Official Review: Stones in the Road by Casey Bottono

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
tschojp
Currently Reading: Sapiens
Bookshelf Size: 114
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tschojp.html
Latest Review: "Stones in the Road" by Casey Bottono

Official Review: Stones in the Road by Casey Bottono

Post by tschojp »

[Following is the official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Stones in the Road" by Casey Bottono.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Reading Stones in the Road by Casey Bottono was an emotional experience. It is a collection of 16 poems she wrote with the theme of experiencing and overcoming loss. As the author mentions in the introduction, she dealt with the loss of two of her good friends at different times in her life and these poems are her “notes” on her experience. It is full of raw emotions and the different moods of each poem will pull the reader in so many different directions, much like the reality of dealing with loss. It's like an emotional rollercoaster of ups and downs as her poems show the reader that there are times of anger, sadness, and defeat, but there are also thin rays of hope that begin to peek through as time passes, providing moments of strength and new beginnings.

I rate this book 3 out of 4 stars. For the most part, I enjoyed reading her poems as they had a nice flow to them and I could feel the raw emotions that she was writing about. However, I understand that the theme of the book is dealing with loss, but I found the book as a whole to be a bit too depressing for my own taste, so I am not sure that this book will be widely accepted by everyone.

Everyone deals with loss differently and for someone who is currently overcoming loss or for those of us (or most of us) who have experienced loss in some way or another, reading this book may offer the chance to make connections with your own experience and find that you are not alone. I found that I could relate most with the poem titled “The Art of Forgiving,” as this poem could be applied to so many different situations, even outside the theme of dealing with loss.

However, in my opinion, this book might be best suited for those who have friends or family who are dealing with loss, as this will shed light on the some of the darker emotions that they may be dealing with. It can be hard to comfort someone in a situation like this since you can’t truly know everything that is going on in their minds.

With this book, perhaps we can gain a better idea of what it is like for those who are suffering the loss of a loved one. Or, for those who are the ones suffering, perhaps by reading these poems, you will find similarities with the “stones” in your own road and find the strength to overcome them.

Stones in the Road
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like tschojp's review? Post a comment saying so!
Latest Review: "Stones in the Road" by Casey Bottono
Rachaelamb1
Favorite Author: CS Lewis
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... onwitch</a>
Currently Reading: Falling Star
Bookshelf Size: 128
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rachaelamb1.html
Latest Review: "Dragon Born" by Ela Lourenco

Post by Rachaelamb1 »

Sounds like a comforting book for those who are going through loss.
Latest Review: "Dragon Born" by Ela Lourenco

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”