Official Review: The Why-What-Where-and-How of Owning and...

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
katiesquilts
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: A Game of Thrones
Bookshelf Size: 649
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-katiesquilts.html
Latest Review: Anything For Love by Gracie Bond

Official Review: The Why-What-Where-and-How of Owning and...

Post by katiesquilts »

[Following is the official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Why-What-Where-and-How of Owning and Operating a Successful Business" by Joe Seric.]
Book Cover
2 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The Why-What-Where-and-How of Owning and Operating a Successful Business
by Joe Seric

I have to admit, I chose my Business minor mostly just to fill in required credits. My language major, even with Core classes, was nowhere near the 125 credits required to graduate. When I chose Joe Seric’s The Why-What-Where-and-How of Owning and Operating a Successful Business to review, I expected to get a short, 40-page summary of all the classes I spent so much time (and money!) on. Accounting, Finance, Management, Law… and Seric even put it all into laymen’s terms to make it easier to read.

Unfortunately, although the short how-to guide was easy to understand, it was not necessarily easy to read. Seric uses incorrect grammar and awkward terminology very often and although you can understand his explanations, the writing style can sometimes be distracting. Rather than just fixing a few typos, I feel like Seric would actually have to rewrite a few of his more complicated sentences for them to make sense.

Another problem I had was that, when I downloaded the book as a .pdf and opened it, the book came out as each page showing two full pages. I had to zoom in and scroll sideways after turning each page, and that also made the book hard to read. It almost looks as if the author took screenshots of the page as he was working on in his publishing software and put those together in a .pdf file. I would have definitely preferred separate, clean pages without the grey, Microsoft Word-looking borders around them.

Looking past the format and grammatical errors, I realized Seric’s advice was something that I had never come across in my classes. For example, although we often talked about competition in my classes, in the “Where” section of his book Seric talked about real life competition that you could come across in even the tiniest of towns, and how to avoid it. Also, the Appendix at the back of the book had great advice for those looking to purchase an existing business. To me the Appendix was the most informative part of the entire guide, filled with dos and don’ts that I personally never realized would need to be considered when taking over an existing business.

Overall, I would give this book 2 out of 4 stars. Unfortunately, although the book was written in more simplistic terms, it does not teach you how to write invoices or keep track of account receivables, so I would definitely recommend this to someone who already has a Business background. It most definitely focuses on bigger issues of setting up and maintaining a business rather than everyday transactions and necessary knowledge. Also, because the Appendix at the back was so useful, I would recommend this to people wishing to purchase an existing business, because it may have some valuable advice that could save you from a whole lot of trouble later on.

The Why-What-Where-and-How of Owning and Operating a Successful Business
View: on Bookshelves

Like katiesquilts's review? Post a comment saying so!
Tanaya
Favorite Author: George Orwell
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 89
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tanaya.html
Latest Review: Beans...Finding My Way Home by Debi Brown
fav_author_id: 1746

Post by Tanaya »

Interesting review. I'm not the target audience, but it does seem to contain useful information for those who need it.
kimmyschemy06
Currently Reading: The Searching Three
Bookshelf Size: 694
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kimmyschemy06.html
Latest Review: Kazi Boku by M. Poyhonen

Post by kimmyschemy06 »

Sounds like a helpful book despite the flaws. Nice review!
j p gilbert
Favorite Author: Jeffrey Archer
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-j-p-gilbert.html
Latest Review: "An ABC of Prostate Cancer in 2015" by Alan G Lawrenson
fav_author_id: 4949

Post by j p gilbert »

When a book a) Doesn't meet your expectations and b) Difficult to read, your review needs to be balanced and fair to the piece. You have found that balance in this review. Nice job.
Some say our future is written, mine must be in invisible ink.
Latest Review: "An ABC of Prostate Cancer in 2015" by Alan G Lawrenson
katiesquilts

Post by katiesquilts »

Thanks for the positive comments, everyone!
anonanemone
Favorite Author: So many...
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 24">Tinder Stricken</a>
Currently Reading: Outland Exile
Bookshelf Size: 901
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anonanemone.html
Latest Review: "The Shark in the Park" by Mark Watson
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by anonanemone »

You did a great job on this review. It sounds like this book has a lot of potential. I like that it covers issues that are not addressed during common business courses.
The world lives between those who say it cannot be done and those who say that it can. And in my experience, those who say that it can be done are usually telling the truth. --Lord Vetinari (Discworld, Raising Steam)
Latest Review: "The Shark in the Park" by Mark Watson
rssllue
Favorite Author: Ted Dekker
Favorite Book: The Bible
Currently Reading: A Year with C. S. Lewis
Bookshelf Size: 602
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rssllue.html
Latest Review: My Personal Desert Storm by Marcus Johnson
fav_author_id: 2881

Post by rssllue »

Nice review! It sounds like some good information in the book. Hopefully the author revises the book into a more understandable format for future readers to get the full potential out of his thoughts.
~ occupare fati suffocavit

I will both lay me down in peace, and sleep: for Thou, LORD, only makest me dwell in safety. ~ Psalms 4:8
chytach18-
Favorite Author: John Fowles
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 3">Strange Case of Dr Jekill and Mr Hyde</a>
Currently Reading: Dark Corners
Bookshelf Size: 98
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chytach18.html
Latest Review: "Smiling Exercises, and Other Stories" by Dan Malakin
fav_author_id: 2947

Post by chytach18- »

Very interesting review. The title of the book is too long, to my liking.
Latest Review: "Smiling Exercises, and Other Stories" by Dan Malakin
bookowlie
Special Discussion Leader
Favorite Book: The Lost Continent
Currently Reading: The Night She Went Missing
Bookshelf Size: 442
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookowlie.html
Latest Review: To Paint A Murder by E. J. Gandolfo

Post by bookowlie »

I enjoyed reading your review. I agree with Chytach that the title is too long. I think a shorter, catchy title would be better, and the long title could be used as a subtitle.
"The best way out is always through" - Robert Frost
gali
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: Pride and Prejudice in Space
Bookshelf Size: 2288
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
Publishing Contest Votes: 0
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by gali »

Nice review! I also agree about the length of the title.
A retired Admin/Mod

Pronouns: She/Her

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
katiesquilts

Post by katiesquilts »

It seems almost everyone has issues with the title, haha... But at least you know exactly what you'll be getting before you start reading! :lol:

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”