Official Review: The Sifted Generation

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Rachaelamb1
Favorite Author: CS Lewis
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... onwitch</a>
Currently Reading: Falling Star
Bookshelf Size: 128
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rachaelamb1.html
Latest Review: "Dragon Born" by Ela Lourenco

Official Review: The Sifted Generation

Post by Rachaelamb1 »

[Following is the official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Sifted Generation" by Michael L. Henderson.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The Sifted Generation by Michael L. Henderson is a Christian non-fiction book about the last days, according to biblical teaching. This book explores what life will look like for Christians in the end-times. It discusses that there will be increasing hostility toward Christians who follow sound doctrine. Throughout the book, the author gives examples of how America already appears to be turning hostile toward Christians, which is a sign of the end-times. He talks about how persecution is part of God's way of sifting (or sorting) the true believers from the false. This book also discusses the deceptions in the church and how a person can know whether or not they are a true believer.

The strength of this book lies in its biblical emphasis. There is no sugar-coating or political correctness in the author's writing, which is likely to be very controversial. This book is written for people who already believe in the Bible and want a better understanding of what life will be like before Jesus comes back.

As far as end-time books go, this is not the most comprehensive study. I think it would be great for those who have never been taught about the last days or who are new to Christianity, but for me this book does not offer anything new.

The first half of The Sifted Generation is completely about what sifting looks like in the American culture. After the first 2 or 3 chapters, I understood the author's point and the rest seemed repetitive. I feel it would have been more effective if the first half had been condensed and more time had been spent on what our response to sifting should be, or how we can prepare our hearts for the last days.

My one nitpick is that the author only offers a pre-tribulation description of the rapture. I suppose that he believes in it strongly, which is why he does not think it is necessary to include the other beliefs. I personally prefer it when teachers realize that some things (such as when the rapture will occur) are opinions and not biblical fact. However, I can understand that the purpose of the book is not about the rapture, but rather the sifting that occurs before that time. Therefore, I can see why a lot of time is not spent explaining the different opinions on the rapture.

I give The Sifted Generation 3 out of 4 stars. Despite my criticisims, the book overall does have a lot of good information. I can see how it will be helpful for its target audience. I also appreciate reading a Christian book that does not shy away from controversial subjects. If you are wondering what it means to be sifted, and how you can be ready for it, then this might just be the book for you.

The Sifted Generation
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Rachaelamb1's review? Post a comment saying so!
Heidi M Simone
Official Reviewer Representative
Favorite Book: Harry Potter
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 559
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-heidi-m-simone.html
Latest Review: GPS para el cielo by Jose Rafael Nunez Patino
Publishing Contest Votes: 27
fav_author_id: 0

Post by Heidi M Simone »

When I first read the title of the book, i didn't really know what to expect. However, I can honestly say that I wasn't expecting that!

I believe you did a very nice job with your review. You explained the content very well, and I now have a pretty good understanding of what The Sifted Generation is about. It sounds like an interesting read, but I'm not sure if it's for me. But, thank you for a great review!
Heidi
Official Reviewer Representative

"There is nothing as powerful as a mother’s love, and nothing as healing as a child’s soul." – Unknown
Jesska6029
Favorite Author: J.K. Rowling
Favorite Book: The Harry Potter series
Currently Reading: It and Mr. Mercedes
Bookshelf Size: 279
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jesska6029.html
Latest Review: "Texaners: Eight Short Stories" by T. F. Rhoden
fav_author_id: 1778

Post by Jesska6029 »

The title of the book is super catchy. I am not sure the subject matter is for me. Great review!
“Some failure in life is inevitable. It is impossible to live without failing at something, unless you live so cautiously that you might as well not have lived at all—in which case, you fail by default.” ~J.K. Rowling
Latest Review: "Texaners: Eight Short Stories" by T. F. Rhoden
Rachaelamb1

Post by Rachaelamb1 »

Thank you both! Glad my review gave you a good idea of the content of the book, hsimone. :)
NadineTimes10
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 3844">John Nielson Had a Daughter</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 127
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nadinetimes10.html
Latest Review: Joletta’s Dreams by Karen Craker Forester

Post by NadineTimes10 »

Great job pointing out the book's target audience! Some books on a particular topic are aimed toward sceptics of the topic, and others are aimed toward people who are already on common footing of belief as the author. It's helpful for readers to be aware of which is which, so it's good you made it clear who this book is written for in your review.
gali
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: Pride and Prejudice in Space
Bookshelf Size: 2288
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
Publishing Contest Votes: 0
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by gali »

Nice review, but the book isn't for me either. 8)
A retired Admin/Mod

Pronouns: She/Her

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
Levi
Favorite Author: S. Morgenstern ha ha
Favorite Book: Crik
Currently Reading: Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince
Bookshelf Size: 542
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-levi.html
Latest Review: "The Six and the Gardeners of Ialana" by Katlynn Brooke
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Levi »

NadineTimes10 wrote:Great job pointing out the book's target audience! Some books on a particular topic are aimed toward sceptics of the topic, and others are aimed toward people who are already on common footing of belief as the author. It's helpful for readers to be aware of which is which, so it's good you made it clear who this book is written for in your review.
I agree, great job. You made it very clear who the book was written for and any errors or shortcomings it contained.
"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self." —Ernest Hemingway
Latest Review: "The Six and the Gardeners of Ialana" by Katlynn Brooke
Rachaelamb1

Post by Rachaelamb1 »

Thank you everyone for your comments!
chytach18-
Favorite Author: John Fowles
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 3">Strange Case of Dr Jekill and Mr Hyde</a>
Currently Reading: Dark Corners
Bookshelf Size: 98
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chytach18.html
Latest Review: "Smiling Exercises, and Other Stories" by Dan Malakin
fav_author_id: 2947

Post by chytach18- »

Nice review. I also was misled by the title.
Latest Review: "Smiling Exercises, and Other Stories" by Dan Malakin
Rachaelamb1

Post by Rachaelamb1 »

yes, it is hard to get a good idea of a book just from the title or cover! Although I can assure you the title for this book is fitting.
zeldas_lullaby
Favorite Author: ---------
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... =3452">The Thorn Birds</a>
Currently Reading: The Last Stonestepper
Bookshelf Size: 79
Signature Addition: View official OnlineBookClub.org review of Forever Twelve

Post by zeldas_lullaby »

Wow... is the word "sifting" in the Urban Dictionary yet?

I could be in a minority here, but I believe that people should be "judged" (more or less) on the size of their hearts and how hard they try to grow, moreso than on their belief system. <Shrug.>
Rachaelamb1

Post by Rachaelamb1 »

zeldas_lullaby wrote:Wow... is the word "sifting" in the Urban Dictionary yet?

I could be in a minority here, but I believe that people should be "judged" (more or less) on the size of their hearts and how hard they try to grow, moreso than on their belief system. <Shrug.>

Lol probably not in the urban dictionary but it is in the Bible. :)

To a certain extent I agree with you. There are many people who say they believe one thing but their actions prove otherwise. For instance, many people call themselves Christians yet do not follow the teachings of Christ. What this book is saying is that when it becomes unpopular to be a Christian is where the sifting of the true and false begins. That is what will show what is in your heart. "Man looks at the outward appearance but God looks at the heart."
zeldas_lullaby
Favorite Author: ---------
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... =3452">The Thorn Birds</a>
Currently Reading: The Last Stonestepper
Bookshelf Size: 79
Signature Addition: View official OnlineBookClub.org review of Forever Twelve

Post by zeldas_lullaby »

Ah, OK. I had no idea sifting was in the Bible, and I always paid attention in Sunday School! Shows what I learned! :o

I see what you're saying... that makes sense! :-)
Rachaelamb1

Post by Rachaelamb1 »

zeldas_lullaby wrote:Ah, OK. I had no idea sifting was in the Bible, and I always paid attention in Sunday School! Shows what I learned! :o

I see what you're saying... that makes sense! :-)
:) glad I could clarify.
Tanaya
Favorite Author: George Orwell
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 89
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tanaya.html
Latest Review: Beans...Finding My Way Home by Debi Brown
fav_author_id: 1746

Post by Tanaya »

This was a fantastic review. The initial summary of the book sounded appealing, but I can easily see how a book like this could get repetitive. And the fact that it doesn't offer much new to those already familiar is also dismaying. So I appreciate your criticisms. You made many valid points.

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”