Official Review: Still Believing : God is Real

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
L_Therese
Currently Reading: American Psycho
Bookshelf Size: 1970
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-l-therese.html
Latest Review: The Middle Ages by Jane Chance

Official Review: Still Believing : God is Real

Post by L_Therese »

[Following is the official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Still Believing : God is Real" by Anthony K. Russell Jr..]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Still Believing: God is Real! by Anthony K. Russell, Jr. is a devotional book for Christians. Very short, it is comprised of very brief passages that help the reader spend a moment contemplating God. Each is inspired by a Bible verse and prefaced by a quotation. Mr. Russell expresses his thoughts in a few succinct paragraphs before concluding the devotional reading.

The key to really appreciating this book is understanding its purpose. It is designed to provoke thought and discussion. It raises questions rather than answering them. Furthermore, it is written for people who already desire a relationship with the Christian God. As you see, it’s readership is fairly specific. Within those specifications, though, it is remarkable. As a teenager, I was exposed to many of these kinds of devotionals, and this one stands out because it is understandable, well-written, and genuinely thought-provoking. It never condescends to the reader, and its message would be applicable to people of many age groups.

One aspect of Still Believing that I find particularly well done is the way it showcases the beauty and awesomeness of God. Mr. Russell points out some of God’s character qualities and then offers Biblical examples that provide evidence of them. Then, he insists that a person can know more and experience more, and he offers advice on how to go about doing so. For instance, in the passage titled “Sovereign God”, Mr. Russell describes God as ever-present and reassuring and gives the example of Shadrach, Meshach, and Abednago being sent to the fiery furnace by Nebuchadnezzar. The Bible story tells that not only did God preserve their lives in the inferno, but witnesses could also see a fourth figure in the furnace with the three Hebrews. Mr. Russell then explains how a story like that one should reassure Christians that even when life gets hard, one can have faith that God is still present and is protecting His devotees. It is both celebration and challenge, which is exactly what I would be looking for in a daily devotional if I were in the market.

If I could make a suggestion to the author to improve Still Believing, I would ask him to edit his quotation sources. There is an unattributed quotation before each devotional section. I didn’t recognize many of them, so it is possible that they are the author’s original words, but their presentation suggests otherwise. Additionally, the author frequently quotes the Bible and fails to give the specific chapter and verse references. He does state explicitly that he is quoting Scripture, but a chapter and verse is customary and in my opinion, conspicuously missing. If the devotional provokes discussion, the absence of a Biblical reference might make it difficult to continue the conversation.

By the time I had read the first section, I had already thought of at least five different people who would love this book. If it weren’t for the situation with the quotations, I would definitely rate this book 4 stars, but because of the missing references, I feel that I can only in good conscience give it 3 out of 4 stars. If the author has the time, I hope that someday he does back and inserts the references he left out so that his devotional can become a truly inspiring read for Christians everywhere.

Still Believing : God is Real
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon | on Barnes and Noble | on Smashwords

Like L_Therese's review? Post a comment saying so!
bookowlie
Special Discussion Leader
Favorite Book: The Lost Continent
Currently Reading: The Night She Went Missing
Bookshelf Size: 442
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookowlie.html
Latest Review: To Paint A Murder by E. J. Gandolfo

Post by bookowlie »

I enjoyed reading your review! The book sounds like it would be a useful tool for Bible Study discussion groups. I agree with your points about the unattributed quotations.
"The best way out is always through" - Robert Frost
zeldas_lullaby
Favorite Author: ---------
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... =3452">The Thorn Birds</a>
Currently Reading: The Last Stonestepper
Bookshelf Size: 79
Signature Addition: View official OnlineBookClub.org review of Forever Twelve

Post by zeldas_lullaby »

This review takes me back to youth choir... we sang a song with these lyrics:

"He delivered Daniel from the lion's den, Jonah from the belly of the whale. And the hebrew children from the fiery furnace, so why not every man? Didn't my Lord deliver Daniel?"

Anyway, all the girls in youth choir protested about the lyrics, and they were changed by the choir leader to: "And the hebrew children from the fiery furnace, so why not everyone?"

I always thought that was a little silly, because "man" can be used generically to refer to everyone. Oh well.

Great review! I remember those devotional books. This one sounds like a good one, but for the issues you cited. :-)
Tanaya
Favorite Author: George Orwell
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 89
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tanaya.html
Latest Review: Beans...Finding My Way Home by Debi Brown
fav_author_id: 1746

Post by Tanaya »

@zeldas_lullaby I always love your comments. I'd be one of those girls complaining about the use of "man."

To the reviewer: Those missing Scripture references are a bit odd, but this does seem like a great book for Christian readers. Great review!
zeldas_lullaby
Favorite Author: ---------
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... =3452">The Thorn Birds</a>
Currently Reading: The Last Stonestepper
Bookshelf Size: 79
Signature Addition: View official OnlineBookClub.org review of Forever Twelve

Post by zeldas_lullaby »

HA HA! Thanks!!
AnthonyR323
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by AnthonyR323 »

Thank You for your Heart felt review of my book. I have made the neccesary corrections by adding the scripture references as well as the musical artists that wrote the lyrics to the quotations at the beginning of each chapter... I Thank You...
anonanemone
Favorite Author: So many...
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 24">Tinder Stricken</a>
Currently Reading: Outland Exile
Bookshelf Size: 901
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anonanemone.html
Latest Review: "The Shark in the Park" by Mark Watson
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by anonanemone »

Wonderful job on this review, Therese. Congratulations, Anthony on what is now apparently a 4-Star book! :D

I will have to keep this book in mind. Anthony, do you know when the updated version will be available?
The world lives between those who say it cannot be done and those who say that it can. And in my experience, those who say that it can be done are usually telling the truth. --Lord Vetinari (Discworld, Raising Steam)
Latest Review: "The Shark in the Park" by Mark Watson
AnthonyR323
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by AnthonyR323 »

The update for the paperback version has already been completed. The update for the Ebook is coming soon...
kimmyschemy06
Currently Reading: The Searching Three
Bookshelf Size: 694
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kimmyschemy06.html
Latest Review: Kazi Boku by M. Poyhonen

Post by kimmyschemy06 »

I would love to have this book. Great view! It highlights the parts one would like to know about a devotional reading material. Congratulations to Anthony K. Russell Jr. for such a wonderful book!
Mayang Bature
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 296
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mayang-bature.html
Latest Review: Living Intentionally by Viterose Van huis

Post by Mayang Bature »

You have a well written review here. I enjoyed reading it. It sounds like a wonderful book to christians who would like a devotional material.

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”