone »

I'm getting emotional just reading your review! I can't imagine what kind of journey this couple went through, but I congratulate both of them in not giving up and accepting each other for they truly are. I saw this book once, and now I can't remember why I didn't pick it up. I wish I had. Wonderful review, ALynnPowers!
Heidi
Official Reviewer Representative

"There is nothing as powerful as a mother’s love, and nothing as healing as a child’s soul." – Unknown
ebeth
Currently Reading: The Color of Destiny
Bookshelf Size: 69
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ebeth.html
Latest Review: "Audiobooks.com Book of your Choice" by Audiobooks
Reading Device: B0097BEFA4

Post by ebeth »

That would be very hard to go through. Great Review and thanks for sharing!
Latest Review: "Audiobooks.com Book of your Choice" by Audiobooks
Katie Birch
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Katie Birch »

braver wrote:Great review of what sounds like a great book! So glad to hear that she does not come across as 'holier-than-thou'. Adding to my list!
Me too! Amazing review!
lily_kh87
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 35
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lily-kh87.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by lily_kh87 »

This sounds like an interesting book. I've never read something similar. And I really loved your review. You have a beautiful way of writing.
ALynnPowers
Currently Reading:

Post by ALynnPowers »

lily_kh87 wrote:This sounds like an interesting book. I've never read something similar. And I really loved your review. You have a beautiful way of writing.
Aw, that's so sweet. Thank you :)
SandraTWP-BRW
Currently Reading: 1491: New Revelations of the Americas Before Columbus
Bookshelf Size: 39
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sandratwp-brw.html
Latest Review: "If God Is Not for Me, Then He Must Be Against Me!" by DeShaun Johnson
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by SandraTWP-BRW »

Thank you for this insight. I have an acquaintance - we get on fine, but aren't close - who is transgendered. I have only known her as a woman. I know she was married before, and I've often wondered what the situation was like for her former wife. I've added this to my want to read shelf.
Latest Review: "If God Is Not for Me, Then He Must Be Against Me!" by DeShaun Johnson

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”