Official Review: Doomed Soul by Robert Boomsliter

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
zeldas_lullaby
Favorite Author: ---------
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... =3452">The Thorn Birds</a>
Currently Reading: The Last Stonestepper
Bookshelf Size: 79
Signature Addition: View official OnlineBookClub.org review of Forever Twelve

Re: Official Review: Doomed Soul by Robert Boomsliter

Post by zeldas_lullaby »

bookowlie wrote:
I am not familiar with the world of publishing. I always thought that an author had complete control over the cover, if if the book was being published by a major publisher. In any event, I don't place too much important on a cover until after I've read the book. Then I analyze the cover with what I've learned from reading the story.
That works for me. I could be completely wrong about this, but I don't think the author usually gets to choose the cover. They might get to yay or nay it, but I don't think they actually get to pick it.

Honestly, though, I don't know where I picked up that idea. You know how you just start assuming something and then you believe it as fact?
bookowlie
Special Discussion Leader
Favorite Book: The Lost Continent
Currently Reading: The Night She Went Missing
Bookshelf Size: 442
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookowlie.html
Latest Review: To Paint A Murder by E. J. Gandolfo

Post by bookowlie »

I think you are probably correct, that the publishing house picks the cover. Their employees are presumably experienced in marketing books, so they know what types of covers attract readers.
"The best way out is always through" - Robert Frost
zeldas_lullaby
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... =3452">The Thorn Birds</a>

Post by zeldas_lullaby »

That makes sense!

When left to my own devices to pick a cover, I'm like a kid in a candy store. Ooh, pretty lollipops! Growing in a lolly field! :roll:

HA HA. I am such a kid at heart. You know what would be funny? If I and this author--Boomsliter--switched covers. OK, my sedatives are clearly kicking in and I should not be allowed to post.
bookowlie

Post by bookowlie »

I actually think cover art is less important with e-books.
zeldas_lullaby

Post by zeldas_lullaby »

I've never thought about it. I collect paperbacks and love my collection! I guess you're right, though. And with an e-book, you don't even get the back cover.
bookowlie

Post by bookowlie »

I have read a few e-books that contained a back cover. Those covers were similar to one from a paper book.
TammyO
Favorite Author: Jane Austen
Favorite Book: Persuasion
Currently Reading: The Husbands Secret
Bookshelf Size: 131
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tammyo.html
Latest Review: "Double Identity" by Jaye C Blakemore
fav_author_id: 2379

Post by TammyO »

This sounds like a very interesting book. This author apparently feels very strongly about his beliefs and bares his soul, although dark, to the reader. I wouldn't mind reading some of this authors' work. This kind of work is very sensitive and will offend many readers if told in an insensitive way. Nevertheless, it sounds really nice, just somewhat harsh. Great review bookowlie.
"The difference between fiction and reality? Fiction has to make sense." ~Tom Clancy
Valleygirl1985
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Valleygirl1985 »

It's really too bad the sarcastic attitude threw off the book. It seemed kind of interesting. Really nice review!
bookowlie

Post by bookowlie »

TammyO wrote:This sounds like a very interesting book. This author apparently feels very strongly about his beliefs and bares his soul, although dark, to the reader. I wouldn't mind reading some of this authors' work. This kind of work is very sensitive and will offend many readers if told in an insensitive way. Nevertheless, it sounds really nice, just somewhat harsh. Great review bookowlie.
Thanks Tammy! Some sections are insensitive, but there are also some chapters that are interesting and thoughtful.

-- 27 Apr 2015, 23:42 --
Valleygirl1985 wrote:It's really too bad the sarcastic attitude threw off the book. It seemed kind of interesting. Really nice review!
Thanks Valleygirl!
TammyO
Favorite Author: Jane Austen
Favorite Book: Persuasion
Currently Reading: The Husbands Secret
Bookshelf Size: 131
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tammyo.html
fav_author_id: 2379

Post by TammyO »

I believe that there is something to gain from every book. I also respect the time and effort that the author has put into the book as well.
"The difference between fiction and reality? Fiction has to make sense." ~Tom Clancy
bookowlie

Post by bookowlie »

TammyO wrote:I believe that there is something to gain from every book. I also respect the time and effort that the author has put into the book as well.
I agree. On a related note, I've noticed that there have been several reviews recently about books that discuss religion.
bobboom

Post by bobboom »

There were a lot of comments about the cover. As I proceed to market "doomed Soul" I will be using this new version.
Robert Boomsliter
zeldas_lullaby

Post by zeldas_lullaby »

I like that cover a lot better. Good luck! :-)
bookowlie

Post by bookowlie »

bobboom wrote:There were a lot of comments about the cover. As I proceed to market "doomed Soul" I will be using this new version.
Robert Boomsliter
Best of luck in marketing the book. :) I also noticed you added a subtitle, unless I don't remember that it was there before. It's been a few months since I read the book. I think the subtitle will help in marketing the book.
bobboom

Post by bobboom »

I have a confession to make. I really expected a better rating on this review. The first few customer reviews posted on Amazon have been incredibly gratifying and seem to confirm that I am able to make a connection and communicate with the readers.

I understand now that I harbored some resentment. It manifested itself in a powerful urge to post a comment to this site, something along the lines that the cover quality is so important that the contents of the book can be essentially ignored (there's that Boomsliter sarcasm again.)

But I resisted the temptation because I don't want to be that kind of person. Bookowlie, I hope you will not be offended if I suggest that while you made a sincere effort to rise above your own beliefs in order to evaluate this effort, you could possibly do better.

Robert Boomsliter

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”