Review: Seriously I'm Kidding by Ellen DeGeneres

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Mimi Jazman
Currently Reading: The Last Ever After (The School for Good and Evil)
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mimi-jazman.html

Review: Seriously I'm Kidding by Ellen DeGeneres

Post by Mimi Jazman »

My Rating: 5 out of 5

I decided to download Ellen's book out of no reason. I have no idea why I downloaded it. But by the time I finished The Bad Beginning, I know I need something very light, thus come this book.

I have no regret. Really.

This book is narrated by Ellen herself and you know how good Ellen is. The difference between the audiobook and the physical book is that, you can listen to all the sounds Ellen made in the audiobook version. Like all the blup blup and smurf smurf. With the real book, you might probably won't have the chance to know exactly the sound she made. It's weird but it's fun at the same time.

I listened to this audiobook during my study week before my final exam. Thanks to Ellen, she made me feel a bit more productive and happier during those days. I am grateful of my choice.

You will be laughing a lot throughout the whole book and feel real good. And, you might even try to tell the joke you listen to other people as well. As for me, it doesn't turn out as good as Ellen's, but, hey, it's still funny to me, okay?

Ellen makes sense out of the things we thought right all these while. Like, buying a lot of stuffs and keeping most of them, although we are not using them seem like a bad idea to Ellen. Which is something that I can totally agree with.

Ellen made a lot of jokes about herself. About what people think of her and stuffs but in the most positive way ever. She never says that those people are horrible, she never pointed out anything wrong with anyone because at the end, to Ellen, happiness is all about you, yourself. No one is responsible for your happiness more than yourself. And, of course, you know she's right.

She talks about a lot of other things as well. Like, the environment, insecurities, personality, cleanliness and a lot of metaphors. But, all that leads to one thing which is BEING KIND. No matter what we do or what people think of us, the most important thing is, we must be kind.

It's a must.

Just a warning here. So, after reading/listening to her book, you might be addicted to her voice and you will go on YouTube and search her channel and watch her talk show every single day. Like me. That's what happened to me so I thought I might give you a warning before hand.

If you are looking something to motivate you and make you feel less burdened, get this book. You will be blown away by the beauty and the happiness it can give you. I know it might not change your life forever, but hey, a little happiness even just for a few seconds always matter. So, why not?

Let's be happy and think a bit more positive than before.
iamtai
Currently Reading: Elyon
Bookshelf Size: 1101
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-iamtai.html
Latest Review: "Drive East Until You Hit An Ocean" by J. Walter Swartz & Richard Allen Waite

Post by iamtai »

I have loved Ellen since the beginning when she first rose a stink by coming out as a lesbian. Every time I watch her show I cry either from laughter or second-hand gratitude are her goodness. When I read Seriously, I'm Kidding, I wasn't even surprised by how Ellen it really was. You now how the character of some authors can be washed away when they write a book? I was SO glad that it wasn't that way with Ellen.

She just released another book, sooooo ADDING THAT TO MY LIST.
Latest Review: "Drive East Until You Hit An Ocean" by J. Walter Swartz & Richard Allen Waite
SPReader16
Bookshelf Size: 195
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-spreader16.html

Post by SPReader16 »

I read Seriously I'm Kidding in one afternoon. It is really hard to put down. Ellen's voice definitely comes through, but there were times where the comedy felt a little forced. I am interested to know if I would feel the same way listening to the book on tape. I am sure certain parts would be more effective heard instead of read. However, I am not sure how the book on tape handles the chapter called “For the Children – Part I” where Ellen includes four pages of images that act as a coloring book.
I bought the book because I love watching Ellen's show and appreciate her infectious positive attitude. Parts of the narrative really did make me burst out laughing. My favorite chapter was "Personally Speaking" and her comments on mammograms. This book is one I am going to recommend to many of my friends and family and is a great gift for anyone who loves Ellen, reading, or just needs a good laugh. I am interested in reading some of her other books and expect that Seriously...I'm Kidding will become a book that I will read over and over again.
ashnance
Currently Reading: The Secret History
Bookshelf Size: 334
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ashnance.html

Post by ashnance »

I just LOVE Ellen - so I'll have to add this book to my list! Literally everything she does is amazing and she is hysterical.
AnitaOlsen
Currently Reading: Star Trek Federation
Bookshelf Size: 39
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anitaolsen.html

Post by AnitaOlsen »

Cool, I did not know that she had written any book. I knew that her wife got at least one book published thought. I am SO going to read her book, I have seen her shows and her funny sitcom when she was younger! :D
Cjgarland89
Currently Reading: Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire
Bookshelf Size: 131
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cjgarland89.html
Latest Review: Toni the Superhero by R.D. Base
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by Cjgarland89 »

I really wanted to check this out after seeing it in my suggested options on Amazon, thanks for the info. I will be looking into it this evening!
MrsCatInTheHat
Favorite Book: Cry the Beloved Country
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 376
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mrscatinthehat.html
Latest Review: Marc Marci by Larry G. Goldsmith
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
Publishing Contest Votes: 0

Post by MrsCatInTheHat »

Ellen is one of my favorite comedians. She can really make one laugh at life in general, in a good way. I'll have to check this book out, sounds like the perfect thing on a gloomy day.
Life without a good book is something MrsCatInTheHat cannot imagine.
DATo
Previous Member of the Month
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by DATo »

Ellen's jokes as well as her delivery are absolutely perfect. She is one of my all time favorite comedians.

You have to stay in shape. My grandmother - she started walking five miles a day when she was 60. She's 97 today and we don't know where the hell she is. - Ellen DeGeneres
“I just got out of the hospital. I was in a speed reading accident. I hit a book mark and flew across the room.”
― Steven Wright
GSRobinson5718
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by GSRobinson5718 »

I can't believe I missed this book! It's on my "to read" list, now. Ellen is a brave woman and I know she had a hard time when she first came out.

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”