Mao's Last Dancer by Li Cunxin

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Gravy
Gravymaster of Bookshelves
Favorite Author: Seanan McGuire
Favorite Book: As many as there are stars in the sky
Currently Reading: The Ghost Tree
Bookshelf Size: 1027
fav_author_id: 3249

Mao's Last Dancer by Li Cunxin

Post by Gravy »

At eleven years old Li Cunxin, a peasant boy from China, was pulled from school to be physically evaluated...within twenty years he is a world famous ballet dancer.
Mao's Last Dancer is the story of how that came to be.

Starting with the story of his parents' wedding, a very ritualistic ceremony in 1949, Li Cunxin tells of his mother's fear of being poorly treated by her new family, of her embarrassement over her unbound feet, and the love she found that dispelled her fears.
He tells of the time he nearly lost his arm to an infected burn before he was even a year old.
He paints a vivid picture of a peasant's life in 1960's China, both the good and the bad, of the word games he and his six brothers played, and the hole in the ground facilities the whole commune shared.
From stories about rough-housing with friends, to digging out a rats nest looking for a little more food...and from flying one of his father's home-made kites--messages to the gods sent up on the kite string, to digging for half burned coal while trying not to be noticed by the armed guards, this story is always a balance of hope and hardship. With a generous sprinkling of love thrown in for flavor.

Within a few short years, Li Cunxin is one of the best dancers in his school, is sent to America to further his dancing education, defects from China, becomes a principal dancer with Houston Ballet...with so many fascinating stories in between...I could never list them all.

He tells of the linguistic mix-ups of learning a new language, his first experience with a dish washer, the time he drove a golf cart into a ditch...
All the while wishing he could give some of what he has to his family back in China, the family he hasn't even been able to call, his brothers, his mother, his father.

I could list at least a dozen more stories and it wouldn't even begin to scratch the surface of this beautiful autobiography. For every sorrow in these pages there was at least the same amount of joy and hope.

If this time in China interests you, this is one man's account--if you like ballet, the dancer and his story await you--if you want to believe the unbelieveable, a peasant boy from China will show you it's true--and if you just want an amazing story, this book has many within it's pages.

My most honest words in regard to this book are these: do yourself a favor and read it. I'm so thankful that I did.
Pronouns: She/Her

What is grief, if not love persevering?

Grief is just love with no place to go.
CCtheBrave
Favorite Author: Jorge Luis Borges
Currently Reading: Under Wildwood
Bookshelf Size: 168
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ccthebrave.html
Latest Review: "Wild Ozark Nature Journal" by Madison Woods
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
fav_author_id: 2819

Post by CCtheBrave »

I read this book back in high school and i immediately fell in love with it! This book is amazing: it's written well and the story is incredibly fascinating! A movie was recently made, as well. Thx for the review!
read well and write bravely
Latest Review: "Wild Ozark Nature Journal" by Madison Woods
dickens 100
Currently Reading: The Italian Wife
Bookshelf Size: 39
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dickens-100.html

Post by dickens 100 »

Sounds great, must read it. If it is as good as Wild Swans, the great masterpiece of a family growing up in China,
then, can't wait to read
Gravy

Post by Gravy »

It is one I hope to have the chance to re-read again later. If you do read it I hope you enjoy it as much as I did.

dickens 100
Currently Reading: The Italian Wife
Bookshelf Size: 39
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dickens-100.html

Post by dickens 100 »

I am definitely going to read it. Have you read Wild Swans, have read it a few times,and each time it is better than the last
Gravy

Post by Gravy »

I haven't, but I'm reading a lot of this kind of thing right now. I'll have to look into it.

I happened to find this used...had no plans to ever read it, but happened to decide to get it.
Definitely not disappointed.

ALynnPowers
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 417
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alynnpowers.html
Latest Review: Sarah's Dream by Eileen Bird
Reading Device: B0051QVF7A
Publishing Contest Votes: 13

Post by ALynnPowers »

Was this one of the books you read in your memoir streak? Sounds totally cute!
Gravy

Post by Gravy »

ALynnPowers wrote:Was this one of the books you read in your memoir streak? Sounds totally cute!
Yep :lol:
Some of it is very cute :D

ALynnPowers
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 417
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alynnpowers.html
Latest Review: Sarah's Dream by Eileen Bird
Reading Device: B0051QVF7A
Publishing Contest Votes: 13

Post by ALynnPowers »

As cute as one of my three-year-old boys who always wears a T-shirt to English class that says (in English):
LOCK UP YOUR DAUGHTERS

???

How can you get any cuter

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”