Official Review: Broken Places by Rachel Thompson

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Tanaya
Favorite Author: George Orwell
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 89
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tanaya.html
Latest Review: Beans...Finding My Way Home by Debi Brown
fav_author_id: 1746

Official Review: Broken Places by Rachel Thompson

Post by Tanaya »

[Following is the official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Broken Places" by Rachel Thompson.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Broken Places: A Memoir of Abuse is a book of essays, poems and prose by Rachel Thompson. The book centers on the author’s experience of childhood sexual abuse. There is a trigger warning at the beginning of the book. Discretion is advised.

The book tells the true story of an eleven-year-old girl who was molested by her neighbor. He was a middle-aged military father who abused several children and threatened to hurt her family if she told anyone. Forty years later, that young, scared girl is a fifty-year-old mother of two who is still strongly affected by her dark past. She talks about her dealings with PTSD, depression, carrying the burden of shame, and so much more. Her abuser may be dead, but his presence in her life lingers in the form of nightmares, flashbacks, and feelings that won’t just go away.

The book is fittingly split into three sections: Mind, Body, and Soul. The essays and poems work well together. The essays help to provide context for the emotions conveyed in the poems, which are mostly about love, healing, and pain. In general, she introduces a piece of her story and provides more details and insights about it as the book progresses. It’s a short and quick read filled with powerful messages as she examines the notion of moving on from a very realistic point of view. The essays are often just as poetic as the poems, with lines like: “The bad thing takes your brain hostage, fills it with the detritus of denial, becomes dead leaves waiting for the deep scratch of the rake.” Of course, the poems are just as moving: “He’s not here anymore …Can a ghost of air and dust hold me now?” The metaphors are well utilized. Her words throughout the book strongly resonate.

There are many great aspects of this book that I could list. One thing that I found to be really outstanding is that she forgave her parents, even though they didn’t handle the news of her abuse in the most effective manner. They pretty much swept it under the rug, believing that she was fine and didn’t need help. I also really appreciated that the author places emphasis on being a survivor. The book isn’t about her asking for pity or simply complaining. It’s about what happened to her, the problems that stemmed from it, how she’s managed to push through, and how she’s still affected by it. While she certainly voices her frustrations, like being told to forgive her abuser, these frustrations are all very relatable and necessary to talk about. The book is deeply personal, and the author discusses her emotions in a very rational, honest, and compelling way.

I rate this book 4 out of 4 stars. It was very inspiring and splendidly written. I would recommend it foremost to survivors of sexual abuse as well as families and friends who want to further their understanding of what their loved one has gone through and is still going through.

Broken Places
View: on Bookshelves

Like Tanaya's review? Post a comment saying so!
delainechristine15
Currently Reading: Telepathy
Bookshelf Size: 10

Post by delainechristine15 »

Thank you Tanaya, this review was very well written and I am intrigued by the story. I like the idea of the book being split in three sections; Mind, Body, and Soul. As one who has loved ones who are affected by PTSD, I can honestly say that all three are affected when one suffers from this. This book may well wind up on my to read list.
Tanaya
Currently Reading:

Post by Tanaya »

Thanks for your comment. The book was really well done and I think a lot of people would be able to relate to it.
LivreAmour217
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Too many to count
Favorite Book: Ditto
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 294
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-livreamour217.html
Latest Review: Island Games by Caleb J. Boyer

Post by LivreAmour217 »

Once again, you've given us another lovely review! I have much respect and admiration for the author for her resolve and courage. I'll have to add this one to my reading list!
"Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one." - Albert Einstein
Tanaya
Currently Reading:

Post by Tanaya »

Thanks so much! I too commend the author for sharing her story.
quadbrookie
Favorite Author: More than one
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-quadbrookie.html
Latest Review: "Darker" by Michael Stephenson
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by quadbrookie »

Hats off to you! I also suffer from PTSD from a car wreck that left me a quadriplegic. This is going to go on my to-read list. I hope to share my story one day also.
Latest Review: "Darker" by Michael Stephenson
Cee-Jay Aurinko
Favorite Author: Stephen King
Favorite Book: The Dark Tower 1 - The Gunslinger
Bookshelf Size: 57
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cee-jay-aurinko.html
Latest Review: "Higgins Hotel" by Carla Coffman
fav_author_id: 2376

Post by Cee-Jay Aurinko »

The subject matter in this book is one that is touched upon by many, but still each one of these books are always a good thing to look at for people who knows about someone, or might have experience with sexual abuse themselves to look at, or better yet, to write. Of course, to the author, I'm sorry that she had to go through something like this. Hopefully, people can take something from this book that will themselves or someone else, so congrats to the author for turning something bad into something helpful.
"Might as well drink the ocean with a spoon as argue with a lover." -- The Dark Tower 2, Stephen King
Latest Review: "Higgins Hotel" by Carla Coffman
Tanaya
Currently Reading:

Post by Tanaya »

@quadbrookie I'm sorry to hear what happened to you but it'd be so great for you to share your story! It would be very inspiring. :)

And Leon, very well put. I totally agree.
Malik_Diamond
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... =2961">The Book Thief</a>
Currently Reading: The Burning
Bookshelf Size: 9

Post by Malik_Diamond »

To begin with the title of the book is intriguing, and your review is great! This book is going on my To Read Shelf!
I really like how you went in depth. I can't wait to read it.!
Tanaya
Currently Reading:

Post by Tanaya »

I hope you enjoy it as much as I did then. It's dark stuff but the author did a great, inspiring job with it.
MgNell
Currently Reading: The Blackthorn Key
Bookshelf Size: 54
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mgnell.html
Latest Review: "Lakeman" by Dhruv Behl

Post by MgNell »

Congratulations for the review. It is realy good. This book is not my type, but from what you wrote i find it interesting. Honestly I'm little scared to read this kind of storys although i'm 24. :techie-studyinggray:
Latest Review: "Lakeman" by Dhruv Behl
Tanaya
Currently Reading:

Post by Tanaya »

I can understand that. It's not like it's a ghost story; it's real life horror that unfortunately many people have had to suffer through.

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”