Official Review: What Matters Most: Family, Friends, and ...

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
bookowlie
Special Discussion Leader
Favorite Book: The Lost Continent
Currently Reading: The Night She Went Missing
Bookshelf Size: 442
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookowlie.html
Latest Review: To Paint A Murder by E. J. Gandolfo

Official Review: What Matters Most: Family, Friends, and ...

Post by bookowlie »

[Following is the official OnlineBookClub.org review of "What Matters Most: Family, Friends, and Foes" by Owen Watson.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

What Matters Most: Family, Friends, and Foes by Owen Watson is a non-fiction book about how the author’s experiences have shaped his life. He recounts different people and incidents throughout his life from a strong Christian perspective. Even negative events and foes are viewed as lessons learned. There are inspirational tie-ins at the end of each chapter that relate to his recollections.

When Mr. Watson was ten years old, his parents decided to move the family from a crime-ridden Chicago neighborhood to Blytheville, Arkansas where his grandparents lived. As an adult, he served in the Navy and Navy Reserve, and worked at the Post Office and as a minister. He credits certain people as spiritual guides at different points in his life, including a few colleagues.

I initially thought this book was going to be a memoir. It turned out to be more of a motivational book of inspirational teachings that relate to events throughout Mr. Watson’s life. During the descriptions of various people and occurrences, there is an insertion of religious analysis. At times the book seemed like a series of sermons based on his life experiences.

Mr. Watson’s childhood reminiscences are vividly written. There are also interesting passages about the author’s duty assignments in the Navy and a wonderful chapter of original poems. “Painted Picture Perfect” and “Is this the ‘United’ States?” are standouts, but really all of the poems are well written.

The story moves forward in fits and starts. The first few chapters grabbed my attention, with memories of growing up in Chicago and Arkansas. Then the book branches off with scattered switches between childhood memories, positive and negative experiences in the Navy and other jobs, and religious teachings. For example, the author would write about an incident from 2005 and the next chapter would switch back to events from the 1990’s. He would discuss problems after a promotion and then a flashback chapter would follow about the author’s submarine tender assignment right out of boot camp. The pacing is slow due to these frequent time jumps, interspersed with religious reflections.

The writing style is uneven. The memoir-style parts are written in a casual, conversational tone and flow well. On the other hand, the philosophical sections are long-winded and dense. A few passages are confusing since the author will briefly reference something in his life that wasn’t previously discussed. As a result, I could only speculate about what he might have been talking about. For example, he writes about something that happened while he was working in Millington and then references a particular officer in a subsequent paragraph, even though Millington was never previously mentioned. Also, his “transformation” in Virginia is initially mentioned in passing as if the reader was already privy to this information.

I rate this book 3 out of 4 stars. The author’s positivity is apparent at every turn and his reminiscences are well written and relatable. However, the story didn’t flow well due to the issues I mentioned. I would recommend this book to readers who enjoy memoirs viewed through a religious lens.

What Matters Most: Family, Friends, and Foes
View: on Bookshelves

Like bookowlie's review? Post a comment saying so!
"The best way out is always through" - Robert Frost
gali
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: The Suite Life
Bookshelf Size: 2287
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
Publishing Contest Votes: 0
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by gali »

Great and insightful review! Not my cup of tea, but I am glad you found it interesting overall.
A retired Admin/Mod

Pronouns: She/Her

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
bookowlie

Post by bookowlie »

Thanks Gali. I can't say it was my cup of tea either, but it was still thought-provoking.
anonanemone
Favorite Author: So many...
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 24">Tinder Stricken</a>
Currently Reading: Outland Exile
Bookshelf Size: 901
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anonanemone.html
Latest Review: "The Shark in the Park" by Mark Watson

Post by anonanemone »

Sounds like the general idea could be good if the book didn't go in quite so many directions (e.g. poetry, philosophy). Good review!
The world lives between those who say it cannot be done and those who say that it can. And in my experience, those who say that it can be done are usually telling the truth. --Lord Vetinari (Discworld, Raising Steam)
Latest Review: "The Shark in the Park" by Mark Watson
bluemel4
Favorite Author: Anne Bishop
Currently Reading: The Dark Tower, Books 1-3
Bookshelf Size: 466
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bluemel4.html
Latest Review: "Severed Threads" by Kaylin McFarren
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
fav_author_id: 6086

Post by bluemel4 »

Very well-written and balanced review. This book is not my cup of tea either.
"Life is a journey, not a destination" --Ralph Waldo Emerson
Latest Review: "Severed Threads" by Kaylin McFarren
owensbook
Bookshelf Size: 0
Signature Addition: View official OnlineBookClub.org review of What Matters Most: Family, Friends, and Foes

Post by owensbook »

Really appreciate and enjoyed reading the review. The only correction I will state is that of being on a 'submarine' - I never was stationed on a 'submarine' nor is it stated in the book. Other than that, I do appreciate the constructive criticism in moving forward. Thank you much - bookowlie.
Shelle
Currently Reading: For the Love
Bookshelf Size: 57
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shelle.html
Latest Review: A Positive Thought a Day Keeps the Negative Away by Dr. Curtis E. Smith

Post by Shelle »

Great Review! It sounds like it was written in the style that I think - jumping around from today, years ago, something some one once told me, a neat book I read, a trip I'd like to take, that time my sister was really mean, and so on and so on. I imagine it would be confusing to read and the farthest thing from linear. It does sound like it covers some topics I'm interested in, so maybe I'll check it out.
bookowlie

Post by bookowlie »

owensbook wrote:Really appreciate and enjoyed reading the review. The only correction I will state is that of being on a 'submarine' - I never was stationed on a 'submarine' nor is it stated in the book. Other than that, I do appreciate the constructive criticism in moving forward. Thank you much - bookowlie.
I thought the first assignment was on a submarine tender in Italy. I thought that meant a submarine - my mistake. I need to look up the definition of a submarine tender!

-- 29 Jan 2016, 17:27 --
anonanemone wrote:Sounds like the general idea could be good if the book didn't go in quite so many directions (e.g. poetry, philosophy). Good review!
Thanks Anonanemone. Actually, the poetry was a separate chapter near the end of the book, so it wasn't a distraction at all. Overall I did enjoy the book and appreciated the fine writing.

-- 29 Jan 2016, 17:30 --

Bluemel and Shelle - Thanks for the positive feedback. Many parts of the story were interesting and thought-provoking. I found myself still thinking about the story the day after finishing the book, so I guess it is my cup of tea after all!

-- 29 Jan 2016, 19:47 --
owensbook wrote:Really appreciate and enjoyed reading the review. The only correction I will state is that of being on a 'submarine' - I never was stationed on a 'submarine' nor is it stated in the book. Other than that, I do appreciate the constructive criticism in moving forward. Thank you much - bookowlie.
I apologize for misunderstanding what a submarine tender is. I thought it was a type of submarine. I just looked up the term - it is a type of boat or ship that supplies and supports submarines. I am going to contact the admin to see if I can add the word "tender" after "submarine" in my review for accuracy. Again, I apologize for assuming a submarine tender was a type of submarine.
TrishaAnn92
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... =2595">The Messenger (2)</a>
Currently Reading: A Game of Thrones
Bookshelf Size: 192
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-trishaann92.html
Latest Review: Superhighway by Alex Fayman
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
Publishing Contest Votes: 20

Post by TrishaAnn92 »

Great review bookowlie! Not really up my alley but I'm glad you found it interesting!
owensbook
Signature Addition: View official OnlineBookClub.org review of What Matters Most: Family, Friends, and Foes

Post by owensbook »

bookowlie wrote:
I thought the first assignment was on a submarine tender in Italy. I thought that meant a submarine - my mistake. I need to look up the definition of a submarine tender!

-- 29 Jan 2016, 17:27 --
anonanemone wrote:Sounds like the general idea could be good if the book didn't go in quite so many directions (e.g. poetry, philosophy). Good review!
Thanks Anonanemone. Actually, the poetry was a separate chapter near the end of the book, so it wasn't a distraction at all. Overall I did enjoy the book and appreciated the fine writing.

-- 29 Jan 2016, 17:30 --

Bluemel and Shelle - Thanks for the positive feedback. Many parts of the story were interesting and thought-provoking. I found myself still thinking about the story the day after finishing the book, so I guess it is my cup of tea after all!

-- 29 Jan 2016, 19:47 --
I apologize for misunderstanding what a submarine tender is. I thought it was a type of submarine. I just looked up the term - it is a type of boat or ship that supplies and supports submarines. I am going to contact the admin to see if I can add the word "tender" after "submarine" in my review for accuracy. Again, I apologize for assuming a submarine tender was a type of submarine.
Bookowlie - no problem at all, an honest mistake. Again, thank you much for the book review.

-- 29 Jan 2016, 20:03 --

As the author of What Matters Most, I sincerely hope that anyone who is not simply looking for a good read but realize the need of motivation/inspiration and personal growth would surely check out this book for themselves. I truly believe that you will learn something that will give an enlightening perspective of whatever situation you're faced with, rather in your own life or the lives of close relatives and friends around you.
bookowlie

Post by bookowlie »

I agree. The book is inspirational. I think most people would find the content relatable and useful in their own lives.

-- 29 Jan 2016, 21:25 --

TrishaAnn, Thanks for the kind words. The book is a combination of a memoir and a self-help, motivational book so I think it will appeal to a wide range of readers.
kimmyschemy06
Currently Reading: The Searching Three
Bookshelf Size: 694
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kimmyschemy06.html
Latest Review: Kazi Boku by M. Poyhonen

Post by kimmyschemy06 »

I love motivational books. However, the time jumps may make it difficult for me to follow. Still, I hope I get the chance to read this book. Congratulations to Owen Watson!
bookowlie

Post by bookowlie »

Kimmyschemy, I think you would enjoy this book. The author is humble and thoughtful in his writing, which is refreshing. Too often authors write books where they brag about their accomplishments and try to justify their less than honorable behavior. Thankfully, this is not the case here.
owensbook

Post by owensbook »

Kimmyschemy06 and bookowlie - Thank you both for the kind words! My only hope is that this book can help others in some way through their life journey.
bookowlie

Post by bookowlie »

You are most welcome. I think motivational books are great since readers will always find something positive and useful to take away from reading them. It might be something an experience they can relate to, a philosophical point they find comforting, or just the positive theme that motivates them to do better. Well done!

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”