Official Review: Looking for Lydia; Looking for God

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Shelle
Currently Reading: For the Love
Bookshelf Size: 57
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shelle.html
Latest Review: A Positive Thought a Day Keeps the Negative Away by Dr. Curtis E. Smith
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Official Review: Looking for Lydia; Looking for God

Post by Shelle »

[Following is the official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Looking for Lydia; Looking for God" by Dean Robertson.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Where did she come from? What did she want? What did she gain? What did she lose? In Looking for Lydia; Looking for God, author Dean Robertson and the ladies of her weekly Bible study ask, answer, and debate these four questions as they study the women of the Bible and examine themselves. Their questions and answers are poignant, joyful, and heartbreaking at times. I easily rated this book 4 out of 4 stars. It is incredibly well-written, extensively researched, and clearly comes straight from the author's heart.

The elderly women of the Lydia Roper Home in Norfolk, Virginia have all lived colorful and complicated lives and are now spending their twilight years in a group home, meeting together on Wednesday mornings for Bible study. Author Dean Robertson explains that while she intended to write about these wonderful and complex ladies, she could not ignore their patroness, Mrs. Lydia Roper herself. Since their home was a gift from Lydia, and named after her, surely there was a rich and beautiful story there as well. All the information the home itself gives is a rough outline of a Civil War bride who moves from Pennsylvania with her carpetbagger husband to start a new life in Virginia. As Dean keeps digging, she asks of Lydia the same questions she asks of the women of the Bible. Where did she come from? What did she want? What did she gain? What did she lose?

Looking for Lydia really encompasses two distinct stories that intertwine; the current ladies of the Lydia Roper Home and their Bible study, and the search for Lydia Roper and the story she does (or does not) reveal. There are several photographs included in the book that give the reader a very clear picture of certain characters of the story and their homes, as well as historical art that ties in well with the Bible study. The attention to detail in the research and reporting of this story was very impressive and seeing the author pour her heart on the page was my favorite part of the book.

While the research of actually looking for Lydia was impressive, the Bible study itself was doubly so. Dean Robertson wasn't leading the ladies of the Lydia Roper home in some feel-good, let's-only-talk-about-happy-things study. These women dove into the Bible and dove deeply, often asking far more questions than were answered. Some of the women didn’t hear or see well, one could hardly walk, and another fell asleep often, but they were all consistently there, wanting to learn from Dean and from each other. While reading about the Lydia Roper ladies and their search for God, I was able to do some searching myself. The author references many sections of scripture, and I was glad to have my own Bible handy to dive deeper too. Due to the meaty nature of the Bible study, this book certainly isn't a quick read or one to take lightly.

I think Looking for Lydia; Looking for God could appeal to a wide variety of readers. Lovers of post-Civil War history or the rebuilding of the South would be interested in all the history of the Lydia Roper Home and the Roper family. Theologians and Bible aficionados would greatly enjoy Dean Robertson’s study of the women of the Bible. Because this book asks so many weighty and important questions, I think it could also be a great choice for a book club and ignite some interesting discussions.

Looking for Lydia; Looking for God
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Shelle's review? Post a comment saying so!
A book is a gift you can open again and again.
-Garrison Keillor
Rachaelamb1
Favorite Author: CS Lewis
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... onwitch</a>
Currently Reading: Falling Star
Bookshelf Size: 128
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rachaelamb1.html
Latest Review: "Dragon Born" by Ela Lourenco

Post by Rachaelamb1 »

I remember seeing this one up for review. It sounds great! I love the idea of having a Bible study along with a story. Thanks for the review!
Latest Review: "Dragon Born" by Ela Lourenco
kimmyschemy06
Currently Reading: The Searching Three
Bookshelf Size: 694
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kimmyschemy06.html
Latest Review: Kazi Boku by M. Poyhonen

Post by kimmyschemy06 »

Sounds like an enlightening book. Nice job on the review.
bookowlie
Special Discussion Leader
Favorite Book: The Lost Continent
Currently Reading: The Night She Went Missing
Bookshelf Size: 442
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookowlie.html
Latest Review: To Paint A Murder by E. J. Gandolfo

Post by bookowlie »

Great review for what sounds like an interesting book! It's very creative to include a Bible study plotline so that weighty issues can be discussed.
"The best way out is always through" - Robert Frost
vaughn2015
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by vaughn2015 »

Shelle, thank you so much for this review. I am really pleased that you like the book but even more pleased that you "get it" and have focused on exactly the things I feel are important.

Thank you; thank you.
Shelle
Currently Reading: For the Love
Bookshelf Size: 57
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shelle.html
Latest Review: A Positive Thought a Day Keeps the Negative Away by Dr. Curtis E. Smith
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by Shelle »

vaughn2015 wrote:Shelle, thank you so much for this review. I am really pleased that you like the book but even more pleased that you "get it" and have focused on exactly the things I feel are important.

Thank you; thank you.
I really did enjoy it! I sincerely hope the Lydia Roper ladies liked being in the spotlight for a bit and sharing a few pieces of themselves.
A book is a gift you can open again and again.
-Garrison Keillor
Heidi M Simone
Official Reviewer Representative
Favorite Book: Harry Potter
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 559
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-heidi-m-simone.html
Latest Review: GPS para el cielo by Jose Rafael Nunez Patino
Publishing Contest Votes: 27
fav_author_id: 0

Post by Heidi M Simone »

Fantastic review, Shelle! This sounds like something I may enjoy. I really like the "double" storylines here - the elderly women discussing women from the Bible while trying to understand Lydia Roper and her story.
Congratulations to the author for receiving such a wonderful review! :tiphat:
Heidi
Official Reviewer Representative

"There is nothing as powerful as a mother’s love, and nothing as healing as a child’s soul." – Unknown
Paul C
Bookshelf Size: 2

Post by Paul C »

Great review!!! I'm intrigued

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”