Official Review: Pleasant Valley Lost by Joseph J. Swope

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
kimmyschemy06
Currently Reading: The Searching Three
Bookshelf Size: 694
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kimmyschemy06.html
Latest Review: Kazi Boku by M. Poyhonen

Official Review: Pleasant Valley Lost by Joseph J. Swope

Post by kimmyschemy06 »

[Following is the official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Pleasant Valley Lost" by Joseph J. Swope.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Ever since he was born, author Joseph J. Swope had lived in a dairy farm in Pleasant Valley, Pennsylvania until he was uprooted and forced out of his childhood home by the Blue Marsh Dam when he was 13 years old. Pleasant Valley Lost is the story of how a centuries-old farming community was obliterated to construct a dam that does not serve its purpose as a flood control system.

The book started in the present day and flashed back in time when Joseph, nicknamed Joey, was living the life of a typical 10-year old farm boy. With him in their dairy farm was his father Clarence, mother Peggy, younger brother Ronnie, hired hand Adam, pet dog Joe and pet donkey Hank.

It began in the spring of 1968 then progressed chronologically as the family worked together nurturing their farm all the while growing apprehensive about the future destruction of their home and those of their relatives and friends. It has been several years since the US Army Corps of Engineers proposed to flood Pleasant Valley and the village of Blue Marsh and build a dam to provide the region with water supply. Still, the family labored, hoping that the dreaded moment will not come, ever. However, it did, and the community, including Joey and his family, moved somewhere else and left behind not only their homes and farms but also their history and legacy.

Told in the first person, the story was developed as the author narrated his childhood at the farm where he and his brother performed tasks of ordinary farm boys. In a casual and conversational tone, he described how life was in the farm where days were spent milking cows, feeding chickens and pigs, collecting eggs and cleaning up. Furthermore, the author cleverly and interestingly explained some activities that are performed mainly in dairy farms like baling hay, breeding cows, castrating bulls and butchering steers,

With obvious pride, the author showed the close-knit relationships among his immediate and extended family. He told of numerous times they gathered together to celebrate special occasions like Easter, July 4th, Thanksgiving, Christmas and New Year. Also highlighted in the story was the quality time Clarence and Peggy Swope spent with their children like taking the boys to the Reading Air Show, Bern Church Strawberry Festival, Atlantic City and Christmas Village, besides the occasional ice cream treats, school shopping and annual baseball banquet.

I can say the author successfully presented vivid descriptions of the characters as well as the places. He was able to take the readers back in time when children stay outdoors to play baseball, ride bikes and fly kites, while telephones had party lines and technology took the form of television set where families watch news, soap operas and baseball games.

All in all, this is a lovable and memorable book. It is about love and antipathy, youth and age, joy and sorrow, birth and death, construction and destruction. It reminds me of home, family and childhood. This is one book I will always cherish in my heart.

However, there are three things that made me give this book the rate of 3 out of 4 stars. First, the absence of translation of Pennsylvania Dutch, which I understand has German origin. It has been used in the story a few times but without any clarification of what was said. It may have been irrelevant but I would have liked to know. Second, there were some repetitions and redundancy which at first I was able to ignore but eventually bothered me. Finally, almost half of the 523-page book was about baseball. Though I do not take it against the author, it made some parts of the book uninteresting for a non-sports fan like myself. Though I tried my hardest to appreciate the baseball parts, the only thing I remembered was Steve Carlton taking the Philadelphia Phillies to the World Series.

I, therefore, recommend this book to readers who appreciate rural living, family bonding, old traditions and baseball. A warning though, this may not be a book that will make you cry, it will, however, make your heart bleed in silence.

Pleasant Valley Lost
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon | on Smashwords

Like kimmyschemy06's review? Post a comment saying so!
gali
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: Pride and Prejudice in Space
Bookshelf Size: 2288
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
Publishing Contest Votes: 0
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by gali »

Great review! The book isn't for me, but I'm glad you enjoyed it. :)
A retired Admin/Mod

Pronouns: She/Her

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
kimmyschemy06

Post by kimmyschemy06 »

gali wrote:Great review! The book isn't for me, but I'm glad you enjoyed it. :)
Thank you! Yes, I did. I hope others will, too.
Valerie
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Valerie »

I like your review, kimmy.
kimmyschemy06

Post by kimmyschemy06 »

Valerie wrote:I like your review, kimmy.
Thank you!
anonanemone
Favorite Author: So many...
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 24">Tinder Stricken</a>
Currently Reading: Outland Exile
Bookshelf Size: 901
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anonanemone.html
Latest Review: "The Shark in the Park" by Mark Watson
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by anonanemone »

Wonderful job on the review! Very detailed. I wouldn't have expected half the book to be about baseball though :)
The world lives between those who say it cannot be done and those who say that it can. And in my experience, those who say that it can be done are usually telling the truth. --Lord Vetinari (Discworld, Raising Steam)
Latest Review: "The Shark in the Park" by Mark Watson
GAVanDruff1
Currently Reading: make me
Bookshelf Size: 3
Reading Device: B00BWYQ9YE

Post by GAVanDruff1 »

This is a well-thought out review. Nicely done. Not far from my home is a rural town underwater so we all can pontoon and jet ski. The administration building honors the village with pictures and stories and newspaper bits. The quiet agony on the faces of the farmers and shopkeepers is heart-rendering and I've always wondered what went on inside those houses during that time. I will skip the baseball parts and look forward to reading Mr. Swopes' account.
kimmyschemy06

Post by kimmyschemy06 »

anonanemone wrote:Wonderful job on the review! Very detailed. I wouldn't have expected half the book to be about baseball though :)
Thank you! Me either :) But though I didn't share the author's enthusiasm about baseball I enjoyed the book so much

-- 22 Nov 2015, 15:32 --
GAVanDruff1 wrote:This is a well-thought out review. Nicely done. Not far from my home is a rural town underwater so we all can pontoon and jet ski. The administration building honors the village with pictures and stories and newspaper bits. The quiet agony on the faces of the farmers and shopkeepers is heart-rendering and I've always wondered what went on inside those houses during that time. I will skip the baseball parts and look forward to reading Mr. Swopes' account.
Thank you! The very idea of leaving everything that you hold dear is very sad and for it to be under water never to been as they were before is, I think, even more so.
Levi
Favorite Author: S. Morgenstern ha ha
Favorite Book: Crik
Currently Reading: Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince
Bookshelf Size: 542
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-levi.html
Latest Review: "The Six and the Gardeners of Ialana" by Katlynn Brooke
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Levi »

This sounds like an interesting account. I like that you could get past the baseball part of the book, I try to overlook those things when I'm reading a book too, unless it's poorly done. Good job, @kimmyschemy06
"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self." —Ernest Hemingway
Latest Review: "The Six and the Gardeners of Ialana" by Katlynn Brooke
kimmyschemy06

Post by kimmyschemy06 »

Escapeartist wrote:This sounds like an interesting account. I like that you could get past the baseball part of the book, I try to overlook those things when I'm reading a book too, unless it's poorly done. Good job, @kimmyschemy06
Thank you! It is a great book. If I happened to be a baseball fan I would have loved it more.
LivreAmour217
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Too many to count
Favorite Book: Ditto
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 294
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-livreamour217.html
Latest Review: Island Games by Caleb J. Boyer

Post by LivreAmour217 »

This was a lovely review! I might have to add this one to my reading list. I'm not into sports, either, but the overall story sounds interesting enough for me to give it a chance.
"Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one." - Albert Einstein
bookowlie
Special Discussion Leader
Favorite Book: The Lost Continent
Currently Reading: The Night She Went Missing
Bookshelf Size: 442
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookowlie.html
Latest Review: To Paint A Murder by E. J. Gandolfo

Post by bookowlie »

Nice, balanced review. You made a good point about the absence of a translation or glossary of Pennsylvania Dutch words. It's annoying to have to stop and google words if you want to know the meaning.
"The best way out is always through" - Robert Frost
kimmyschemy06

Post by kimmyschemy06 »

LivreAmour217 wrote:This was a lovely review! I might have to add this one to my reading list. I'm not into sports, either, but the overall story sounds interesting enough for me to give it a chance.
Thank you! It is an interesting book.

-- 29 Nov 2015, 10:12 --
bookowlie wrote:Nice, balanced review. You made a good point about the absence of a translation or glossary of Pennsylvania Dutch words. It's annoying to have to stop and google words if you want to know the meaning.
Thank you! I would have liked it more if I understood everything on the book :)
Tanaya
Favorite Author: George Orwell
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 89
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tanaya.html
Latest Review: Beans...Finding My Way Home by Debi Brown
fav_author_id: 1746

Post by Tanaya »

I like how you clearly stated why you gave it the rating that you did. I'm not a fan of baseball either, so this probably isn't the book for me. But it does sound like a compelling read overall.
kimmyschemy06

Post by kimmyschemy06 »

Tanaya wrote:I like how you clearly stated why you gave it the rating that you did. I'm not a fan of baseball either, so this probably isn't the book for me. But it does sound like a compelling read overall.
Thank you! It was a great read nonetheless :)

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”