Official Review: Learning to Float by Allan Ament

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
NadineTimes10
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 3844">John Nielson Had a Daughter</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 127
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nadinetimes10.html
Latest Review: Joletta’s Dreams by Karen Craker Forester

Official Review: Learning to Float by Allan Ament

Post by NadineTimes10 »

[Following is the official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Learning to Float" by Allan Ament.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

In late 2005, I was a loving partner and spouse, a rational and analytical professional, and a socially active extrovert. This was good, but it wasn’t going to be enough.
In Learning to Float: Memoir of a Caregiver-Husband, author Allan Ament gives a transparent and thought-provoking account of his experience caring for his wife, Deloris, in the years after she suffers a stroke. In this narrative supplemented with select personal emails he wrote during those years, Ament describes his “pre-stroke” profession as a lawyer and his relationship with Deloris, a brilliant journalist, and how their “post-stroke” lives are changed.

In this introspective and intimate story, Ament conveys his journey in a progression that is focused, engaging, and, on the whole, simple to follow both logically and emotionally. He shares his struggle with the idea of asking others for help and illustrates the compassion his friends and neighbors extend to him and his wife during the “post-stroke” challenges and uncertainties they face. Especially compelling are Ament’s honest admissions about battling with his anger through all of this and the lessons he learns while doing so. He lets the reader in on moments with his wife that range from humorous to trying to touching, including the poignant story of their seventeenth wedding anniversary, which, I must say, put tears in this particular reader’s eyes.

Now, when an author intentionally repeats information over again for emphasis, a phrase like, “As I mentioned before” makes the intentionality clear so that the material does not seem merely repetitive. However, there are places in this memoir where the author relates the same information in a way that appears unintentional. For instance, a section in the Preface explains how sending daily emails to family and friends about his wife’s condition became Ament’s personal journaling that led to this book. Though the wording is a bit different, the same explanation of that process and his motivation for it is repeated in Chapter Seven.

Also, where some of the final portions of the book are concerned, the order is a little awkward. The Epilogue is followed by another closing section, the author’s Guidelines for Floating. That section is then followed by one more email. Thus, the memoir seems to have more than one conclusion. It may be preferable to ensure that important closing thoughts are mentioned either before or within an “epilogue,” as the very word signals to a reader that he or she has reached the end. The reader may naturally be on his or her way to mentally “checking out” of a book after receiving that ending signal, and so the impact of any facts or ideas included after that point may be lessened.

Overall, I give Learning to Float a rating of 3 out of 4 stars. Its minor flaws aside, it’s a well thought-out and inspiring narrative written in an intelligently detailed yet accessible style. I’d recommend this book to memoir enthusiasts as well as to any reader looking for an account that addresses learning and growing through life’s unexpected challenges.

Learning to Float
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon | on Barnes and Noble | on iTunes

Like NadineTimes10's review? Post a comment saying so!
bookowlie
Special Discussion Leader
Favorite Book: The Lost Continent
Currently Reading: The Night She Went Missing
Bookshelf Size: 442
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookowlie.html
Latest Review: To Paint A Murder by E. J. Gandolfo

Post by bookowlie »

Great review. I am glad you enjoyed the book, despite the awkward "multi-conclusion."
"The best way out is always through" - Robert Frost
NadineTimes10
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 3844">John Nielson Had a Daughter</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 127
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nadinetimes10.html
Latest Review: Joletta’s Dreams by Karen Craker Forester

Post by NadineTimes10 »

bookowlie wrote:Great review. I am glad you enjoyed the book, despite the awkward "multi-conclusion."
Thanks! Yes--I'm not sure I'd ever seen an ending like that before reading this one. Still, it was quite nice reading about people who are actually pretty local to me, the author mentioning names of places I'm familiar with. :)
bookowlie
Special Discussion Leader
Favorite Book: The Lost Continent
Currently Reading: The Night She Went Missing
Bookshelf Size: 442
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookowlie.html
Latest Review: To Paint A Murder by E. J. Gandolfo

Post by bookowlie »

That's an interesting bonus for you about the local setting!
"The best way out is always through" - Robert Frost

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”