Official Review: The Broken Gift by Daniel friedmann

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Dando
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dando.html
Latest Review: "The Broken Gift" by Daniel friedmann

Official Review: The Broken Gift by Daniel friedmann

Post by Dando »

[Following is the official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Broken Gift" by Daniel friedmann.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The Broken Gift by Daniel Friedman is a standalone sequel to his first book, The Genesis One Code. Though they are written as a series, the author assures readers that they can be read independently or in any order. I cannot comment on this claim as I have not yet read the first installment. Both books aim to reconcile biblical text and scientific findings to prove that one truth is evident through both lenses. His evidence includes many topics, but is largely based in a biblical clock formula used to reconcile the seemingly contradictory time lines used in biblical texts and scientific scholarship. Both texts focus on creation stories, specifically attempting to reconcile Genesis with current scientific findings. It is my understanding that The Broken Gift further elaborates on many ideas presented in its precursor and expands to focus on the origin of humans.

Friedman’s qualifications for tackling such a complex and controversial topic are a life of practice and intellectual curiosity in his Jewish faith and a formal education and career in the sciences. Friedman is an author, engineer, and CEO with a passion for exploring the relationship between religion and science.

The Broken Gift is structured in a well organized and approachable manner. The book opens with an attention grabbing introduction to the many complexities of this topic. It then flows into the history of the controversy between science, religion, and the origin of human kind. The thesis is further supported with evidence from scientific research, the Torah, and Genesis. Then Friedman explains his formula for converting Human time to Divine time, with which he is able to draw parallels between biblical teachings and scientific findings. The rest of the book uses this foundation to identify and explain these parallels, covering a wide range of topics including humanity, the flood, and the development of language.

I give this book 3 out of 4 stars. It is well written and approachable for anyone from any background. I am withholding one star because I this book does not conclusively deliver on its very big promises. It is a great introduction to a very interesting topic. However, this book seems to promise an easy fix to one of the biggest controversies in human history in a mere 260 pages. That big promise left me feeling skeptical the whole time I was reading. There is not nearly enough evidence to bring science and religion together definitively. Rather it provides a fascinating and well researched perspective and a very admirable attempt to bring peace to one of the greatest debates in human history.

The Broken Gift is a great read that I would recommend to anyone with interest in the relationship between religion and science or in the origins of humankind. Furthermore, I would highly recommend this book to those with polarized beliefs as it may provide an interesting and fresh perspective to consider. One thing is for sure, no matter your beliefs, this book will give everyone something to think about. I can’t say I am convinced yet, but I thoroughly enjoyed this book and look forward to further researching the topic and reading more from Friedman.

The Broken Gift
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Dando's review? Post a comment saying so!
Latest Review: "The Broken Gift" by Daniel friedmann
Jesska6029
Favorite Author: J.K. Rowling
Favorite Book: The Harry Potter series
Currently Reading: It and Mr. Mercedes
Bookshelf Size: 279
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jesska6029.html
Latest Review: "Texaners: Eight Short Stories" by T. F. Rhoden
fav_author_id: 1778

Post by Jesska6029 »

Nice review. Well-written and informative!
“Some failure in life is inevitable. It is impossible to live without failing at something, unless you live so cautiously that you might as well not have lived at all—in which case, you fail by default.” ~J.K. Rowling
Latest Review: "Texaners: Eight Short Stories" by T. F. Rhoden
bookowlie
Special Discussion Leader
Favorite Book: The Lost Continent
Currently Reading: The Night She Went Missing
Bookshelf Size: 442
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookowlie.html
Latest Review: To Paint A Murder by E. J. Gandolfo

Post by bookowlie »

I enjoyed reading your review. The book sounds very interesting. However, I agree with you about being skeptical of a book that promises to bring science and religion together.
"The best way out is always through" - Robert Frost
Cee-Jay Aurinko
Favorite Author: Stephen King
Favorite Book: The Dark Tower 1 - The Gunslinger
Bookshelf Size: 57
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cee-jay-aurinko.html
Latest Review: "Higgins Hotel" by Carla Coffman
fav_author_id: 2376

Post by Cee-Jay Aurinko »

I've watched a documentary on this topic not so long ago. A book would be something new. I must say though science and religion will never be brought together, no matter what anyone says. One is based on faith, the other on fact.

Your review is great and easy to read, thanx!
"Might as well drink the ocean with a spoon as argue with a lover." -- The Dark Tower 2, Stephen King
Latest Review: "Higgins Hotel" by Carla Coffman

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”