Official Review: Lucky Luciano by Christian Cipollini

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Cee-Jay Aurinko
Favorite Author: Stephen King
Favorite Book: The Dark Tower 1 - The Gunslinger
Bookshelf Size: 57
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cee-jay-aurinko.html
Latest Review: "Higgins Hotel" by Carla Coffman
fav_author_id: 2376

Official Review: Lucky Luciano by Christian Cipollini

Post by Cee-Jay Aurinko »

[Following is the official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Lucky Luciano" by Christian Cipollini.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Lucky Luciano: Mysterious Tales of a Gangland Legend is a true crime mystery novel by Christian Cipollini. It is not uncommon for people of regular status to look at the lives of big-name criminals with nothing but sheer admiration, and sometimes even envy. In the early twentieth century, people were fascinated with gangsters such as Al Capone, Frank Costello, and Charles "Lucky" Luciano. Today our fascination might be directed at local drug lords who captivate us with their power, wealth, and temerity towards the law. The author asks the question, "Why are we, the purveyors of pop culture and controversy, so enamored with their stories, exploits, and history?"

The tales of criminal masterminds are fun pass times for most readers, but the facts aren't always there to give us the real story. For years, researchers and historians have studied the lives of these criminal legends, one of them being the legend of Charles "Lucky" Luciano. Who is Lucky Luciano? According to the author, his role has been scrutinized and his tale has been debated about for nearly a century. "Some believe that he was the catalyst that changed the structure of organized crime, on a national level -- for the better." To answer this question, the author takes us through a series of tales revolving around both truth as well as gangland mythology.

Intended to raise questions rather than to provide answers, this novel makes for an interesting short-read about the rise and fall of mobster Lucky Luciano. The author makes use of quotes from other books on the subject of Luciano, newspaper articles, and various other materials to move his novel to its conclusion. The writing itself is remarkable and structured in such a way that you might confuse it with fiction. A few typos here and there didn't hurt my experience as I was too much intrigued by all the conspiracies surrounding Luciano; the origin of his moniker, crimes he may or may not have been involved in, etc.

I was only angry that the novel didn't include the least bit of information about Lucky's childhood. After a finite timeline shedding some light on major events in his life, the author starts off by mentioning the entire clan of "original gangsters" to help paint an image of this iconic figure in the history of organized crime. The author doesn't portray Luciano in any other way than the man he was -- a mobster bent on eradicating the "old school" Mafioso structure while unifying gangsters of all ethnic groups.

For lovers of true crime novels, this is an absolute must-have. People new to this genre will find the author's storytelling capabilities mixed with the tough subject of Luciano a well fit. With numerous photographs of iconic crime figures, their mistresses, and crime scene photos, this makes for wonderful, concise learning material for those who don't yet know anything about this legendary gangster. The author stated early on in the novel why he wrote the novel the way he did, and why there are some things about Luciano the world will never know. My rating is 4 out of 4.

Lucky Luciano
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon | on Barnes and Noble

Like Leon Durham's review? Post a comment saying so!
"Might as well drink the ocean with a spoon as argue with a lover." -- The Dark Tower 2, Stephen King
Janiac02
Favorite Author: Sarah Woodbury
Favorite Book: Pride and Prejudice
Currently Reading: After Cilmeri Series
Bookshelf Size: 38
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-janiac02.html
Latest Review: "A Cold Wind" by C. J. Brightley
fav_author_id: 3314

Post by Janiac02 »

Have you had an opportunity to look at the Amazon page for this book? You are briefly quoted in the editorial reviews section. That's pretty cool!

I really enjoyed reading your review. I tend to shy away from non-fiction reading, but I've been trying to expand past reading only from my very favorite genres. This sounds like it would be worth reading.
Latest Review: "A Cold Wind" by C. J. Brightley
GoddessOfWords
Currently Reading: Wordscapist, The Myth
Bookshelf Size: 3

Post by GoddessOfWords »

Great example of a well-written review.
:)
Jesska6029
Favorite Author: J.K. Rowling
Favorite Book: The Harry Potter series
Currently Reading: It and Mr. Mercedes
Bookshelf Size: 279
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jesska6029.html
Latest Review: "Texaners: Eight Short Stories" by T. F. Rhoden
fav_author_id: 1778

Post by Jesska6029 »

Great Review! I love crime and mystery novels. I have never read a nonfiction crime book. I'm going to add this to my list!
“Some failure in life is inevitable. It is impossible to live without failing at something, unless you live so cautiously that you might as well not have lived at all—in which case, you fail by default.” ~J.K. Rowling
Latest Review: "Texaners: Eight Short Stories" by T. F. Rhoden
bookowlie
Special Discussion Leader
Favorite Book: The Lost Continent
Currently Reading: The Night She Went Missing
Bookshelf Size: 442
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookowlie.html
Latest Review: To Paint A Murder by E. J. Gandolfo

Post by bookowlie »

Nice, insightful review! I like true crime books and Lucky Luciano sounds like he was a fascinating person.
"The best way out is always through" - Robert Frost
car dealer
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by car dealer »

If you like mob or Mafia books try a book I just read called Dirty Money by Joe LaFratta. It is about his life in the Boston mob but it is not like any other mafia book I have ever read. It does not glorify the life and in fact does the exact opposite. It is a good story and the guy has a great ending that doesn't end up with him being a rat or killing someone... LOL
bookowlie
Special Discussion Leader
Favorite Book: The Lost Continent
Currently Reading: The Night She Went Missing
Bookshelf Size: 442
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookowlie.html
Latest Review: To Paint A Murder by E. J. Gandolfo

Post by bookowlie »

Car dealer - Thanks for the recommendation.
"The best way out is always through" - Robert Frost
Cee-Jay Aurinko

@car dealer

Thanks; I've actually never read a fiction book revolving around the mafia book before. Promise to take a look at your recommendation as soon as I can.
"Might as well drink the ocean with a spoon as argue with a lover." -- The Dark Tower 2, Stephen King
car dealer
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by car dealer »

Sorry if i confused anyone regarding Dirty Money. It is not a work of fiction. I dont think any books about modern gangsters will ever be as flashy as the glory days of the mafia but I do like reading about the current decline of the mafia and how something that was once so powerful has now become mostly guys just telling on each othe .
Cee-Jay Aurinko

@car dealer

Thanks for the heads up.
chytach18-
Favorite Author: John Fowles
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 3">Strange Case of Dr Jekill and Mr Hyde</a>
Currently Reading: Dark Corners
Bookshelf Size: 98
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chytach18.html
Latest Review: "Smiling Exercises, and Other Stories" by Dan Malakin
fav_author_id: 2947

Post by chytach18- »

A combination of mystery, crime and true events regarding a real criminal personality is very interesting writing. From your review it seems that the author had managed it very well.
Latest Review: "Smiling Exercises, and Other Stories" by Dan Malakin
Cee-Jay Aurinko

@chytack18

He did. If you like these types of books, you should definitely give it a try. Although I wrote this review a while ago, I still remember the good parts, which includes a timeline of events concerning Lucky, the myths surrounding the origin of his name, and a huge collection of photographs of all those larger than life mafioso of the 60s. I don't know why reading a book or watching a movie about the old school Mafia is so fun, but they just are. And the author even explains our fascination with them in the beginning, sounding very believable.
Booklooker
Currently Reading: Island Games
Bookshelf Size: 15

Post by Booklooker »

I love true crime. I love the review and will add this toy list of books to read in 2016.
kimmyschemy06
Currently Reading: The Searching Three
Bookshelf Size: 694
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kimmyschemy06.html
Latest Review: Kazi Boku by M. Poyhonen

Post by kimmyschemy06 »

I read the Godfather book series by Mario Puzo and I enjoyed them. Now this one sounds really really interesting. Great review! Congratulations to Christian Cipollini for such a well-written book.

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”