Official Review: KILLING TIMOTHY McVEIGH - The Hidden al ...

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
L_Therese
Currently Reading: American Psycho
Bookshelf Size: 1970
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-l-therese.html
Latest Review: The Middle Ages by Jane Chance

Official Review: KILLING TIMOTHY McVEIGH - The Hidden al ...

Post by L_Therese »

[Following is the official OnlineBookClub.org review of "KILLING TIMOTHY McVEIGH - The Hidden al Qaeda Attack on Oklahoma City" by Bobby Wilson, JD.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Killing Timothy McVeigh: The Hidden Al-Qaeda Attack on Oklahoma City is a non-fiction exposé by Bobby Wilson about the Oklahoma City bombing on April 19, 1995. The popularly-known narrative is that Timothy McVeigh, acting as a “lone-wolf” domestic terrorist, perpetrated the bombing of a federal building. Bobby Wilson, a retired trial lawyer, noticed a small discrepancy in the wording of trial documents, and this started him on an investigative journey to a shocking conclusion. The quest for possible co-conspirators involved in the Oklahoma City attack unearthed a web of patriotism, betrayal, and conspiracy, all enshrouded by a massive government cover-up.

Everyone loves a good conspiracy. Mr. Wilson’s version of events leading up to and following the Oklahoma City bombing is both interesting and detailed. The players’ moves and motivations are feasible, and the author sometimes reveals a source that supports his claims to truth. The story moves quickly as it builds toward the inevitable culmination of the tragic explosion and barely takes a breath before plunging into the aftermath. The end result is a web of loyalties and false alliances with a strong political motivation for silencing the whole affair.

In my opinion, the book’s greatest weakness is its narrative style. In his introduction, the author indicates that, in order to present the sequence of events as a comprehensible narrative, he sometimes recreates conversations based on a person’s documented actions. As a result, it is difficult for the reader to know when presented dialogue is a direct quote and when it is the author’s extrapolation. This may become a detriment to the author’s credibility. Perhaps another strategy could have resulted in a more thoroughly and consistently documented story while still attracting the reader’s interest.

This is also a very short book. At fewer than 100 pages, there is barely enough space to explain everything that is happening; no room is left for the slow build of intrigue or the artistry that brings characters to life. For some readers, this mostly-facts approach is desirable. The story moves quickly from character to character and event to event without many pauses. For others, especially since the story is presented as a narrative, using novel-style development would bring life to a tragedy and a time that is now more than twenty years gone.

I rate this book 3 out of 4 stars. Killing Timothy McVeigh is a fascinating story based on historical fact. Adults who are old enough to remember the attack may be interested in the new interpretation of events. Those who are too young to recall the actual day might learn something new about pre-9/11 terrorism. For any American, the Oklahoma City bombing is a part of history that served as a prelude to events and forces that have shaped, changed, and destroyed lives. We all want to know the real facts, and Bobby Wilson’s presentation offers a new alternative that is simultaneously captivating and disconcerting. It isn’t without faults, as discussed above, and these could potentially cast doubts on its veracity and stylistic merits, but this is still a book worth reading. Enjoy!

KILLING TIMOTHY McVEIGH - The Hidden al Qaeda Attack on Oklahoma City
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like L_Therese's review? Post a comment saying so!
bookowlie
Special Discussion Leader
Favorite Book: The Lost Continent
Currently Reading: The Night She Went Missing
Bookshelf Size: 442
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookowlie.html
Latest Review: To Paint A Murder by E. J. Gandolfo

Post by bookowlie »

Interesting review! You make a really good point about the recreated conversations. That would make me question what's really true and what might be embellished. This book reminds me of the info that came out after 9/11, suggesting a government conspirary.
"The best way out is always through" - Robert Frost
kimmyschemy06
Currently Reading: The Searching Three
Bookshelf Size: 694
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kimmyschemy06.html
Latest Review: Kazi Boku by M. Poyhonen

Post by kimmyschemy06 »

I was aware of the Oklahoma City Bombing and I read a story about Timoth Mc Veigh on Reader's Digest. Though the event happened a long time ago, it is still interesting to read a new interpretation of that event. I would have to agree with you about recreated conversations. Sounds a little subjective to me. Great job on the review.
barb429
Bookshelf Size: 176
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-barb429.html
Latest Review: "Tears That Changed a Nation" by Charles L. Tucker
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by barb429 »

Great review...it sounds like it could be an interesting read. However, not knowing it some parts were actual quotes or re-created conversations would probably bother me.
Latest Review: "Tears That Changed a Nation" by Charles L. Tucker
mratdegraff91
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 433
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mratdegraff91.html
Latest Review: Becoming the Dragon by Alex Sapegin
Reading Device: B018SZT3BK

Post by mratdegraff91 »

I currently live in Oklahoma City and after reading your review I think I might enjoy this book. I am one that was very young when the bombing happened and did not live anywhere near the city. I have friends who still remember it happening and one who's father would have been there that day had it not been for a doctors appointment. I will be adding this to my to read shelf and hope to get some input from the few I know who still remember it. Thank your for your review!
Madison Degraffenreid

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”