Official Review: Green Hero by Mervin Timothy Reyes

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Rachaelamb1
Favorite Author: CS Lewis
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... onwitch</a>
Currently Reading: Falling Star
Bookshelf Size: 128
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rachaelamb1.html
Latest Review: "Dragon Born" by Ela Lourenco

Official Review: Green Hero by Mervin Timothy Reyes

Post by Rachaelamb1 »

[Following is the official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Green Hero" by Mervin Timothy Reyes.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Green Hero by Mervin Timothy Reyes is the life-story of a man who has struggled with and overcome addictions.

Mervin grew up in a Christian home in Belize. He was naturally rebellious and in trouble so much as a child that he was eventually sent to a boy’s juvenile facility. There he excelled and became a responsible young man. Eventually he joined the Belize military and became a soldier, or Green Hero. A bad marriage, alcoholism, and an introduction to cocaine set him on a downward spiral that nearly destroyed him. Throw in a few robberies, incarceration, escape, and treks through the jungle and this is a fascinating story.

Mervin’s story is also one of faith. Throughout his life, he has always had some sort of belief in God. As a young boy he would pray and desire to know more about God. As a young adult, he received Christ and was baptized. As an adult he rebelled against God for many years, but he knew who to turn to when he hit rock bottom.

This book touched me personally because I have a father who is addicted to drugs. Reading about the author’s life helped me understand a little more about my father. I used to work at a prison aftercare ministry and have heard many stories. I thought Green Hero would be a similar tale. Boy was I wrong! It is entirely unique; from his upbringing all the way to the end. I find it most encouraging that his recovery from addiction does not happen overnight. It takes years of trying and failing. It gives me hope to never give up on anyone who struggles with addiction. For all I know, their healing may just be around the corner.

Unfortunately, the book does have numerous grammatical errors. There are missing words, incorrect capitalization, and a misuse of homophones. I find that people tend to discredit opposing ideas or philosophies in a book if there is poor grammar which is a real shame because we can learn a lot from other people’s lives.

I thought there were some slow parts about half-way into the book. This is mostly due to the fact that the author was at a very low point in his life and I started to get depressed about his situation. The second half of the book was much more exciting for me; to the point of not being able to put the book down!

My rating for Green Hero is 3 out of 4 stars. I debated on a lower rating because of the grammatical errors, but because I could not put the book down, I think it deserves 3 stars. I recommend this book to anyone who is struggling with an addiction or has a loved one who is.

Green Hero
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Rachaelamb1's review? Post a comment saying so!
Heidi M Simone
Official Reviewer Representative
Favorite Book: Harry Potter
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 559
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-heidi-m-simone.html
Latest Review: GPS para el cielo by Jose Rafael Nunez Patino
Publishing Contest Votes: 27
fav_author_id: 0

Post by Heidi M Simone »

Wonderful review, Rachaelamb1! It's amazing how a book can touch us. I'm sorry to hear about your father's situation, but appreciate you sharing. It sounds like an inspiring read even with its grammatical errors.
Heidi
Official Reviewer Representative

"There is nothing as powerful as a mother’s love, and nothing as healing as a child’s soul." – Unknown
Rachaelamb1

Post by Rachaelamb1 »

Thank you, yes it is inspiring!
bookowlie
Special Discussion Leader
Favorite Book: The Lost Continent
Currently Reading: The Night She Went Missing
Bookshelf Size: 442
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookowlie.html
Latest Review: To Paint A Murder by E. J. Gandolfo

Post by bookowlie »

I enjoyed reading your thorough review. The book sounds interesting and inspiring. I'm sorry to hear about your father's addiction.
"The best way out is always through" - Robert Frost
Rachaelamb1

Post by Rachaelamb1 »

Thanks, I am glad I got to read it. I never knew my father growing up, but have contacted him a few times in recent years. I am still hopeful that one day we will have a relationship. This book encourages me not to give up on him.
literarycat
Favorite Author: Ted Dekker
Currently Reading: Survivors: Secrets
Bookshelf Size: 2331
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-literarycat.html
Latest Review: Diary of a Snoopy Cat by R.F. Kristi
Reading Device: B004DLPXAO
fav_author_id: 2881

Post by literarycat »

Great review, and nice you were able to relate to the character on a certain level (sorry about the circumstances of that relation). I love your last comment in the replies that it encourages you to continue to have hope. Great books help up hold on to those things. It sounds like a fantastically inspiring read, I need one of those. Thanks for the review.
The world breaks everyone, and afterwards, some are strong at the broken points ~ Ernest Hemingway.
Kia
Currently Reading: Damaged Goods
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kia.html
Latest Review: Wheel of Katarnum by James Calliotte
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Kia »

It is always so great when a book can speak to us in a way that this novel clearly has with you. I'm so glad you enjoyed reading it, and thank you for your honest review.
"Yes, the past can hurt. But the way I see it you can either run from it, or learn from it."- Rafiki
bookowlie
Special Discussion Leader
Favorite Book: The Lost Continent
Currently Reading: The Night She Went Missing
Bookshelf Size: 442
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookowlie.html
Latest Review: To Paint A Murder by E. J. Gandolfo

Post by bookowlie »

Rachaelamb1 wrote:Thanks, I am glad I got to read it. I never knew my father growing up, but have contacted him a few times in recent years. I am still hopeful that one day we will have a relationship. This book encourages me not to give up on him.
I hope things work out and that one day you will get to know your father better.
"The best way out is always through" - Robert Frost
Rachaelamb1

Post by Rachaelamb1 »

Thank you all for your kind comments!

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”