Official Review: ARTHRITIS - The Best Thing That Ever Hap...

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
LivreAmour217
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Too many to count
Favorite Book: Ditto
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 294
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-livreamour217.html
Latest Review: Island Games by Caleb J. Boyer

Official Review: ARTHRITIS - The Best Thing That Ever Hap...

Post by LivreAmour217 »

[Following is the official OnlineBookClub.org review of "ARTHRITIS - The Best Thing That Ever Happened to Me.: Healing The Pain Of Psoriatic And Rheumatoid Arthritis And How Autoimmu" by Phil Escott.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Arthritis: The Best Thing That Ever Happened to Me chronicles the healing journey of author Phil Escott, who was diagnosed with psoriatic arthritis in 2010. After being told that his joints would "never be normal again," Mr. Escott defied the odds and cured his condition through researching and applying a myriad of medical and spiritual healing practices. Mr. Escott has written this book not only to share his story, but to help others who may be suffering.

As someone who is afflicted with osteoarthritis, I jumped at the chance to read this book. I have certainly never thought of arthritis as a blessing, and I was curious to learn how the author came to such an unusual conclusion. I am glad to say that this was an informative book that got me interested in learning about non-traditional ways to approach my condition.

The book is divided into three parts. The first portion contains information about the author's personal life and diagnosis, the second part focuses on the dietary and lifestyle techniques that helped Mr. Escott overcome his illness, and the third portion discusses the importance of spirituality to the healing process. The book is well written and easy to understand. Mr. Escott speaks authoritatively on the subject matter, but maintains a humble attitude and exudes genuine concern for his audience.

As already implied, the information within this book falls well outside the realm of conventional medicine. I don't want to go into too much detail for fear of including spoilers, but I can say that there is a heavy emphasis on the importance of diet, and quite a bit of discussion on popular dietary approaches, including veganism and the Paleo diet. There is also discussion about the many aspects of modern life that can have adverse health consequences, and how to mitigate them.

Throughout the book, Mr. Escott mentions the books, websites, and individual experts from whom he gleaned his information. There is no formal bibliography, which could turn some readers off, but I commend the author for consistently providing his sources within the chapters of the book. Although this strategy may not fly with traditionalists, the reader is still given the opportunity to fact check the book if he or she so desires. I have reviewed two other books that discussed self-healing, and this has been the first one that provided concrete sources to back up its claims.

In conclusion, I found Arthritis: The Best Thing That Ever Happened to Me to be a worthwhile read, and I give it 4 out of 4 stars for its quality writing and helpful intent. I would recommend this book to anyone suffering from a chronic physical ailment, as well as those with an interest in healthy living. I do have one minor warning, though: the chapters that cover spirituality discuss Eastern religious practices, so those who are uncomfortable reading about beliefs that clash with their own may want to skip this portion of the book. I would encourage those readers to still read the first two parts, however, because the information is quite helpful.

ARTHRITIS - The Best Thing That Ever Happened to Me.: Healing The Pain Of Psoriatic And Rheumatoid Arthritis And How Autoimmu
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like LivreAmour217's review? Post a comment saying so!
"Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one." - Albert Einstein
Kourtney Bradley
Favorite Book: Bridges of Madison County
Currently Reading: Layla
Bookshelf Size: 412
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kourtney-bradley.html
Latest Review: Dante's Demons by K.L. Barstow
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by Kourtney Bradley »

I'm glad to see this book was beneficial to you in life! My father suffers from severe arthritis, so I may have to check this one out to see if there's anything he could learn from it. Thank you for sharing!
Whenever you read a good book, somewhere in the world a door opens to allow in more light. :techie-studyingbrown:
–Vera Nazarian
LivreAmour217
Currently Reading:

Post by LivreAmour217 »

klbradley wrote:I'm glad to see this book was beneficial to you in life! My father suffers from severe arthritis, so I may have to check this one out to see if there's anything he could learn from it. Thank you for sharing!
Thanks for reading my review! I'm sorry to hear about your father, and I hope that he is able to find relief. I think that this book could be helpful!
"Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one." - Albert Einstein
bookowlie
Special Discussion Leader
Favorite Book: The Lost Continent
Currently Reading: The Night She Went Missing
Bookshelf Size: 442
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookowlie.html
Latest Review: To Paint A Murder by E. J. Gandolfo

Post by bookowlie »

Livre, I enjoyed reading your review. I love it when a book seems well suited for the reviewer. :) It's great that the author consistently provided sources for the information, since that's often not the case in indie self-help books..
"The best way out is always through" - Robert Frost
MsMartha
Currently Reading: Collected Works of Algernon Blackwood (Unabridged)
Bookshelf Size: 99
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-msmartha.html
Latest Review: "9 Realities of Caring for an Elderly Parent" by Stefania Shaffer
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by MsMartha »

This does seem to have some very useful information for those of us who have arthritis. Thank you for a nicely detailed review!
Latest Review: "9 Realities of Caring for an Elderly Parent" by Stefania Shaffer
LivreAmour217
Currently Reading:

Post by LivreAmour217 »

bookowlie wrote:Livre, I enjoyed reading your review. I love it when a book seems well suited for the reviewer. :) It's great that the author consistently provided sources for the information, since that's often not the case in indie self-help books..
Thank you, Bookowlie! Yes, I've noticed the lack of sources in indie self-help books, too. In the modern age, when anybody can put anything online and tout it as fact, sources are a must for up-and-coming authors!

-- 05 Aug 2016, 16:37 --
MsMartha wrote:This does seem to have some very useful information for those of us who have arthritis. Thank you for a nicely detailed review!
Thanks for reading my review, Ms Martha! I always appreciate the feedback!
bookowlie
Special Discussion Leader
Favorite Book: The Lost Continent
Currently Reading: The Night She Went Missing
Bookshelf Size: 442
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookowlie.html
Latest Review: To Paint A Murder by E. J. Gandolfo

Post by bookowlie »

By the way, the book might set the record for the longest title of any book reviewed here. :)
"The best way out is always through" - Robert Frost
Rachaelamb1
Favorite Author: CS Lewis
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... onwitch</a>
Currently Reading: Falling Star
Bookshelf Size: 128
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rachaelamb1.html
Latest Review: "Dragon Born" by Ela Lourenco

Post by Rachaelamb1 »

It is a title that captures your attention! Although the subtitle is a bit wordy. I enjoyed your review. I am a big believer in using nutrition and a proper lifestyle to get well.
Latest Review: "Dragon Born" by Ela Lourenco
LivreAmour217
Currently Reading:

Post by LivreAmour217 »

bookowlie wrote:By the way, the book might set the record for the longest title of any book reviewed here. :)
Lol, I think so too! :lol:
gali
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: Pride and Prejudice in Space
Bookshelf Size: 2288
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
Publishing Contest Votes: 0
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by gali »

Not for me, but I am glad you found it a worthwhile read. Good job on the review!
A retired Admin/Mod

Pronouns: She/Her

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
LivreAmour217
Currently Reading:

Post by LivreAmour217 »

Rachaelamb1 wrote:It is a title that captures your attention! Although the subtitle is a bit wordy. I enjoyed your review. I am a big believer in using nutrition and a proper lifestyle to get well.
Thank you, Rachel! I agree about the title being a bit wordy, which is why I never used the entire thing in the review!

-- 09 Aug 2016, 14:33 --
gali wrote:Not for me, but I am glad you found it a worthwhile read. Good job on the review!
Thank you, Gali :)
Dystopian-pleasure
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dystopian-pleasure.html

Post by Dystopian-pleasure »

Definitely have to read
LivreAmour217
Currently Reading:

Post by LivreAmour217 »

Dystopian-pleasure wrote:Definitely have to read
I hope that you enjoy it!
Heidi M Simone
Official Reviewer Representative
Favorite Book: Harry Potter
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 559
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-heidi-m-simone.html
Latest Review: GPS para el cielo by Jose Rafael Nunez Patino
Publishing Contest Votes: 27
fav_author_id: 0

Post by Heidi M Simone »

Great, thorough review, LivreAmour217! I never would have thought arthritis as a blessing, too, but it's nice to see those who can take something that can potentially hinder someone's lifestyle and turn into something positive. I'm glad you enjoyed the read and found it helpful!
Heidi
Official Reviewer Representative

"There is nothing as powerful as a mother’s love, and nothing as healing as a child’s soul." – Unknown
LivreAmour217
Currently Reading:

Post by LivreAmour217 »

hsimone wrote:Great, thorough review, LivreAmour217! I never would have thought arthritis as a blessing, too, but it's nice to see those who can take something that can potentially hinder someone's lifestyle and turn into something positive. I'm glad you enjoyed the read and found it helpful!
Thank you for your kind words, Hsimone :)

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”