Official Review: The Voice of Creation

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
CataclysmicKnight
Favorite Book: Ready Player One
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1693
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cataclysmicknight.html
Latest Review: Simple Man Simple Message by Mark Dobosz

Official Review: The Voice of Creation

Post by CataclysmicKnight »

[Following is the official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Voice of Creation" by J. Hudson Mitchell.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Evolution vs creationism is one of the biggest debates in existence. The winner has always seemed clear - the idea of the entire world being made and set up with plants and animals and even humans (Adam and Eve) in just 6 days is absurd, right? And not only that, evolution is clearly all around us. Evolution is taught at schools and creationism isn't even given consideration. Even Christians often write the book of Genesis off as a euphemism or as a work of fiction.

While The Voice of Creation by J. Hudson Mitchell discusses much of the bible to some extent, a major focus is right there in the title: creation. As someone who was one of those aforementioned Christians who didn't take creation literally (along with a lot of the Bible, actually), Mitchell really changed my mind. Using scripture and additional resources as reference, she gives a fantastic explanation of not only how evolution is flawed but how creation is the truth. There are numerous quotes and references to famous scientists and inventors who were Christian as well who not only refute evolution, but who claim the Bible as a foundation of science. I'd never understood why science and religion have to be enemies, and Mitchell makes me realize I'm certainly not the only one who thought so.

As I mentioned, the book discusses a large part of the rest of the bible as well. It does a rather thorough job going through the books of Genesis and Exodus (including all those generations of names that I could never keep straight originally), as well as the birth through resurrection of Jesus and touches on references throughout the rest as well. One thing I found particularly wonderful was just how much more I understood the Bible as Mitchell discussed it. I was raised Catholic and went to church as well as Catholic school until I was nearly 17, so I had heard much of the Bible many times, yet this was incredibly enlightening! I also really appreciated that when Bible passages are referred to, they're actually quoted! So many books simply list the book, chapter and verse(s), leaving the reader to look things up themselves.

My favorite parts of the book absolutely had to be the scientific bits. It's really fascinating to see how science and religion work together! For example, as part of Eve's punishment for eating of the Tree of Knowledge, the process of giving birth was made very painful. Mitchell points out that women do in fact have very painful births (not new knowledge), but then points out how much easier it is for most mammals. I was at a zoo once when an elephant gave birth, and it was WAY easier and quicker than human childbirth. Also as Mitchell points out, if evolution was real, one would think that humans would have evolved into much easier childbirth if other mammals can do it! There are other stories as well, like how US Navy commander Matthew Fontaine Maury was always criticized for his beliefs, and at one point when he was sick his daughter read to him from the bible. She chose Psalm 8, which refers to "paths of the sea". When he recovered from his sickness he went out looking for those paths and actually discovered two between New York and England, and was later given the title of "Father of Modern Oceanography"!

While most of the book really had me hooked and drawn in, it's worth mentioning that the book does get a bit repetitive at times. There are a few passages that are referred to repeatedly, as is one of my favorite points in the book: "One has to either believe the Bible or make God a big liar. God cannot be both the truth and the liar." This is really minor in comparison to the excellence of the rest of the book, however, and in the long run didn't lower my enjoyment of it at all.

There was a little hesitation for me in deciding how to rate this book. On the one hand, it changed my beliefs in a monumental way, something that years of school couldn't even do. On the other, closed-minded atheists definitely won't get anything out of the book. Despite that, I personally found this book to be transformative and magnificent, totally worthy of 4 out of 4 stars. Those who are already solid believers may enjoy the insight behind the scripture here, but I wholeheartedly recommend the book to those who are on the fence - those who at least sort believe in God, but maybe have some questions or doubts. If you don't believe in God but have an open mind, give it a shot too!

The Voice of Creation
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like CataclysmicKnight's review? Post a comment saying so!
Nothing is true, everything is permitted.
Kourtney Bradley
Favorite Book: Bridges of Madison County
Currently Reading: Layla
Bookshelf Size: 412
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kourtney-bradley.html
Latest Review: Dante's Demons by K.L. Barstow
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by Kourtney Bradley »

Nicely written review, and congrats to the author for such a great rating!
Whenever you read a good book, somewhere in the world a door opens to allow in more light. :techie-studyingbrown:
–Vera Nazarian
Scott
Site Admin
Favorite Author: Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
Currently Reading: The Unbound Soul
Bookshelf Size: 340
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-scott.html
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
Publishing Contest Votes: 960
fav_author_id: 248825

Post by Scott »

I'm curious. Do you think open-minded atheists would get much from the book?

If they are truly open-minded atheists, they would--I believe--also presumably have their thoughts just as sway-able by the many arguments for non-Abrahamic religions such as polytheism or by the countless different secular explanations for things even ones different than the mainstream such 'aliens did it'. In many ways, the more open-minded someone is, the harder it is to convince that person of a thing because the person is open-minded to all the alternatives besides of what one is trying to convince the person. I'm curious about this book in relation to that. What do you think?
"That virtue we appreciate is as much ours as another's. We see so much only as we possess." - Henry David Thoreau

"Non ignara mali miseris succurrere disco." Virgil, The Aeneid
kimmyschemy06
Currently Reading: The Searching Three
Bookshelf Size: 694
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kimmyschemy06.html
Latest Review: Kazi Boku by M. Poyhonen

Post by kimmyschemy06 »

Sounds like one amazing book. Though I'm not a regular churchgoer, I read the Bible every day and I consider my relationship with God a healthy one. I would love to read how science and religion work together. Great job on the review. Congratulations to J. Hudson Mitchell on such an obviously well written book.
bobRas
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bobras.html
Latest Review: "Randy Love...at your service" by Shay Carter

Post by bobRas »

Your example on child-birth makes me think that the author fundamentally misunderstands evolution, and makes me not want to read the book. This has nothing to do with "close-mindedness" but rather about trusting the author not to try to undermine something they created to be easily knocked down. It's a straw-man argument. Keep in mind that I have not read this book, so I don't know if the author does a better job than the review has room for.
Latest Review: "Randy Love...at your service" by Shay Carter
mayac21
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by mayac21 »

I love to go to church and also read the bible. I am very curious about this one and would love to see how religion goes in hand with science.
losingsleepoverbooks
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-losingsleepoverbooks.html

Post by losingsleepoverbooks »

I want to read this book! I always like reading things that challenge my views and beliefs. Also, I like learning more about God and how science backs Him up. Great review!
Collo
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-collo.html
Latest Review: "From Drift to SHIFT" by Jody B. Miller

Post by Collo »

Great review. It sounds like a thought-provoking and captivating read.
Latest Review: "From Drift to SHIFT" by Jody B. Miller
MsTri
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Miranda Ann Markley
Favorite Book: The Spirit Seeds Book 1
Currently Reading: the Secret of Safe Passage
Bookshelf Size: 1029
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mstri.html
Latest Review: Suddenly Free, Vol. 1 by Yvette Carmon Davis
Reading Device: B07HZHJGY7
fav_author_id: 225682

Post by MsTri »

Great review. I LOVE the idea of science and spirituality intermingling, so I can't wait to give this a read.
BookHausJ
Currently Reading: Health Tips Myth and Tricks
Bookshelf Size: 667
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookhausj.html
Latest Review: "Who Told You That You Were Naked?" by William Combs

Post by BookHausJ »

If this book would support my belief on creation than evolution, then surely I would line this book up as part of my interest. I read my bible everyday to strengthen my faith. But still I need an author who hardly do his job. You've done a great review. Thanks!
Latest Review: "Who Told You That You Were Naked?" by William Combs
BoyLazy
Currently Reading: Temptation Trials Part II
Bookshelf Size: 122
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-boylazy.html
Latest Review: Heartaches 2 by H.M. Irwing

Post by BoyLazy »

I belong to the non believer groups. Let me give it a shot. Thanks for the review 😇
Boy Lazy
Reviewer | Blogger | Influencer

N_R
Favorite Author: James Mace
Currently Reading: Happy Healing
Bookshelf Size: 193
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-n-r.html
Latest Review: Kiwi Jacks by Hairy Jack
fav_author_id: 21042

Post by N_R »

Thanks for this review, it has definitely persuaded me to look at this book for purchase. I love it when they combine science and religion as there are definitely places where these line up and they are not always mutually exclusive.
melissy370
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 124
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-melissy370.html
Latest Review: Home To Kentucky by Thomas A. McCoy
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by melissy370 »

I have read several books on this subject before and am interested to see how Mitchell handles it. For me, science is not always going to explain religion. That is where faith comes in.
josefina1110
Currently Reading: Justice
Bookshelf Size: 38
Signature Addition: View official OnlineBookClub.org review of The Voice of Creation

Post by josefina1110 »

Thank you for your comment. I agree with you.

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”