The Most Dangerous Animal of All

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
DaintyFlower7
Currently Reading: The Bazaar of Bad Dreams
Bookshelf Size: 40
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-daintyflower7.html
Latest Review: "Strange" by Mark Taylor
Publishing Contest Votes: 33

The Most Dangerous Animal of All

Post by DaintyFlower7 »

I don't often read non-fiction, but, when I do, I usually gravitate towards true crime. So it's fair to say I've read most of the usual suspects in this genre and have found them to range wildly in terms of narrative quality and degree of intrigue. The Most Dangerous Animal of All hits a home run on both fronts and provides an experience that is very much like reading a fictional mystery. In his debut book, Gary Stewart chronicals what begins as an adopted boy searching for his biological father and ends with the likely discovery of the identity of one of America's most infamous serial killers. Although the Zodiac Killer case remains unsolved officially, Stewart provides an extremely compelling case that his biological father was the murderer who terrified San Fransico residents and taunted the police with his maddening cryptographs in the 1960's. Notwithstanding the lack of offical confirmation that Stewart's father was the notorious killer, the story of Earl Van Best's life is a real crime drama in itself. First-hand accounts, newspaper articles, and photographs weave seamlessly with Stewart's semi-fictional narrative to paint the picture of a man who likely grew into a serial killer and left a wake of destroyed lives behind him, even if one excludes the Zodiac's victims and their families. Suspenseful and compelling to the end, Most Dangerous Animal will keep you guessing and wondering whether Stewart actually solved California's most famous unsolved crimes.
Latest Review: "Strange" by Mark Taylor

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”