Book Review: Better Than Before by Gretchen Rubin

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
LauraMcQuade
Bookshelf Size: 0

Book Review: Better Than Before by Gretchen Rubin

Post by LauraMcQuade »

Have you ever looked around and thought "Why can't I get organized?"

Or maybe, "Why am I always late?"

Or even, "Why can't I stop snacking?"

Gretchen Rubin set out to discover why we have the habits we have, and what we can do to change them, after a conversation with a friend who just couldn't seem to "get into the habit" of exercise. The result of her research is this gem of a book that will always hold a treasured spot on my shelf.

I wrote in the margins, I lost track of time, I jabbered on to my husband about it until he almost knew the book better than me. Better than Before, Mastering the Habits of Our Everyday Lives may well be the catalyst you've been looking for. To me, it was like putting on a pair of glasses: All the things I thought I was seeing before suddenly became radically clearer.
emilyjune2011
Currently Reading: Better Than Before
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-emilyjune2011.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by emilyjune2011 »

Almost done reading this myself right now! So good--and so insightful. Rubin doesn't just give you tips on how to develop habits, she helps you figure out quirks in your personality and use those to make habits work better for you. I also wrote in the margins and made my boyfriend read sections of it. I was quick to discover I'm an Obliger--and him a rebel. Now every time I'm asking him to do something and find it difficult, I remember this and ask differently. So helpful!

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”