Official Review: Notes from a Very Small island

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
bookowlie
Special Discussion Leader
Favorite Book: The Lost Continent
Currently Reading: The Night She Went Missing
Bookshelf Size: 442
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookowlie.html
Latest Review: To Paint A Murder by E. J. Gandolfo

Official Review: Notes from a Very Small island

Post by bookowlie »

[Following is the official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Notes from a Very Small island" by Anthony Stancomb.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Notes from a Very Small Island by Anthony Stancomb is a memoir-style non-fiction book. It is a sequel to the author’s book about moving with his wife to Vis, a remote island off the coast of Croatia. They left their jobs and adult children in England two years earlier for a slower-paced lifestyle. Stancomb’s wife Ivana is of Croatian descent, although she was raised in Argentina.

The book focuses on the middle-aged man’s observations about Croatian culture and living on a remote island. Historical and political information is related by the locals. There is also speculation about what the future will hold since Croatia wants to join the European Union (EU). The author narrates in the first person, but is never mentioned by name. He becomes friends with Dario, a radio broadcaster, and Dario’s broadcasts are often mentioned as a way of showcasing the island’s lifestyle and Croatian politics.

The story switches between the present and two years prior when they first moved to the island. The transition between time periods is sometimes abrupt and I would become confused about whether certain passages were flashbacks or present day. After a while, the time period settles into the present.

The author’s observations provide a vivid picture of life on Vis. It’s always interesting to read about a place, from a newcomer’s perspective. Through lively discussions with various townspeople, there is fascinating information provided about Croatia’s history, culture, and political changes. The author continually receives a casual course in history and culture from Zoran, the owner of a local bar. Also, an old-timer, Marinko, knows everything about every family on the island and is a treasure trove of historical facts.

There are many humorous, insightful comments about the island’s colorful townspeople and culture. There is an interesting, offbeat discussion about the mood-changing winds and impact of the wind’s direction on behavior. No one goes to work if they have the slightest illness or injury, as if a light cold might turn into pneumonia. If someone has even a minor ailment, they are monitored closely and then diagnosed with something major, such as cancer, if the symptoms don’t disappear after a week. The sections about the couple’s housekeeper Karmela are hilarious. She is an eccentric person who appears to rule the roost with her overbearing manner. Karmela aggressively unites with Ivana on every issue and the author’s home life is often a losing battle with the two women against him.

The pacing is a bit uneven. Some parts of the story move along quickly while other passages about Croatian history and the political climate are long-winded. It would have been helpful if the author had included a timeline of Croatia’s major historical events and political changes as the references have no context as to time period. It is not like references to the U.S. Civil War or WWII where most people are familiar with the time frame being discussed. The book is jam-packed with interesting tidbits about the local culture, although I found my mind wandering at times. I think the book would have consistently kept my interest with a more cohesive feel. The sections on his home life, such as his friends and adult children’s visits, often splinter the story off on tangents.

The author has a smooth, chatty writing style. However, an extra round of good editing was needed here. There are numerous errors, including words without a space in between, incorrect words which I assume are typos, and missing words.

I rate this book 3 out of 4 stars. It is a witty and informative story about a remote island most people have never even heard of. Readers who enjoy books about other cultures and acclimating to life in another country will find much to like here. While the story is not always cohesive, it is still a worthwhile read. Besides, the author used one of my favorite, underused words, “inanely,” in an even more perfect phrase, “I grinned inanely around at everyone.” That put an inane smile on my face while reading.

Notes from a Very Small island
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like bookowlie's review? Post a comment saying so!
"The best way out is always through" - Robert Frost
gali
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: Pride and Prejudice in Space
Bookshelf Size: 2288
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
Publishing Contest Votes: 0
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by gali »

Excellent review which I enjoyed reading. I am glad you enjoyed the book, and that you found it a worthwhile read. :)
A retired Admin/Mod

Pronouns: She/Her

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
bookowlie

Post by bookowlie »

Thanks Gali. This is one of those books that got better and better as it moved along. By the end, I wanted to live there!
Cee-Jay Aurinko
Favorite Author: Stephen King
Favorite Book: The Dark Tower 1 - The Gunslinger
Bookshelf Size: 57
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cee-jay-aurinko.html
Latest Review: "Higgins Hotel" by Carla Coffman
fav_author_id: 2376

Post by Cee-Jay Aurinko »

And I inanely say that I enjoyed this review, bookowlie. What's the deal with the illnesses?
"Might as well drink the ocean with a spoon as argue with a lover." -- The Dark Tower 2, Stephen King
bookowlie

Post by bookowlie »

Thanks Leon for your not-so-inane comment. :lol: :lol: The way the locals responded to minor ailments is one of those weird cultural things. The fact that they would stay home from work for the most minor reasons is surprising. Even more astounding is the constant monitoring of a minor ailment for a week and then diagnosing cancer, serious kidney problems, or other major findings. Keep in mind there isn't even a hospital on the island so these diagnoses were coming from a small town clinic.
Cee-Jay Aurinko

OMG Bookowlie, I just looked up the definition of "inane". Pls don't take my comment the wrong way. (^_-)
"Might as well drink the ocean with a spoon as argue with a lover." -- The Dark Tower 2, Stephen King
zaynab_m
Favorite Author: J. K. Rowling
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 0734">Anne of Green Gables</a>
Currently Reading: Rilla of Ingleside
Bookshelf Size: 105
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-zaynab-m.html
Latest Review: "Countdown the reckoning" by Ashley Michael

Post by zaynab_m »

Awesome review!
I have loved the stars too fondly to be fearful of the night.
Latest Review: "Countdown the reckoning" by Ashley Michael
bookowlie

Post by bookowlie »

Thanks Zaynab for the kind words. :) The book is chock-full of interesting tidbits about this little-known island.

-- 08 Nov 2015, 16:28 --
Leon Durham wrote:OMG Bookowlie, I just looked up the definition of "inane". Pls don't take my comment the wrong way. (^_-)
I just like it that you keep using this word. :lol: :lol:
bluemel4
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Anne Bishop
Currently Reading: The Dark Tower, Books 1-3
Bookshelf Size: 466
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bluemel4.html
Latest Review: "Severed Threads" by Kaylin McFarren
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
fav_author_id: 6086

Post by bluemel4 »

Fantastic review! This books sounds both entertaining and educational. :D
"Life is a journey, not a destination" --Ralph Waldo Emerson
Latest Review: "Severed Threads" by Kaylin McFarren
bookowlie

Post by bookowlie »

Thanks Bluemel! It was an enjoyable read, although parts dragged a bit. I feel like lopping off 50 pages throughout the book would have done a lot to keep up my interest level.
Tanaya
Favorite Author: George Orwell
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 89
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tanaya.html
Latest Review: Beans...Finding My Way Home by Debi Brown
fav_author_id: 1746

Post by Tanaya »

Great, thorough review as always. Sounds like they're a bunch of hypochondriacs, which I used to be able to relate to. I spent too much time on WebMD and had to cut myself off to it.
bookowlie

Post by bookowlie »

Thanks. The locals might be overly concerned with ailments, but many of them concoct their own home remedies and potions to handle things. Pretty self-sufficient. :)
Cee-Jay Aurinko

@bookowlie @Tanaya It's like people in my country always saying, "Hey I have this flu." The other goes, "The old people take a brick and mix it with curry powder," and there you go, a remedy!
bookowlie

Post by bookowlie »

Leon Durham wrote:@bookowlie @Tanaya It's like people in my country always saying, "Hey I have this flu." The other goes, "The old people take a brick and mix it with curry powder," and there you go, a remedy!
Ha ha ha. I guess if it works, then it's a remedy. :)
PashaRu
Currently Reading: Vicars of Christ - The Dark Side of the Papacy
Bookshelf Size: 191
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-pasharu.html
Latest Review: "Damn Females on the Lawn" by Rachel Hurd

Post by PashaRu »

Interesting review, sounds like a book I'd enjoy. I lived out of my home country for a couple of years (in eastern Europe, as a matter of fact), so a lot of this sounds familiar. I'd much rather read something like this than books about dragons, elves, wizards, zombies, vampires, etc.
[Insert quote here. Read. Raise an eyebrow. Be mildly amused. Rinse & repeat.]
Latest Review: "Damn Females on the Lawn" by Rachel Hurd

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”