Official Review: Survivor by Angela Caito

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Beth Davids
Favorite Author: Charles Dickens
Currently Reading: The Day Christ Died
Bookshelf Size: 111
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-beth-davids.html
Latest Review: "A Tale of the Legendary King and His Twin Princesses" by Genevieve Sarpong
fav_author_id: 2384

Official Review: Survivor by Angela Caito

Post by Beth Davids »

[Following is the official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Survivor" by Angela Caito.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Survivor is a memior of the author, Angela Caito. Angela found herself stuck in an abusive relationship with seemingly no hope for escape. The domestic violence related in this telling is not for the faint of heart. Sadly, it is real, and more people are victims of it than we can fully realize. Angela sets out to tell her story in the hopes that she can help someone else in the same situation. If you find yourself in an abusive situation or know of someone who needs this kind of help, this story is meant for you.

Distrustful of most men who cross her path, Angela is taken with a good-natured young man who treats her like a princess. However, David has had a troubled childhood, and he turns out to be quite unlike anything Angela supposes him capable. Being a good-natured person herself, she forgives him time and time again when he assures her things will get better. Unfortunately, this is not the case. Angela is pregnant with David’s child and finds herself unable to escape his clutches. She fears for her life and that of her unborn child who provides her with the only reason to live. She relates in detail many horrific experiences she faced, and how she survived through it all.

I have never come close to any relationship such as described in this story. It has made me see how truly blessed and rich my life is with loving family and friends. I am also grateful for a God who sees the suffering inflicted on His children by the devil and cares about each one of us. Although I’m quite sure Angela couldn’t see God much through her experiences, I believe He was behind each and every miracle she records.

Angela gives a warning to every person. She tells us to be very, very careful before committing ourselves to any kind of long-term relationship. “Check and double check” the life of your would-be companion. She says you owe it to yourself and the lives of your children. I couldn’t agree more with this. Be sure you know to what you are committing yourself.

Angela says in the beginning of her story that “Abusers don’t change no matter how hard we pray they will.” I don’t agree with this statement, because I believe that God can work the impossible. However I believe she was right in escaping him. Even if someone could change, that doesn’t mean that you have to stay with them and endure violence at their hands.

I generally am not captivated with stories that are not written with lots of dialogue and description. When reading Survivor, you get the feeling that you’re sitting on the couch next to Angela and she’s telling you what happened. It’s not written in the style that you’d find in a thriller novel. It’s more of a telling from one friend to the next, a recounting of events. However, the subject matter is enough to keep you turning the pages. I finished the book in just a few hours.

There are a few grammatical errors in this book, but overall, she writes well. I applaud her resilience and her willingness to expose her own humiliation to be of assistance to others. I rate this book 3 out of 4 stars because although a good story, I don’t believe it’s for everyone. Angela says, “…many things in this story could possibly be triggers for anxiety and depression so please read with caution.”

Survivor
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon | on Barnes and Noble

Like Beth Davids's review? Post a comment saying so!
Latest Review: "A Tale of the Legendary King and His Twin Princesses" by Genevieve Sarpong
zeldas_lullaby
Favorite Author: ---------
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... =3452">The Thorn Birds</a>
Currently Reading: The Last Stonestepper
Bookshelf Size: 79
Signature Addition: View official OnlineBookClub.org review of Forever Twelve

Post by zeldas_lullaby »

That's a great review, BethD. I really enjoyed reading it.

I appreciate the author's trigger warnings, as well as her warnings in general re: relationships.
Beth Davids
Favorite Author: Charles Dickens
Currently Reading: The Day Christ Died
Bookshelf Size: 111
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-beth-davids.html
fav_author_id: 2384

Post by Beth Davids »

Thank you! I'm glad you enjoyed it! I thought too that the author was very sensitive to the audience. She writes, not to make a splash, but simply to be of service to mankind. That's a worthy reason to write.
zeldas_lullaby
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... =3452">The Thorn Birds</a>

Post by zeldas_lullaby »

Beth Davids wrote:Thank you! I'm glad you enjoyed it! I thought too that the author was very sensitive to the audience. She writes, not to make a splash, but simply to be of service to mankind. That's a worthy reason to write.
That's beautiful. And you're right, that seems to have integrity. :-)
bookowlie
Special Discussion Leader
Favorite Book: The Lost Continent
Currently Reading: The Night She Went Missing
Bookshelf Size: 442
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookowlie.html
Latest Review: To Paint A Murder by E. J. Gandolfo

Post by bookowlie »

Nice, insightful review. I like how you pointed out all the little things you liked about the book.
"The best way out is always through" - Robert Frost
zeldas_lullaby

Post by zeldas_lullaby »

I really liked the part about checking and double-checking your future mate. Especially in today's world, wherein people seem to just jump head-first into a relationship, particularly with regards to living arrangements. Just WAIT and get to know the person! Hang out every day if you want, but don't be in a rush to move in! :angry-soapbox:

The author appears to have some authenticity about her topic. Her common-sense advice is stuff that people really should pay more attention to! :-)

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”