Snap Black-and-White Judgments (Book: I Love Brock Turner)

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Scott
Site Admin
Favorite Author: Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
Currently Reading: The Unbound Soul
Bookshelf Size: 340
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-scott.html
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
Publishing Contest Votes: 960
fav_author_id: 248825

Re: Snap Black-and-White Judgments (Book: I Love Brock Turne

Post by Scott »

I just sent a $120 donation to RAINN, the largest anti-sex-violence organization in the USA.

I do want to say this too:

Hate doesn't help victims. Love does.

Every second and every penny put into the distraction that is hate is a second or penny that could be put towards helping victims, protecting would-be victims, and otherwise loving and helping people. Every second and every penny. Hate is always a waste.
"That virtue we appreciate is as much ours as another's. We see so much only as we possess." - Henry David Thoreau

"Non ignara mali miseris succurrere disco." Virgil, The Aeneid
gali
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: Pride and Prejudice in Space
Bookshelf Size: 2288
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
Publishing Contest Votes: 0
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by gali »

Scott wrote:I just sent a $120 donation to RAINN, the largest anti-sex-violence organization in the USA.

Every second and every penny put into the distraction that is hate is a second or penny that could be put towards helping victims, protecting would-be victims, and otherwise loving and helping people. Every second and every penny. Hate is always a waste.
Well done! :tiphat:
A retired Admin/Mod

Pronouns: She/Her

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
P_hernandez
Currently Reading: Miss Peregrines Home For Peculiar Children
Bookshelf Size: 39
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-p-hernandez.html
Latest Review: "Anna's Way" by D.F.Jones

Post by P_hernandez »

I'm wondering if the general public is misconceiving the term "hate" for punishment. Because seeking justice and feeling overwhelmed by the lack of action in this case doesn't mean that a ton of hate is being thrown out there. For me, it's not hatred that turns my stomach at the results of this case; it's the lack of responsibility. It's the unfairness of it all. Hate is a strong word that incites strong reactions and I'm just wondering if it's being inappropriately used in this instance. (Not just here but all over social media regarding this pamphlet.)
Latest Review: "Anna's Way" by D.F.Jones
katiesquilts
Currently Reading: A Game of Thrones
Bookshelf Size: 649
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-katiesquilts.html
Latest Review: Anything For Love by Gracie Bond

Post by katiesquilts »

P_hernandez wrote:I'm wondering if the general public is misconceiving the term "hate" for punishment. Because seeking justice and feeling overwhelmed by the lack of action in this case doesn't mean that a ton of hate is being thrown out there. For me, it's not hatred that turns my stomach at the results of this case; it's the lack of responsibility. It's the unfairness of it all. Hate is a strong word that incites strong reactions and I'm just wondering if it's being inappropriately used in this instance. (Not just here but all over social media regarding this pamphlet.)
I think this is a really good point. I don't hate Brock Turner, because I honestly don't know anything about him except that he made a REALLY bad decision, and he somehow got fame because of that. I'm disappointed in him for not knowing better, and I'm upset with other people's reactions to his story, but if I met him in real life I wouldn't cuss him out or try and do anything.

Hate is a very strong term, after all.
Heidi M Simone
Official Reviewer Representative
Favorite Book: Harry Potter
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 559
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-heidi-m-simone.html
Latest Review: GPS para el cielo by Jose Rafael Nunez Patino
Publishing Contest Votes: 27
fav_author_id: 0

Post by Heidi M Simone »

Scott wrote:I just sent a $120 donation to RAINN, the largest anti-sex-violence organization in the USA.

This is extremely nice of you, Scott! Thank you again for trying to spread the word that love is the overarching feeling that should be driving our lives and decisions, not hate.
Heidi
Official Reviewer Representative

"There is nothing as powerful as a mother’s love, and nothing as healing as a child’s soul." – Unknown
MarieMc
Currently Reading: Host
Bookshelf Size: 51
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mariemc.html
Latest Review: Audible Book of your Choice by Amazon
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by MarieMc »

I also read the booklet. I left a review on Amazon as well. Coming from a background of sexual abuse, I will say that I had to take a few deep breaths before I could read the booklet. Once I saw what was being said, I saw the title could have been about anyone, not just Brock Turner. His name is just the 'bottle that holds the drink'. The message of the book was good. I could see the hit coming with that title and cover though.
Just so you know, I wrote Amazon and expressed my dismay that they banned the booklet. I do not feel it was an appropriate action for them to take. Everyone has a right to a voice. I think, had people taken themselves out of the hurt, hate and fear they have and read the booklet, they would have understood it really wasn't about Brock Turner and what he did. It's about how we choose to love or hate, really, in any given situation with any person involved.
But on the side of the victim, it sometimes takes a very long time, if ever, for a victim to achieve that kind of love and forgiveness towards anyone that perpetrates those kinds of acts.
Today is a good day
to have GOOD day!!
Laurencbosch
Currently Reading: Brisingr
Bookshelf Size: 92
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-laurencbosch.html
Latest Review: "Fleeing Eden" by Trisha M. Wilson

Post by Laurencbosch »

I just finished the book. It was very thought provoking. I've always liked to think I am one of the empathetic but now I'm not so sure. It's easy to have empathy towards everyday people who may cut you off driving or let the door slam in your face but for criminals it is more difficult. This really showed me I need to learn to work on trying to understand everyone. Thanks.
Latest Review: "Fleeing Eden" by Trisha M. Wilson
Vermont Reviews
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 4468">Scam Prevention</a>
Currently Reading: A Roadmap To Career Success
Bookshelf Size: 507
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vermont-reviews.html
Latest Review: "Book Blueprint" by Jacqui Pretty

Post by Vermont Reviews »

Scott,

I thought your book was very well written. It should be read and the material should be thought about by everyone.

Vermont Reviews
ash77atc
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ash77atc.html
Latest Review: "Broken Places" by Rachel Thompson

Post by ash77atc »

I also downloaded the booklet because there was a donation being made to sexual assault victims despite my skepticism about the title. However, I was pleasantly surprised reading it and agreed with every word. It is quite simple... love one another. We should love each other because we have to share this planet together. We should love each other because you never know what another person is experiencing at this very moment. Carrying around hatred and anger in your heart and soul is as toxic as taking a daily dose of poison. We could learn so much more from each other if we just loved those who are different from us. The best quality about love is that it is blind, so despite all our faults, mistakes, traumas, and sins we can still love and be loved. Great message!
Latest Review: "Broken Places" by Rachel Thompson
kimmyschemy06
Currently Reading: The Searching Three
Bookshelf Size: 694
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kimmyschemy06.html
Latest Review: Kazi Boku by M. Poyhonen

Post by kimmyschemy06 »

I just finished reading your booklet and I think it's wonderful. I'm from Asia and honestly, I didn't know who Brock Turner is and what he did when I downloaded it. I read it, initially, out of curiosity. I would agree with you when you said that some people judged it by its cover. It seems that they didn't even read it, because if they did, they would know that it wasn't about rape or even about Brock Turner. It is about hate and what hate does to people. Now, it seems like you are the target of that hate you wrote about (I saw your twitter). Most people are judgmental, not just about books but more especially about people who are different from them. They may know that they are wrong in being so, but, they are too proud to admit it even to themselves. I feel sorry that your book was pulled out of Amazon and I'm glad that you share it here (I saw your post in FB). You are one brave person and I'm proud I know you here in OBC. Keep writing about things that you think are worth writing about. Others may hate you for it, but some of us will love you and support you. Good luck!
gali
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: Pride and Prejudice in Space
Bookshelf Size: 2288
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
Publishing Contest Votes: 0
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by gali »

kimmyschemy06 wrote:I just finished reading your booklet and I think it's wonderful. I'm from Asia and honestly, I didn't know who Brock Turner is and what he did when I downloaded it. I read it, initially, out of curiosity. I would agree with you when you said that some people judged it by its cover. It seems that they didn't even read it, because if they did, they would know that it wasn't about rape or even about Brock Turner. It is about hate and what hate does to people. Now, it seems like you are the target of that hate you wrote about (I saw your twitter). Most people are judgmental, not just about books but more especially about people who are different from them. They may know that they are wrong in being so, but, they are too proud to admit it even to themselves. I feel sorry that your book was pulled out of Amazon and I'm glad that you share it here (I saw your post in FB). You are one brave person and I'm proud I know you here in OBC. Keep writing about things that you think are worth writing about. Others may hate you for it, but some of us will love you and support you. Good luck!
:text-yeahthat:
A retired Admin/Mod

Pronouns: She/Her

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
Vermont Reviews
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 4468">Scam Prevention</a>
Currently Reading: A Roadmap To Career Success
Bookshelf Size: 507
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vermont-reviews.html

Post by Vermont Reviews »

gali wrote:
kimmyschemy06 wrote:I just finished reading your booklet and I think it's wonderful. I'm from Asia and honestly, I didn't know who Brock Turner is and what he did when I downloaded it. I read it, initially, out of curiosity. I would agree with you when you said that some people judged it by its cover. It seems that they didn't even read it, because if they did, they would know that it wasn't about rape or even about Brock Turner. It is about hate and what hate does to people. Now, it seems like you are the target of that hate you wrote about (I saw your twitter). Most people are judgmental, not just about books but more especially about people who are different from them. They may know that they are wrong in being so, but, they are too proud to admit it even to themselves. I feel sorry that your book was pulled out of Amazon and I'm glad that you share it here (I saw your post in FB). You are one brave person and I'm proud I know you here in OBC. Keep writing about things that you think are worth writing about. Others may hate you for it, but some of us will love you and support you. Good luck!
:text-yeahthat:

I agree

Vermont Reviews

-- 19 Jun 2016, 07:33 --

Not quite sure why your book was pulled?

Vermont Reviews
Rachaelamb1
Favorite Author: CS Lewis
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... onwitch</a>
Currently Reading: Falling Star
Bookshelf Size: 128
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rachaelamb1.html
Latest Review: "Dragon Born" by Ela Lourenco

Post by Rachaelamb1 »

Wow I actually read every single comment on here. Quite a lot of different reactions! I think your book has a great message. I can understand why some people took offense to it, but honestly to cuss someone out or leave a negative review without first reading the book is childish. I still can't believe it got banned!
Latest Review: "Dragon Born" by Ela Lourenco
adria_charles
Currently Reading: The Life-Changing Magic of Tidying Up
Bookshelf Size: 268
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-adria-charles.html
Latest Review: "Turka Bella" by Jonathan Feldman

Post by adria_charles »

I downloaded this book and it took me a few days to read it. I felt that I had to process it as I went and didn't want to absorb it in one sitting. I must say it took me until halfway through the book to allow my mind to be open to what I was reading and truly accept it. Do I agree with everything that was written? No. Do I love Brock Turner? No. But there is more in this book, in the message, than just that. I had a hard time allowing myself to find that message but I am happy I did.

I am a survivor. It has been years since it happened and I still live with the trauma of it. To say I love the person that did it makes me sick to my stomach. This is why I was so hesitant to read the book, and as other people did as well, I downloaded it just for the donation. Once I did read it though I must say I absolutely am enthralled by different aspects of what Scott Hughes had to say.

It's hard for us to not carry black and white judgement. This book DOES NOT excuse what Brock did but I believe it builds a different light among the horrific situation. Hate. That is the one word I can pull from this book and say that this message surrounds. How easy it is for us to hate. To make public statements on social media about horrific people such as Brock. To make claims to what we would do to him or what we think would be justifiable punishment. To sit in our social circles and degrade and defile these people as if they deserve our time and attention. They don't and never will. Have I done it? Yes. Will I do it again? Probably. Should I? No.

Hate and anger are some of the easiest emotions to turn to. They fuel us and fire us to make stands against certain situations. As much as I used to allow my hate to take over when I see things like this, I can say I have taken something from this book to allow myself to turn my hate into something else. It won't be easy and I can say I will still carry anger and hate for people like Brock, but I feel what Scott was trying to say is I, we, the world, need to use that energy from the hate that consumes us and do good. Help those that are helpless. Donate, volunteer, make public statements about violence prevention agencies instead of stating what violence we would do to those people who we feel deserve it.

Will I always hate my abuser? Yes. Will I ever say I love him? No. Can Scott Hughes? Yes. Am I okay with that? Sure. To each their own. I see where he is coming from but no I cannot love everyone how he does. I wish I could, but I know because of my own experiences I probably will never. On that note though I feel he has made a solid point. Those that judge before reading this are unfair and don't deserve their reviews to be read by others.

Let's focus our attention on those that need our love out in the world. Not focus our attention on those who we feel deserve our hate.
Latest Review: "Turka Bella" by Jonathan Feldman
lily_kh87
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 35
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lily-kh87.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by lily_kh87 »

I've just finished reading the book. I totally understand the idea of loving all people and forgiving those who hurt us, but honestly, it's not that easy. For me, this is something that I can't possibly do. I might be able to forgive someone who did wrong to me so I can go on with my life and forget, but it is absolutely impossible for me to love that person. That just doesn't make sense to me!

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”