Official Review: His Special Little Girl - Incest in a Ch...

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Ramona
Favorite Author: Too many...
Currently Reading: Burn Zones
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ramona.html
Latest Review: "My Life In The Dirt: Adventures Of A Suburban Organic Farmer" by J. Don Bell
Reading Device: B00BWYQ9YE

Official Review: His Special Little Girl - Incest in a Ch...

Post by Ramona »

[Following is the official OnlineBookClub.org review of "His Special Little Girl - Incest in a Christian Home" by Jody Lynn Rutherford.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

HIS SPECIAL LITTLE GIRL Incest in a Christian Home by Jody Lynn Rutherford is the story of a victim who became a victor. Ms. Rutherford started her life in a home where abuse soon abounded. She and her five siblings, four brothers and one sister, all were victims of one form of abuse or another by their alcoholic father. The boys were often beaten with a belt; the girls were subjected to sexual abuse. The author remembers the inappropriate touching started when she was about three or four years old. When her sister Tammy, about seven years younger than Jody, was in high school, she requested a lock for her bedroom door.

Their mother, who seemed unaware of the girls' abuse and afraid to intervene on the boys' behalf, was also a victim of fear and eventually mental illness. The family grew up in poverty and often had to go without basic needs because of the father's alcohol problem. But the author of this book tells how she became a victor through the grace and strength of God.

It was a hard read at times when she was describing the abuse itself. She did not hold anything back in the telling of her story. I did not like reading the specific details of the abuses. But she handled them as well as possible considering the topic. Her honesty about the brutality of the abuse shows the pain of an innocent child and how her faith in God eventually brought her through to an ultimate victory of forgiveness and love.

While on the path to forgiveness, the author's life was far from perfect. Her first marriage ended in a painful divorce. There were times when, as an adult, she made poor choices for herself. Some (perhaps even most) of those poor choices were a direct or an indirect result of the abuse in her childhood. With God's help, she is now doing her best to trust God, to walk in His path for her. Sharing her story in writing this book is not just another step in her own healing, but it also can be of help to someone else who is or has been going through similar circumstances.

I noticed there were several editing issues in the book, although not enough to make me want to stop reading. There was an occasional omission of a word. There were also some errors that appeared to be typographical. Since they were very obvious to me as I was reading along, I feel that they could and should have been caught with careful proofreading.

In the chapters that included letters and testimonials by her family members, she did say that their writings were unedited. I feel that even this section should have been edited. Two quotes in particular (on page 110) are "And thou the tears came like rivers some times..." and "On, what a Mom." These should have been corrected to "though" and "Oh" to make a smooth read. It does not matter whether these errors were in the original writing by her brother or in the copying of the text into the book itself. As a reader, in most situations I would prefer to read a corrected version unless the errors are necessary because of the context of the original writer's words. In this book, that was not the case. These two examples were obviously typographical and were not caught by a word processing spell checker since they are words in their own right. So careful human proofreading is absolutely necessary. Although the author may have read it over after writing, it is so easy for a writer to overlook typos and just read what he or she thinks is on the page. That seems to be the case here.

Reading this book would be helpful for parents and for anyone working with children. It would also be helpful for any adult who has been or is in an abusive situation. At the end of the book, the author has included a list of signs to look for in individuals who may be suffering from sexual abuse. There is also a list of book titles and websites that would be helpful for anyone going through sexual abuse and for those in positions to help abuse victims.

I would not recommend this book to be read by children. I would look for something age appropriate under the guidance of an adult who is able to discuss the subject with the child. And if the child is a victim, then age appropriate information with a qualified counselor would be needful.

Although the topics, incest and beatings, made it a hard read for me, it was also a good read because it shows the author's path to healing. It shows that healing is possible in spite of the hurts and bruises, both physical and emotional. Healing is not easy and it may take a long time. But with God's love and forgiveness, she allowed Him to help her show that love and forgiveness to her father.

The author's story shows that her path to healing was not perfect. But it also shows that when she found herself in a difficult or destructive situation, whether for weeks or months or years, she did not totally give up. As an adult, whenever she realized she had strayed from her faith in God, she ultimately let Him draw her back to Himself. This, too, was not easy and it was not quick, but allowing God to work in her helped her on her healing and forgiveness journey. At the time of writing the book, she is serving God by ministering to others however and whenever she can.

I rate this book 3 out of 4 stars. The grammar and punctuation were good. The recommended books and websites at the end of the book almost make it a 4 star rating in spite of the editing issues. But I believe that editing and proofreading are extremely important in every area of publication -- books, pamphlets, written public announcements, notices sent home from school (yes, I've seen editing issues in them!) Because anything for the public should be carefully proofread, I have to hold my rating down to 3 stars. I felt that Ms. Rutherford's writing style was as if she were sitting in a room, talking and sharing her heart with me. Therefore, I would rate this book 3.5 out of 4 stars if I could.

His Special Little Girl - Incest in a Christian Home
View: on Bookshelves | on Barnes and Noble

Like Ramona's review? Post a comment saying so!
Numbers 6:24-26 The LORD bless you and keep you; the LORD make his face to shine upon you and be gracious to you; the LORD lift up his countenance upon you and give you peace.
Latest Review: "My Life In The Dirt: Adventures Of A Suburban Organic Farmer" by J. Don Bell
Cee-Jay Aurinko
Favorite Author: Stephen King
Favorite Book: The Dark Tower 1 - The Gunslinger
Bookshelf Size: 57
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cee-jay-aurinko.html
Latest Review: "Higgins Hotel" by Carla Coffman
fav_author_id: 2376

Post by Cee-Jay Aurinko »

Ramona, you've written an excellent review, devoid of those editing errors you wrote about. I can agree with you that any book, published or self-published, should be absolutely flawless. Readers read to become smarter, not dumber. Some great Indie books are easy to forgive, but not every reader is a forgiving soul. This novel sounds truly thought provoking. The abuse part can be hard to read, but it doesn't mean that these stories shouldn't be told. I congratulate the author on her victory as well as getting this story out there.
"Might as well drink the ocean with a spoon as argue with a lover." -- The Dark Tower 2, Stephen King
Tanaya
Favorite Author: George Orwell
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 89
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tanaya.html
Latest Review: Beans...Finding My Way Home by Debi Brown
fav_author_id: 1746

Post by Tanaya »

I commend you for honestly reviewing a book of this nature. That's an extremely tough and uncomfortable topic to dwell on. However, the fact that the author is on the path of healing is a relief. I agree with Leon. This was an excellent review and very in-depth.
Ramona

Post by Ramona »

Thank you, Leon and Tanaya, for your thoughts and compliments on my review. Yes, it was a very uncomfortable topic, but one that does need to be exposed in order to help other people who are experiencing that abuse. The editing issues were minor but did also need to be addressed, I couldn't have written this review without bringing them to light.
Numbers 6:24-26 The LORD bless you and keep you; the LORD make his face to shine upon you and be gracious to you; the LORD lift up his countenance upon you and give you peace.
Heidi M Simone
Official Reviewer Representative
Favorite Book: Harry Potter
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 559
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-heidi-m-simone.html
Latest Review: GPS para el cielo by Jose Rafael Nunez Patino
Publishing Contest Votes: 27
fav_author_id: 0

Post by Heidi M Simone »

@Ramona, wow! What a book! I really enjoyed reading your review. I feel as if you captured a lot of the author was trying to portray. Normally, I don't enjoy harsh, disturbing scenes either, however, the book sounds so interesting that I will be adding it to my to-read list. I congratulate the author as well for sharing her story. Thank you for writing such a great review!
Heidi
Official Reviewer Representative

"There is nothing as powerful as a mother’s love, and nothing as healing as a child’s soul." – Unknown
Cee-Jay Aurinko
Favorite Author: Stephen King
Favorite Book: The Dark Tower 1 - The Gunslinger
Bookshelf Size: 57
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cee-jay-aurinko.html
fav_author_id: 2376

Post by Cee-Jay Aurinko »

And you did a fine job with it Ramona. I'm sure the author appreciates your feedback and will put it to good use.
"Might as well drink the ocean with a spoon as argue with a lover." -- The Dark Tower 2, Stephen King
Ramona

Post by Ramona »

Thanks everyone for your complimentary remarks! Yes, the author did a great job about a very difficult subject.
kimmyschemy06
Currently Reading: The Searching Three
Bookshelf Size: 694
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kimmyschemy06.html
Latest Review: Kazi Boku by M. Poyhonen

Post by kimmyschemy06 »

Incest is a delicate subject for me so I understand when you said
It was a hard read at times when she was describing the abuse itself
However, since this is a book about healing, forgiving and moving on, I might find it an enjoyable read. I hope I get to have this book someday :) Great review!
Ramona

Post by Ramona »

Thanks, Kimmyschmy06, Yes, overall, it was an enjoyable read, even though about a difficult subject. But because the author did find healing and was able to forgive and move on as you said, I am very glad to have read her story.
Melissa Bharath
Favorite Book: One Night of Sin
Currently Reading: Melanie's Evanescent Journey
Bookshelf Size: 71
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by Melissa Bharath »

His Special Little Girl - Incest in a Christian Home" by Jody Lynn Rutherford.

I read this book with the intention of understanding someone experience who went through child abuse. I am against child abuse in every way and when I downloaded this book I expected to get a better understanding on the child's feeling, emotionally, mentally and physically. What were you thinking about when it happened?, What you did knowing about the situation you where in?, How you relieve the stress from you body and mind? These are questions that should be out lined during the course of the book

The author wrote this book and in all the chapters it was full of descriptions not leading to the point of the story "CHILD ABUSE ". I was very disappointed about the outcome of this book.

You talked about Jody's life like a normal everyday person. Jody's father sexually abuse her when she was a little girl but yet she went through life like any normal person. Nothing mentioned about how you felt emotionally, mentally or physically. Nothing about how this affected her schooling or her love life

After that jody had grown up to a teenager and was able to speak up to her father, tell him what he is doing was wrong, but yet jody still went through her teenage years like any normal child. You still did not try to speak to anyone about it even though you knew that you sister was going through the same problem.

Jody treated her father like if he was an amazing father, allowing him to interact with her kids not caring if he would try and do the same thing to her daughter.

Jody waited until Chapter 19 to tell her tale and only beacuse one little child did not like what happened and she speaked up about it. The book was stressed out of to much unnecessary words which don't collaborate the book's title.

Now in the chapters after everyone one found jody state she was told by her sister that her father was sexually abusing her but yet again you did not mentioned it to anyone to at least try and save her from the same thing that happened to you. You did not try a be a big sister, a hero for your little sister. Nothing on how her sister felt, what she was going through emotionally, mentally, physically. WHY?

In Chapter 20 Jody said she now felt like her life was over, she did not know what do, but to me that is how she was suppose to feel when the sexual abuse started not coming down to the end of the book.

Jody was not suppose to live a normal life through out this ordeal. Jody suppose to tell us how she felt when she had intercourse for the first time with her boyfriend after going through such a tragic past.

I would of wanted to know how you felt at that moment. Jody waited till the end of the book to let us know how she felt emotionally, mentally and physically and I think Jody was suppose to mention those feeling during the course of the book

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”