Official Review: Humanists vs. Humanoids

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
H0LD0Nthere
Favorite Book: Til We Have Faces by C. S. Lewis
Bookshelf Size: 52
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-h0ld0nthere.html
Latest Review: "Adventures in space & fiction fantasy" by Robin G Howard

Official Review: Humanists vs. Humanoids

Post by H0LD0Nthere »

[Following is the official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Humanists vs. Humanoids" by Francis T. Sganga and May Locke Sganga.]
Book Cover
2 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Frank Sganga is a vigorous nonagenarian with decades of experience in education, who still plays racquetball. Humanists vs. Humanoids is his professional autobiography. If it were written in ancient times, it might have been called his Apologia, or “defense.” (If you are wondering about the unique title, its meaning will become clear in a moment.)

Mr. Sganga begins his story in 1968, when he was already a seasoned 47-year-old with experience in teaching, administration, and math curriculum design. That year, a teachers’ union led a massive walkout in Volusia County, Florida, where he worked. Because a strike was illegal according to the teachers’ contracts, the union asked them to “resign,” confident that they would get their old jobs back when negotiations were over.

Mr. Sganga was called in at the last moment to take charge of a high school in which the principal, vice principal, and a majority of the teachers had resigned. He had one weekend to find substitute teachers and prepare to take over the school to keep complete pandemonium from ensuing.

Due to his experience, leadership abilities, and forceful, maverick personality, Mr. Sganga not only kept order in the school, but kept it humming with orderly activity until the end of the semester. Had he not done so, the school might have been closed down and the senior class might not have graduated.

In the course of doing this, Mr. Sganga made enemies of some union members who remained in the school system for the rest of his career. He himself developed a strong antipathy to the union. The rest of the book details the ups and downs of his career in education, including primarily his efforts to advance to leadership positions and to get the recognition he felt he deserved for saving the school in 1968, as well as for subsequent accomplishments in designing teaching aids and innovative curricula. If you are curious about Mr. Sganga’s accomplishments, they are given in much more detail in the book. He describes his math programs (his forte) in some detail, and rehearses his accomplishments about once a chapter.

Mr. Sganga appears to be an excellent principal and an even better math teacher. His philosophy of coaching each math student individually, starting where they are at and building from there, makes me wish I’d had him as a math teacher.

However, I would not have wanted him as a colleague, boss, or especially a subordinate. Mr. Sganga evinces a bitter, self-righteous, and self-justifying attitude that unfortunately turns this book into little more than an extended rant. After I got through the part about the union walkout (which was fascinating), I had to take the book in small sips. The author interrupts his own story to insert self-justifying monologues so often that it is hard to keep reading for more than a few pages at a time.

This attitude could have been predicted from the first three chapters of the book, which lay out a simplistic philosophy of good and evil. For Mr. Sganga, the world is divided into two kinds of people, whom he calls Humanists and Humanoids. Humanists are normal, kind human beings who apply compassion, logic, and common sense. Naturally, Mr. Sganga classes himself among these. As for Humanoids, they are bureaucratic types who are devoid of common sense, compassion, or any normal human feeling except the hunger for power. For examples of Humanoids, Mr. Sganga mentions the Chinese takeover of Tibet; North Korean leader Kim Jong-un; Josef Stalin; Adolf Hitler (of course); and he goes into some detail about serial rapist and killer Ted Bundy.

To his credit, the author acknowledges that not every Humanoid is as depraved as Ted Bundy. He says that both Humanists and Humanoids can be rated on a scale of 1 to 10. Bundy is a 10. In practice, however, all it takes to get on his Humanoid list is to do something that harms or opposes him. When his beloved wife unexpectedly died of cancer, Mr. Sganga was convinced it was due to neglect and labeled her doctor a Humanoid. Late in the book, he refers to an enemy at work with whom he had some minor conflict as a “scale-10 Humanoid.”

Even more sinister, Mr. Sganga (who is intelligent, competitive, and savvy), believes that it is OK to treat humanoids immorally. For example, it is fine to lie to them, because you have to “use the same methods they do.” They are, after all, not even fully human!

The effects of this unfortunate philosophy can be seen in Mr. Sganga’s behavior throughout the book. On his own showing, he lies to his “Humanoid” bosses and colleagues, brags, and deliberately intimidates. He conducts smear campaigns in the local newspapers and writes anonymous poison pen notes and puts them in people’s mailboxes, justifying himself that “everyone knew I wrote it, but no one could prove it.” In the meantime, he is indignant with the Humanoids in his life for their “underhanded tactics” and for “not even having the decency to say it to my face.” When old enemies die, he figuratively dances on their graves, and literally refuses to attend their funerals (in one case because someone had the gall to write him a letter of appreciation instead of saying the same things to his face).

By the end of book, the Mr. Sganga is so paranoid that he sees sinister motives every time someone in his professional life does not agree with him. When people with whom he’s having a conflict still greet him in the hallways, this is hypocrisy and “acting like it wasn’t even happening.” It never occurs to him that perhaps these people are trying to behave graciously with someone who is giving them trouble.

I have no doubt that this review will get me put on Mr. Sganga’s “Humanoid” list. He will probably point out that he has decades of experience in teaching and administration, and I have none. That is very true.

Also true is his second anticipated claim, that everything written about his professional career is 100% true. The book is larded with original sources. Most chapters contain excerpts, or even the entirety, of numerous documents, such as interoffice memos, newspaper articles, and letters written by Mr. Sganga and by others. Mr. Sganga seems to have saved everything.

These excerpts themselves are frequently interrupted by the author’s own comments. Usually (except in the case of photocopies), the excerpt is indented, then the comment is indented further within the excerpt. However, there are many exceptions to this rule, and Mr. Sganga also inserts one- or two-word comments that are not italicized or indented. (He cannot bear to let his enemies have their say even for a paragraph!) These formatting issues are not terribly confusing, however, for it is always easy to tell what is the original source and what is Mr. Sganga’s own voice.

Other than the formatting issues, the book is well edited and also includes many photos. Mr. Sganga is careful to give his adversaries’ full names and to include their photos whenever possible.

I first picked up this book because the title led me to believe that it would be a philosophical exploration of what it means to be human. When I read the description, I saw that it was going to be a professional autobiography and an expose. That still sounded good … I love a good expose! But I knew there was a risk that the book would be a bitter rant, and that is exactly what it has turned out to be. Perhaps this book could have been a good expose of the Florida school system if written more dispassionately and with more of a focus on the conditions in the schools, less on Mr. Sganga’s career. Unfortunately, Mr. Sganga’s obvious goal of justifying himself takes this book out of the realm of investigative reporting and seriously damages its credibility. That’s too bad. I cannot give it a high rating. But because the actual writing is not too bad, I give Humanists vs. Humanoids two out of four stars.

Humanists vs. Humanoids
View: on Bookshelves

Like H0LD0Nthere's review? Post a comment saying so!
bluemel4
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Anne Bishop
Currently Reading: The Dark Tower, Books 1-3
Bookshelf Size: 466
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bluemel4.html
Latest Review: "Severed Threads" by Kaylin McFarren
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
fav_author_id: 6086

Post by bluemel4 »

Wow. Saying you read this book in small sips is genius. Very well-written and interesting review. The book sounds like it had a very unsympathetic author that was hard to like.
"Life is a journey, not a destination" --Ralph Waldo Emerson
Latest Review: "Severed Threads" by Kaylin McFarren
bookowlie
Special Discussion Leader
Favorite Book: The Lost Continent
Currently Reading: The Night She Went Missing
Bookshelf Size: 442
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookowlie.html
Latest Review: To Paint A Murder by E. J. Gandolfo

Post by bookowlie »

What an insightful, balanced review! You made some very good points about the story being a bitter rant and the author constantly justifying his behavior.
"The best way out is always through" - Robert Frost
H0LD0Nthere

Post by H0LD0Nthere »

Thanks for your kind words, Bookowlie and Bluemel4.

The author is actually very energetic and somewhat charming when he's not on a topic that makes him bitter. Unfortunately that's only about two chapters' worth. :)
chytach18-
Favorite Author: John Fowles
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 3">Strange Case of Dr Jekill and Mr Hyde</a>
Currently Reading: Dark Corners
Bookshelf Size: 98
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chytach18.html
Latest Review: "Smiling Exercises, and Other Stories" by Dan Malakin
fav_author_id: 2947

Post by chytach18- »

Holdonthere, you wrote, "I first picked up this book because the title led me to believe that it would be a philosophical exploration of what it means to be human". That was the reason I picked this review to read. it seems we both were mistaken. I would run away from Mr Sganga as far as I could. Wonderful review, Holdonthere! Well done!
Latest Review: "Smiling Exercises, and Other Stories" by Dan Malakin
H0LD0Nthere

Post by H0LD0Nthere »

Ha ha, sorry about the letdown, chytach18-, but thanks for leaving a comment anyway!
kimmyschemy06
Currently Reading: The Searching Three
Bookshelf Size: 694
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kimmyschemy06.html
Latest Review: Kazi Boku by M. Poyhonen

Post by kimmyschemy06 »

That was a very honest review. Sounds like a very subjective book :)
Heidi M Simone
Official Reviewer Representative
Favorite Book: Harry Potter
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 559
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-heidi-m-simone.html
Latest Review: GPS para el cielo by Jose Rafael Nunez Patino
Publishing Contest Votes: 27
fav_author_id: 0

Post by Heidi M Simone »

Thank you for the very honest and well-written review! At first, I thought 'hm...sounds like a good story, wonder why you gave it a 2'. Then, I kept reading and understand better. Your review was very insightful. Hopefully you'll enjoy your next book more!
Heidi

"There is nothing as powerful as a mother’s love, and nothing as healing as a child’s soul." – Unknown
H0LD0Nthere

Post by H0LD0Nthere »

Thanks for the visit, Hsimone! I started out with the book's strong points because I felt it was only fair to give the book - and the author - his due. As for your other concern, my next book is looking good already. :)
Heidi M Simone
Favorite Book: Harry Potter
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 559
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-heidi-m-simone.html
Latest Review: GPS para el cielo by Jose Rafael Nunez Patino
Publishing Contest Votes: 27
fav_author_id: 0

Post by Heidi M Simone »

Nice! I'm glad to hear it! :)
Heidi

"There is nothing as powerful as a mother’s love, and nothing as healing as a child’s soul." – Unknown
LivreAmour217
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Too many to count
Favorite Book: Ditto
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 294
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-livreamour217.html
Latest Review: Island Games by Caleb J. Boyer

Post by LivreAmour217 »

Very good, well-balanced review! I've actually read another one of Mr. Sganga's books, and I'm rather surprised by the bitter tone of this one! I might go ahead and read this book for two reasons: 1) I enjoyed his other book (in which he didn't seem bitter or angry at all) and 2) I'm no fan of teachers unions myself. I've worked in the school system for three years, and I could probably pen my own multi-paged rant!

Thank you for the thoroughness of this review. When I pick this book up, I will definitely know what I'm getting myself into!
"Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one." - Albert Einstein
H0LD0Nthere

Post by H0LD0Nthere »

Thanks, LivreAmour217. I would like to hear your perspective on the book after you have read it.

It's true that when Mr. Sganga is on topics other than his bitter hobby horses, he writes with enthusiasm, energy and a zest for life, and comes off as quite charming. It's only when on certain subjects that we meet what we might call Bitter Sganga. I guess I can identify with that. I suppose we all have periods of our lives that, if asked to describe them, we could only do so in a bitter rant.
AA1495
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 19636">Out of the Box Awakening</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 122
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aa1495.html
Latest Review: YiaYia’s Kitchen by Brianna Koucos Midgley

Post by AA1495 »

Thank you for your insightful review. I can imagine your disappointment with the book!

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”