Official Review: Dating Calamity by Angela Rosemary

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
ananya92
Favorite Author: Jeffrey Archer
Favorite Book: Pride and Prejudice
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 111
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ananya92.html
Latest Review: A Passover in Peshawar by AM Sardar
fav_author_id: 4949

Official Review: Dating Calamity by Angela Rosemary

Post by ananya92 »

[Following is the official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Dating Calamity" by Angela Rosemary.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Dating Calamity: A Memoir of Odd Relationships by Angela Rosemary is a book in the nonfiction genre.

As the title clearly suggests, the author has reminisced at length about some of the relationships/dates she was involved in. The book opens with a forward where the author has provided a short context to the book. Most of the author’s relationships can be placed in the timeline ranging from the 1970’s to the 1990’s. The author mentions it beforehand that the events might not be in strict chronological order and obviously, all the names have been changed to protect the innocent or ‘the not so innocent’, as the author puts it.

The book is quite a short read, with its kindle edition numbering to some hundred and forty seven pages. Within these few pages the author has managed to pack numerous incidents, which kept me glued to the book, beginning with the quirky table of contents itself. The author’s style of writing is simple and frank. There is no particular order in which the author recounts her relationships, in fact, most of the time the author is recounting some particular experience or incident rather than going into the details of her relationship. I've used the word ‘relationship’ plenty of times, because sometimes the author is narrating some unforgettable (in a good or bad way) incident during her relationship, though in some cases she is remembering a particular date as well.

What kept my interest piqued was the author’s perspective, and her attempt to find some humor or some lesson to learn in every situation in this book. There are some incidents which were so silly, that I was laughing my head off, especially since they had happened for real. For instance, when the author kept crying “Mai To” when she was administered an anesthetic, and the nurse suspected that she was having an affair with a Chinese man, since her husband was not one. In the author’s own words, “I thought about this later, back in my room. Had I been speaking in a foreign language that I had never studied? How weird was this? “Mai To!” I thought out loud. Then it hit me. My toe had been hurting before the anesthesia kicked in. Maybe I had relived that injury while under anesthesia! I couldn’t help but to laugh, which made my stomach hurt. Then I wondered which would make a better story. Should I tell people that I had spoken a foreign language while under anesthesia, or should I tell them the truth?” The book has its good share of such tidbits of humor.

The author also shares some home truths and a few thoughts on the male species, with the readers. For example, when the author describes how her husband would never take out the trash, even when she had it all packed up and tied up for him. “Sometimes I have felt that b****ing just takes too much effort, and I might expend less energy if I just took that trash out myself. I might grumble a bit and then be done with it. I guess that is how men break us. They can procrastinate endlessly.”

Some of her experiences were downright dangerous, but the author’s lighthearted tone makes them seem less scary than they actually were. The humor, sarcasm, wit, and frankness which the author has displayed in this book, is definitely worth a read. The author wonders whether it is her oddity which attracts such odd men in her life, but I guess most women have experienced at least one such odd date like the author, which is why I recommend every female reader to go through this one (and men too, if they feel so inclined). I rate it 4 out of 4 stars.

Dating Calamity
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like ananya92's review? Post a comment saying so!
anonanemone
Favorite Author: So many...
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 24">Tinder Stricken</a>
Currently Reading: Outland Exile
Bookshelf Size: 901
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anonanemone.html
Latest Review: "The Shark in the Park" by Mark Watson
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by anonanemone »

Great review! This sounds like a fun and interesting read. The author's attitude sounds right up my alley.

Congratulations, Angela Rosemary, on a fun and fascinating book with applications to a large part of the population and which should be of interest to the rest! :D
The world lives between those who say it cannot be done and those who say that it can. And in my experience, those who say that it can be done are usually telling the truth. --Lord Vetinari (Discworld, Raising Steam)
Latest Review: "The Shark in the Park" by Mark Watson
Heidi M Simone
Official Reviewer Representative
Favorite Book: Harry Potter
Currently Reading: Beyond the Wand
Bookshelf Size: 556
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-heidi-m-simone.html
Latest Review: Lugares Amables by Lidice Megla
Publishing Contest Votes: 27
fav_author_id: 0

Post by Heidi M Simone »

@ananya92, what a wonderful review! The author seems like a great person to know!

I would also like to congratulate the author for a great book and a great review!
Heidi
Official Reviewer Representative

"There is nothing as powerful as a mother’s love, and nothing as healing as a child’s soul." – Unknown
ananya92
Currently Reading:

Post by ananya92 »

@anonanemone & @hsimone: Thanks :) Yeah, the author's attitude towards life and relationships is quite cool.
debo9967
Bookshelf Size: 64
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-debo9967.html
Latest Review: "Self Examination" by VK Grover

Post by debo9967 »

Seems like quite a fun read. Nice review!
Latest Review: "Self Examination" by VK Grover
ananya92
Currently Reading:

Post by ananya92 »

Cee-Jay Aurinko
Favorite Author: Stephen King
Favorite Book: The Dark Tower 1 - The Gunslinger
Bookshelf Size: 57
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cee-jay-aurinko.html
Latest Review: "Higgins Hotel" by Carla Coffman
fav_author_id: 2376

Post by Cee-Jay Aurinko »

Funny snippet. I'm still chuckling. And Ananya92, I do feel so inclined. Excellent review!
"Might as well drink the ocean with a spoon as argue with a lover." -- The Dark Tower 2, Stephen King
Latest Review: "Higgins Hotel" by Carla Coffman
ananya92
Currently Reading:

Post by ananya92 »

Ha, ha! Thanks :)
angela9
Bookshelf Size: 2

Post by angela9 »

Thank you for such a nice review on Dating Calamity, and thanks again. Angela Rosemary
bookowlie
Special Discussion Leader
Favorite Book: The Lost Continent
Currently Reading: The Night She Went Missing
Bookshelf Size: 442
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookowlie.html
Latest Review: To Paint A Murder by E. J. Gandolfo

Post by bookowlie »

Great review! I was laughing while reading it, so I am sure the book will be funny, too. I think most women can relate to this book, even if they are married!
"The best way out is always through" - Robert Frost
ananya92
Currently Reading:

Post by ananya92 »

Thanks! :)
kimmyschemy06
Currently Reading: The Searching Three
Bookshelf Size: 694
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kimmyschemy06.html
Latest Review: Kazi Boku by M. Poyhonen

Post by kimmyschemy06 »

Sounds like an enjoyable and pleasurable book to read. Great review! Congratulations to Angela Rosemary for such a wonderful book!
ananya92
Currently Reading:

Post by ananya92 »

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”