Official Review: Four in a Fury by Nick Goldwater

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
ALynnPowers
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 417
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alynnpowers.html
Latest Review: Sarah's Dream by Eileen Bird
Reading Device: B0051QVF7A
Publishing Contest Votes: 13

Official Review: Four in a Fury by Nick Goldwater

Post by ALynnPowers »

[Following is the official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Four in a Fury" by Nick Goldwater.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Four in a Fury by Nick Goldwater is the humorous true account of four young lads from New Zealand and their once-in-a-lifetime experience driving across the United States on a ten-week road trip. Back in 1994, before there were smart phones and GPS systems, Nick, Adam, Andy, and Mutt begin their journey in California and set out to drive from ocean to ocean. They purchase a used Fury, a former police car, and this (non air-conditioned) car becomes the foundation for making their trip happen. They travel up the Pacific Coast and back down again, cross the desert and head into Texas, continue east until they hit a couple of major cities (including New Orleans, Memphis, and Chicago) before they eventually cross the Appalachian mountains and arrive at the Atlantic, and finally conclude their trip in New York City.

The destination isn’t the point. The journey is the whole purpose, and along the way, the four guys experience many moments they are not likely to forget, aside from taking in the scenery and binge drinking on college campuses. They perfect the art of sneaking into and out of camp sites to avoid paying the camping fees, have a couple of encounters with the police, sleep in some of the most horrible (and smelly) conditions, meet some friends along the way, and go for long periods of time without bathing.

I will be the first to admit that the above summary does not do this book justice. This story is way more interesting than I can make it sound, and Nick’s recollection of the events and the way he describes certain scenes is, to put it quite bluntly, freaking hilarious. The messes that these four guys get into (eating contests, breaking wind contests, streaking, shooting guns, etc.) are typical of immature, early twenty-somethings, but add on that they are off in a foreign land without supervision, and it just becomes ten times funnier. Seeing America through the eyes of these New Zealanders is entertaining in itself. That’s not even mentioning the cover of the book: an actual photograph of the four guys in their tighty-whities. Additional photographs are included before each chapter.

It has personally been a dream of mine to take a road trip across the US, and this book just makes it sound even more appealing (though I would probably cop out and pay for shady motels rather than sleep in a cheap, crowded tent with three other people). I could really get a good sense of the different atmospheres that America has to offer, and I found myself saying things like, “Ah! I really want to do this!” Well, when I wasn’t giggling at the shenanigans the boys had gotten themselves into during their current leg of the trip, that is.

If you are from the US, no matter the specific location, you can probably relate to some part of this book. I found myself giggling hardest at the parts near my own hometown (the “proper” spelling of N’Awlins and the trip to Graceland with leisure suits were my personal favorites) and then taking notes with awe and fascination as I read about parts of the country I have never before visited. Even if you are not from the US, you can still easily fall into this latter category for the book in its entirety and experience all of the country the same way that these four did.

I can easily say that I really enjoyed reading this book, and I give it a rating of 4 out of 4 stars. The ending of the book and the last couple of weeks of the trip seemed a bit rushed and not as detailed as the beginning of the trip. That’s really my only criticism, but it doesn’t change my overall feeling about the story. It seemed to match the pace of the trip and the mood of the guys as the trip progressed. I would definitely recommend this book to those who enjoy memoirs and want to experience a trip across America.

Four in a Fury
View: on Bookshelves

Like ALynnPowers's review? Post a comment saying so!
zaynab_m
Favorite Author: J. K. Rowling
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 0734">Anne of Green Gables</a>
Currently Reading: Rilla of Ingleside
Bookshelf Size: 105
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-zaynab-m.html
Latest Review: "Countdown the reckoning" by Ashley Michael

Post by zaynab_m »

Nice review! I hope I can manage to get the book and read it...
I have loved the stars too fondly to be fearful of the night.
Latest Review: "Countdown the reckoning" by Ashley Michael
bookowlie
Special Discussion Leader
Favorite Book: The Lost Continent
Currently Reading: The Night She Went Missing
Bookshelf Size: 442
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookowlie.html
Latest Review: To Paint A Murder by E. J. Gandolfo

Post by bookowlie »

Great review! I love true accounts of travel adventures. Been there, done that....I love it when I am along for the ride and I love reading books about them. :) Adding this book to my long reading list.
"The best way out is always through" - Robert Frost
ALynnPowers
Currently Reading:

Post by ALynnPowers »

There was so much more I wanted to include in the review, about their hilarious adventures, but I thought short and sweet would be better. Is this still short? No clue. Oh well. Too late now.

And thanks for the comments!
I'm off to go look at car rental prices to plan my next trip to the states! :D
PashaRu
Currently Reading: Vicars of Christ - The Dark Side of the Papacy
Bookshelf Size: 191
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-pasharu.html
Latest Review: "Damn Females on the Lawn" by Rachel Hurd

Post by PashaRu »

This sounds like an interesting book, on two counts: 1) seeing the US through the eyes of people who have never been there before, and 2) the cross-country drive. I have done a lot of driving around the US, but never "cross country" from east to west or vice-versa. It's something I've always wanted to do. Maybe we can split the car rental cost. ;) Sounds like a fun book.
[Insert quote here. Read. Raise an eyebrow. Be mildly amused. Rinse & repeat.]
Latest Review: "Damn Females on the Lawn" by Rachel Hurd
Cee-Jay Aurinko
Favorite Author: Stephen King
Favorite Book: The Dark Tower 1 - The Gunslinger
Bookshelf Size: 57
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cee-jay-aurinko.html
Latest Review: "Higgins Hotel" by Carla Coffman
fav_author_id: 2376

Post by Cee-Jay Aurinko »

I definitely want to read this. Sounds like a book full of comedy. A wonderful review AlynnPowers!
"Might as well drink the ocean with a spoon as argue with a lover." -- The Dark Tower 2, Stephen King
Latest Review: "Higgins Hotel" by Carla Coffman
Rachaelamb1
Favorite Author: CS Lewis
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... onwitch</a>
Currently Reading: Falling Star
Bookshelf Size: 128
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rachaelamb1.html
Latest Review: "Dragon Born" by Ela Lourenco

Post by Rachaelamb1 »

Oh this sounds fun! I bet they enjoyed the Texas heat in their non-airconditioned car! I survived 2 years with no a/c in my car...it was rough though.
I would love to read this book simply for seeing an outsider's opinion of America. Thank you for the terrific review!
Latest Review: "Dragon Born" by Ela Lourenco
ALynnPowers
Currently Reading:

Post by ALynnPowers »

Rachaelamb1 wrote:Oh this sounds fun! I bet they enjoyed the Texas heat in their non-airconditioned car! I survived 2 years with no a/c in my car...it was rough though.
I would love to read this book simply for seeing an outsider's opinion of America. Thank you for the terrific review!
The language used to describe the experience of four hardly post-pubescent males in a non-AC'ed car (with leather seats, no less) was quite hilarious.
bluemel4
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Anne Bishop
Currently Reading: The Dark Tower, Books 1-3
Bookshelf Size: 466
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bluemel4.html
Latest Review: "Severed Threads" by Kaylin McFarren
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
fav_author_id: 6086

Post by bluemel4 »

Fantastic review. This book sounds like a wonderful setting for a coming of age tale. Adding it to my to-read list.
"Life is a journey, not a destination" --Ralph Waldo Emerson
Latest Review: "Severed Threads" by Kaylin McFarren
anonanemone
Favorite Author: So many...
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 24">Tinder Stricken</a>
Currently Reading: Outland Exile
Bookshelf Size: 901
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anonanemone.html
Latest Review: "The Shark in the Park" by Mark Watson
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by anonanemone »

This book sounds crazy and hilarious. I am interested to know how America looks from a different point of view :) I also wonder what would make 4 people want to come to America from New Zealand and road trip across the whole country. That sounds like a story in itself. Is it a LOTR tourist counter reaction to achieve some sort of balance? :lol: Thank you for this wonderful review!
The world lives between those who say it cannot be done and those who say that it can. And in my experience, those who say that it can be done are usually telling the truth. --Lord Vetinari (Discworld, Raising Steam)
Latest Review: "The Shark in the Park" by Mark Watson

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”