Official Review: Sitting in the Rain by Dominique Valido

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
CzechTigg
Currently Reading: Free Fish Friday
Bookshelf Size: 35
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-czechtigg.html
Latest Review: "Finding the Phoenix" by Caitlin O'Connor

Official Review: Sitting in the Rain by Dominique Valido

Post by CzechTigg »

[Following is the official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Sitting in the Rain" by Dominique Valido.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

This very small self-help book manages to pack a lot of depth and meaning into its limited word/page count. Clearly it recognizes that we all have been through trials and tribulations (a phrase I use myself, but also is in the text of this book) in our lives and sometimes moving on from the hard times is a lot easier said than done.

I myself have been guilty of dwelling on things in the past, and have sought help from different corners. At the same time reflection can be a strength, so books like these are one way to achieve that fine balance, and to assert some authority over one's life.

Mentions of meditation and raiki in the preface show the extent of the author's combined body/spiritual approaches to managing the stresses of life. The main body of the text though is much more about personal relationships and using conscious effort in order to gain an improved perspective and overall better confidence in one's own self.

The cover is a nicely hand-drawn image of a girl with a seemingly metaphorical umbrella/tree as a form of protection or respite. This ties in with the key advice of sitting in the rain, so as to wash away one's troubles and grow as a person. Perhaps some more illustrations (in a longer edition) would be effective. As good as the words are, they perhaps could come with both some diagrams/charts and some more images. There is real promise though in how the different chapters are laid out with deliberate intent.

I did enjoy this effort, as Valido is clearly a very emotionally open and caring person. Her grasp of English perhaps needs some work here and there, with indefinite articles letting her down and the use or non-use of capitals. At the same time I myself cannot claim to be a natural with any modern languages (I was good at Latin) so I know all too well how easy it is to make certain mistakes and only notice them later.

There is a lot of competition out there with self-help books and some manage to attract an audience simply owing to the author being well-established and often through something completely outside the writing world. It is not particularly fair to my mind, but if an author cannot get that head-start they must find something new or at least creative to say and then convey that message with real authority.
I wish in some ways I had a bit more to go on from the copy I had, but the fundamentals were sound, and I like writers who want to imbue their work with meaning with every sentence. This book for the most part did that.

I give this book a 3 out of 4.

Sitting in the Rain
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like CzechTigg's review? Post a comment saying so!
gali
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: Pride and Prejudice in Space
Bookshelf Size: 2288
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
Publishing Contest Votes: 0
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by gali »

Nice review! I am glad you enjoyed it.
A retired Admin/Mod

Pronouns: She/Her

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
CzechTigg

Post by CzechTigg »

I got a reasonable score, especially considering the effort I put in. I do wonder if I have to try and tailor my style to the predominantly american community here as 'they' is accepted here and in Australia as a term for he or she, but of course technically is a grammar error.
The second comment was very flattering. I guess poetry is in my soul to a degree. On the other hand that reviewer perhaps wanted more hard and fast details. I would certainly be happy to do a page by page breakdown of the book in a series of articles. It was not the easiest book to sum up even as a sample copy. Many novels are a lot more focused and easy to do as such with, so perhaps next time I will go into that side.
Thanks everyone for viewing this thread. I will be back soon with more!
zeldas_lullaby
Favorite Author: ---------
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... =3452">The Thorn Birds</a>
Currently Reading: The Last Stonestepper
Bookshelf Size: 79
Signature Addition: View official OnlineBookClub.org review of Forever Twelve

Post by zeldas_lullaby »

Great review! I'm not opposed to self-help/insight books myself, and this one has a gorgeous cover.

Your review gave me a good sense of the author as a person/advisor. Your review also gave me a sense that the author wants to lift people up and has a beautiful soul. I love the whole thing about sitting in the rain.

Great job for a first review! Happy day to you!
peprica21
Currently Reading: Station Eleven
Bookshelf Size: 45
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-peprica21.html
Latest Review: "The Bone Whisperer" by D.S. Allen

Post by peprica21 »

Great review! I really liked your suggestion to add illustrations thought the story to enhance the meaning of the book. I've read several self-help type books and I don't remember any of them having any drawings or diagrams. Defiantly something different to add to make a book stand out.
Latest Review: "The Bone Whisperer" by D.S. Allen
CzechTigg

Post by CzechTigg »

Thanks very much. I always enjoy composing opinions and reading other's too. I had a bad game of tennis just now so such comments are just the tonic.

-- 10 Oct 2015, 09:46 --

My next review will appear first on my own blog, due to the requirements of that review. Holding Fire, mostly written by much younger people than myself. So far 2 stories with a lot of meat to them, but also a lot of room for further fleshing out and writer craft.
rssllue
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Ted Dekker
Favorite Book: The Bible
Currently Reading: A Year with C. S. Lewis
Bookshelf Size: 602
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rssllue.html
Latest Review: My Personal Desert Storm by Marcus Johnson
fav_author_id: 2881

Post by rssllue »

A very well crafted and thought out review. Nice job!
~ occupare fati suffocavit

I will both lay me down in peace, and sleep: for Thou, LORD, only makest me dwell in safety. ~ Psalms 4:8
CzechTigg

Post by CzechTigg »

Dominique also writes a lot of poetry, so I will try and see what she has posted online. This is her first book according to Amazon. She is only in her 20s but has a wise approach to life.
RussetDivinity
Bookshelf Size: 44
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-russetdivinity.html
Latest Review: "Heart of Flint" by Scott Stricklen

Post by RussetDivinity »

This is a great review, and the book definitely sounds like it's worth checking out.
Latest Review: "Heart of Flint" by Scott Stricklen
CzechTigg

Post by CzechTigg »

Thanks all for kind words. My next review will be on own blog as part of conditions requested for Holding Fire, but then will cover 'the undocumented struggle'.
bookowlie
Special Discussion Leader
Favorite Book: The Lost Continent
Currently Reading: The Night She Went Missing
Bookshelf Size: 442
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookowlie.html
Latest Review: To Paint A Murder by E. J. Gandolfo

Post by bookowlie »

Congrats on your first review! Nice, thoughtful commentary. I like that your criticisms were constructive and handled in a tactful way. Well done!
"The best way out is always through" - Robert Frost
CzechTigg

Post by CzechTigg »

I'm nothing if not thoughtful :) Your avatar is inspired, I wonder if the owl has a second book to read behind his back?

I do need to work on clarity and formatting, but am confident the wrinkles will be ironed out with each further piece I contribute.
Cee-Jay Aurinko
Favorite Author: Stephen King
Favorite Book: The Dark Tower 1 - The Gunslinger
Bookshelf Size: 57
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cee-jay-aurinko.html
Latest Review: "Higgins Hotel" by Carla Coffman
fav_author_id: 2376

Post by Cee-Jay Aurinko »

Great review, CzechTigg. I don't read a lot of Self-help books as once a year is enough for me, but I'm sure readers who've never read one can benefit from taking a look at Sitting In The Rain.
"Might as well drink the ocean with a spoon as argue with a lover." -- The Dark Tower 2, Stephen King
Latest Review: "Higgins Hotel" by Carla Coffman
CzechTigg

Post by CzechTigg »

Learning from ones's own mistakes is as important as any book, but applying advice from a credible source can certainly help.

I do wonder also if Dominique will attempt a good solid original novel, which has a clear thematic message or two in terms of how to live well.
Howitz47
Bookshelf Size: 3

Post by Howitz47 »

A good review, perhaps you could have reworked parts of the conclusion to the earlier sections so as to make clear how you felt the book stood out in the busy advice market?

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”