Official Review: The Way of The Fairy Godmother

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Tanaya
Favorite Author: George Orwell
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 89
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tanaya.html
Latest Review: Beans...Finding My Way Home by Debi Brown
fav_author_id: 1746

Official Review: The Way of The Fairy Godmother

Post by Tanaya »

[Following is the official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Way of The Fairy Godmother" by Jennifer Morse.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The Way of the Fairy Godmother is a non-fiction book by therapist Jennifer Morse.

Instead of looking at life through the lens of Cinderella, the author finally realized that it was the Fairy Godmother who held the key to achieving true happiness. Using this fairy tale, the author explains how readers should identify their strengths and pursue their dreams, just as the Fairy Godmother helped Cinderella to do. We should use positive language and focus our thoughts and actions toward the goals that bring us joy. Once we realize all of the positive skills that the Fairy Godmother taught Cinderella, we can apply those same skills to our own lives and make our fantasies come true.

The book can be summed up in three words: follow your dreams. It’s important to follow through on our dreams instead of just fantasizing about them. When we ignore what makes us happy, we’re doing ourselves a disservice. The author expands on this premise with the “nine keys to happiness.” An example is: “Focusing on harmony, health and success will bring us more harmony, health and success.” The chapters all speak to the overarching theme of the book while individual chapters also focus on one of the nine keys to happiness. The author uses examples from her own life and adds new details to the story of Cinderella to go along with her points. She also uses different terms, like the “Golden Ladder.” Each rung of the ladder symbolizes an action that we take toward realizing our dreams.

Overall, the author provides some interesting insights about a well-known story: “Cinderella does not want to be Queen in the, ‘I’m more powerful than you,’ sense. She wants sovereignty over her immediate world.” The author provides meaningful and universal advice. One example is that placing attention on negativity just makes that negativity grow. When dealing with a problem, we can still use positive language to think and speak about it. One of my favorite insights in the book is: “We each have the power and capacity to relieve our despair and regain our abilities to be at peace. Too often we let our challenging circumstances define us.” Even though she is talking about a fairy tale for most of the book, the author manages to stay grounded in reality. We all have obligations and problems that can’t simply be ignored, but our attitude can make a big difference.

I noticed many tiny errors throughout the book, most of which had to do with spelling: “indentifying” instead of “identifying”, “senor” instead of “senior”, “deserts” instead of desserts”, and so on. The phrasing of sentences was sometimes awkward, hard to follow, or just didn’t make sense: “When we have lost contact with our unique and precious self are so despondent the Fairy Godmother shows up….” At times, I had to re-read sentences to try to make sense of them, especially if commas weren’t used to separate thoughts and provide a needed pause. The use of the terms, especially the convoluted paragraph on page 20, was sometimes confusing. Other times, the terms were distracting, particularly with the overuse of “Deepest Desires.”

I rate this book 3 out of 4 stars. The writing could use some polishing so that it flows better and makes sense to the reader. Besides that, the book is filled with a lot of interesting ideas that should motivate readers to make positive changes in their thinking and actions. These ideas are meant to spark your desire to live the kind of life that would make you happy. I would recommend this book to those who want to be more positive and goal-oriented.

The Way of The Fairy Godmother
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Tanaya's review? Post a comment saying so!
Brittster
Currently Reading: Inkheart
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-brittster.html
Latest Review: "Trankarri" by Christopher Dean
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by Brittster »

The book cover and title immediately grabbed my attention. It seems like a book right up my alley. The idea of viewing the classic story through the eyes of the fairy godmother is also quite compelling. I wonder though if it has too much of a young person draw to it. I enjoy young adult books but it almost sounds too juvenile. I think I will still be adding it to my read list.
Latest Review: "Trankarri" by Christopher Dean
kimmyschemy06
Currently Reading: The Searching Three
Bookshelf Size: 694
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kimmyschemy06.html
Latest Review: Kazi Boku by M. Poyhonen

Post by kimmyschemy06 »

This sounds like a very helpful book. Too bad about the errors, though. Great review.
Littlemsstephanie
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Littlemsstephanie »

This book cover immediately grabbed my attention. It sounds amazing. I have already gone over to Amazon and grabbed a copy. Can't wait!
Shelle
Currently Reading: For the Love
Bookshelf Size: 57
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shelle.html
Latest Review: A Positive Thought a Day Keeps the Negative Away by Dr. Curtis E. Smith
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by Shelle »

Great review! This book sounds like a clever way to view a classic fairy tale and also encourage people to treat others better. It's certainty an interesting premise.
A book is a gift you can open again and again.
-Garrison Keillor
Heidi M Simone
Official Reviewer Representative
Favorite Book: Harry Potter
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 559
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-heidi-m-simone.html
Latest Review: GPS para el cielo by Jose Rafael Nunez Patino
Publishing Contest Votes: 27
fav_author_id: 0

Post by Heidi M Simone »

Wonderful review, Tanaya! I read this book before and I feel your assessment is accurate and fair. I actually gave it the same rating. :)
Heidi
Official Reviewer Representative

"There is nothing as powerful as a mother’s love, and nothing as healing as a child’s soul." – Unknown
Amheiser
Currently Reading: Freedom
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amheiser.html
Latest Review: "Beginners only dance book" by Allen g darnel

Post by Amheiser »

This is a very thorough and informative review. Your review gives a very good sense of what the book is about. It seems like this could be a very helpful book to give the readers some ideas on how to be positive and improve their lives. Even though it might seem like it is geared toward a younger audience, it sounds like everyone should be able to get some good advice on how to look at things in a way that could help them make their lives better. Great job on the review and congratulations to the author on an interesting way to present this positive advice.
Latest Review: "Beginners only dance book" by Allen g darnel
Vermont Reviews
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 4468">Scam Prevention</a>
Currently Reading: A Roadmap To Career Success
Bookshelf Size: 507
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vermont-reviews.html
Latest Review: "Book Blueprint" by Jacqui Pretty
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by Vermont Reviews »

Amheiser wrote:This is a very thorough and informative review. Your review gives a very good sense of what the book is about. It seems like this could be a very helpful book to give the readers some ideas on how to be positive and improve their lives. Even though it might seem like it is geared toward a younger audience, it sounds like everyone should be able to get some good advice on how to look at things in a way that could help them make their lives better. Great job on the review and congratulations to the author on an interesting way to present this positive advice.

Vermont reviews agrees very nice review. Well written.
Latest Review: "Book Blueprint" by Jacqui Pretty
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

This is definitely an interesting concept. You don't usually think of the Fairy Godmother as being the key to Cinderella's happiness, but I suppose that's true. I would be interested to see what the author has to say. Thanks.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”