Official Review: Code Name: Papa - My Extraordi...

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
AuthoressofMystery
Currently Reading: Finding Poe
Bookshelf Size: 342
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-authoressofmystery.html
Latest Review: "Learn English, Spanish, French, German, Turkish and Persian - Vocabulary Book Series" by Vahid Asghari
Reading Device: 1400697484

Official Review: Code Name: Papa - My Extraordi...

Post by AuthoressofMystery »

[Following is the official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Code Name: Papa – My Extraordinary Life While Hiding in Plain Sight" by John Murray with Sharon Murray and Abby Jones.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Have you ever wondered what it would be like to be one of the World's Most Powerful Men?
John, with the help of his wife Sharon Murray and Author Abby Jones gives you a little insight into the life of a spy in the powerful Memoir Codename: Papa (My Extraordinary Life While Hiding In Plain Sight).
At 313 pages, this book is filled with the real life accounts of John Murray and his team as they rise to the top of their game – The Spy Game.
Traveling around the world on various Top Secret jobs with even more varied successes, Codename: Papa (My Extraordinary Life While Hiding In Plain Sight) also shows you the toll their missions and secret lives had on those they loved.
An Adult Memoir, it is the perfect read for those that enjoy True Crime, Action and Military novels.

John Murray gives us an inside look at the life of a strangely privileged young man fresh from the Vietnam war as he attracts the attention of a wealthy gentleman that isn't all that he seems.
After being injured in action, John wakes up in a Japanese hospital confused, unsure of how he got there, but with a mysterious number to be called. John discovers it is his fellow soldier's father's number. Following the mysterious man's instructions, he is taken back to the U.S. - only to find he has been reported AWOL! Follow John as he discovers just how much pull his friend's father has – and how much he wants from John.

Codename: Papa (My Extraordinary Life Hiding In Plain Sight) isn't for the faint of heart. I almost didn't get through it because some of the missions were enough to keep me up at night. Being an avid researcher of Trafficking, Slavery and very interested in anything to do with spies and intrigue, I thought this was the perfect book for me. However, I am a bit too sensitive and discovered that there were some truths I really would rather stay oblivious to.

Codename: Papa (My Extraordinary Life Hiding In Plain Sight) by John and Sharon Murray and Abby Jones features it all – extractions, assassinations, subterfuge and intrigue...and lots of blowing things up with the inevitable death.

I gave Codename: Papa (My Extraordinary Life Hiding In Plain Sight) 3 out of 4 stars because, while interesting, I felt that the actual writing could have been more engaging as the first few chapters were rather clunky and hard to understand.
In all, a very good read if you want an in depth look into the life of a spy.

Code Name: Papa – My Extraordinary Life While Hiding in Plain Sight
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like AuthoressofMystery's review? Post a comment saying so!
Latest Review: "Learn English, Spanish, French, German, Turkish and Persian - Vocabulary Book Series" by Vahid Asghari
gali
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: Pride and Prejudice in Space
Bookshelf Size: 2288
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
Publishing Contest Votes: 0
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by gali »

Great review! It isn't the type of book I'd normally read, but I am glad you enjoyed it overall. :)
A retired Admin/Mod

Pronouns: She/Her

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
AuthoressofMystery

Thank you! It was my first fully read memoir! :-)
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.
Nobody made a greater mistake than he who did nothing because he could do only a little.

Edmond Burke
Silvermoon
Currently Reading: That Place of Knowledge
Bookshelf Size: 435
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-silvermoon.html
Latest Review: "The 11.05 Murders" by Brian O'Hare

Post by Silvermoon »

The book sounds fascinating or at least John Murray's life does. Great job on the review!

-- 28 Aug 2016, 21:15 --

The book sounds fascinating or at least John Murray's life does. Great job on the review!
Latest Review: "The 11.05 Murders" by Brian O'Hare
Kia
Currently Reading: Damaged Goods
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kia.html
Latest Review: Wheel of Katarnum by James Calliotte
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Kia »

This actually sounds really interesting. Great job on the review!
"Yes, the past can hurt. But the way I see it you can either run from it, or learn from it."- Rafiki
AuthoressofMystery

Silvermoon wrote:The book sounds fascinating or at least John Murray's life does. Great job on the review!

-- 28 Aug 2016, 21:15 --

Thank you! :-)

-- 30 Aug 2016, 19:24 --
Kia wrote:This actually sounds really interesting. Great job on the review!
Thank you! It was! :-)
Nobody made a greater mistake than he who did nothing because he could do only a little.

Edmond Burke
kimmyschemy06
Currently Reading: The Searching Three
Bookshelf Size: 694
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kimmyschemy06.html
Latest Review: Kazi Boku by M. Poyhonen

Post by kimmyschemy06 »

Sounds like an interesting book and it seems very adventurous for a memoir. That made it sound even more interesting as most of the memoirs I read were dramatic and emotional :) Good job on the review.
AuthoressofMystery

kimmyschemy06 wrote:Sounds like an interesting book and it seems very adventurous for a memoir. That made it sound even more interesting as most of the memoirs I read were dramatic and emotional :) Good job on the review.
Thank you! I think the author did very well at keeping it interesting. There were very few slow parts. Though, come to think of it, I may have preferred less action and more emotion! :-)

Edmond Burke

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”