Official Review: What Matters Most: Family, Friends, and ...

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
owensbook
Bookshelf Size: 0
Signature Addition: View official OnlineBookClub.org review of What Matters Most: Family, Friends, and Foes

Re: Official Review: What Matters Most: Family, Friends, and

Post by owensbook »

Bookowlie, my next book is due out in Nov 2017 - I sure hope I am privileged to have you do my official review again. I really do appreciate your candidness and unbiased reviews.
bookowlie
Special Discussion Leader
Favorite Book: The Lost Continent
Currently Reading: The Night She Went Missing
Bookshelf Size: 442
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookowlie.html
Latest Review: To Paint A Murder by E. J. Gandolfo

Post by bookowlie »

Thanks for the kind words. I would be happy to. You can contact Scott, the admin, if you would like a particular reviewer. Otherwise, I am sure the other reviewers will also do a great job. :)

That's great that you are planning to write another book! You might want to check out the writing and marketing sub-forums on this site. The members here are a friendly, supportive bunch and they share tips and advice about navigating the world of indie books.
"The best way out is always through" - Robert Frost
H0LD0Nthere
Favorite Book: Til We Have Faces by C. S. Lewis
Bookshelf Size: 52
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-h0ld0nthere.html
Latest Review: "Adventures in space & fiction fantasy" by Robin G Howard

Post by H0LD0Nthere »

Wow. This is eerily like the book I just reviewed, except with a positive/God-glorifying philosophy instead of a negative/self-justifying one. And what a difference that makes!

Since the author is a pastor, it makes a certain amount of sense to me that he uses his personal experiences as jumping-off points for denser homilies. That's a familiar pattern from sermons.

Sounds like he would be a wonderful person to meet face to face.
Latest Review: "Adventures in space & fiction fantasy" by Robin G Howard
bookowlie

Post by bookowlie »

H0LD0Nthere wrote:Wow. This is eerily like the book I just reviewed, except with a positive/God-glorifying philosophy instead of a negative/self-justifying one. And what a difference that makes!

Since the author is a pastor, it makes a certain amount of sense to me that he uses his personal experiences as jumping-off points for denser homilies. That's a familiar pattern from sermons.

Sounds like he would be a wonderful person to meet face to face.
You took the words right out of my mouth! That was exactly what I thought when I read your review.

You make a good point that pastors commonly use personal experiences to draw from when crafting a sermon.
Krypt
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Krypt »

I like the review
literarycat
Favorite Author: Ted Dekker
Currently Reading: Survivors: Secrets
Bookshelf Size: 2331
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-literarycat.html
Latest Review: Diary of a Snoopy Cat by R.F. Kristi
Reading Device: B004DLPXAO
fav_author_id: 2881

Post by literarycat »

Thanks for the review Owlie, it doesn't seem like my cup of tea either, but I am always willing to give a book a try, never know a book just might surprise me and become one that I completely love.
The world breaks everyone, and afterwards, some are strong at the broken points ~ Ernest Hemingway.
bookowlie

Post by bookowlie »

Thanks Krypt and welcome to the forums. :)
Thanks Literarycat. I completely agree that a book can surprise you and turn into a favorite. That's why in-person and online book clubs are great. You can wind up reading a wonderful book you might not have otherwise given a second glance.
bookowlie

Post by bookowlie »

Thanks Krypt and welcome to the forums. :)
Thanks Literarycat. I completely agree that a book can surprise you and turn into a favorite. That's why in-person and online book clubs are great. You can wind up reading a wonderful book you might not have otherwise given a second glance.
literarycat
Favorite Author: Ted Dekker
Currently Reading: Survivors: Secrets
Bookshelf Size: 2331
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-literarycat.html
Latest Review: Diary of a Snoopy Cat by R.F. Kristi
Reading Device: B004DLPXAO
fav_author_id: 2881

Post by literarycat »

bookowlie wrote:Thanks Krypt and welcome to the forums. :)
You know surprisingly enough there are no book clubs in Pittsburgh that I can attend. The library has a mystery one during the day when I work boo. That's why I was so excited to find this forum :-). Can't wait to begin this one.
The world breaks everyone, and afterwards, some are strong at the broken points ~ Ernest Hemingway.
NadineTimes10
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 3844">John Nielson Had a Daughter</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 127
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nadinetimes10.html
Latest Review: Joletta’s Dreams by Karen Craker Forester

Post by NadineTimes10 »

Always a plus when a reviewer can critique a book without belittling it, and an author can appreciate the critique. It's my first time seeing this kind of reviewer/author interaction play out in a forum, and I applaud both Owlie and Owen Watson. Nice review! :-)
Rachaelamb1
Favorite Author: CS Lewis
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... onwitch</a>
Currently Reading: Falling Star
Bookshelf Size: 128
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rachaelamb1.html
Latest Review: "Dragon Born" by Ela Lourenco

Post by Rachaelamb1 »

H0LD0Nthere wrote:Wow. This is eerily like the book I just reviewed, except with a positive/God-glorifying philosophy instead of a negative/self-justifying one. And what a difference that makes!.

Well said! Great example of how God can turn even the bitter things in our life into sweet.

This sounds like an inspirational book that I'd like. I'm going to add it to my to- read list.
Latest Review: "Dragon Born" by Ela Lourenco
bookowlie

Post by bookowlie »

NadineTimes10 wrote:Always a plus when a reviewer can critique a book without belittling it, and an author can appreciate the critique. It's my first time seeing this kind of reviewer/author interaction play out in a forum, and I applaud both Owlie and Owen Watson. Nice review! :-)
Thanks NadineTimes. :) Overall the book was an worthwhile read. I also don't think I mentioned that the book is refreshing free of grammatical errors. I found this a pleasant surprise for a self-published book.

-- 02 Feb 2016, 15:48 --
Rachaelamb1 wrote:
H0LD0Nthere wrote:Wow. This is eerily like the book I just reviewed, except with a positive/God-glorifying philosophy instead of a negative/self-justifying one. And what a difference that makes!.

Well said! Great example of how God can turn even the bitter things in our life into sweet.

This sounds like an inspirational book that I'd like. I'm going to add it to my to- read list.
It's so true that the author looked back on his life without a bitter taste. The book is inspiring. :)

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”