Official Review: Going Below The Water's Edge

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
RussetDivinity
Bookshelf Size: 44
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-russetdivinity.html
Latest Review: "Heart of Flint" by Scott Stricklen

Re: Official Review: Going Below The Water's Edge

Post by RussetDivinity »

I probably won't pick this book up because I tend toward being a skeptic about things like hypnosis and past lives, though I am intrigued by the fact that the book doesn't present and argument either for or against. I also found this to be a very well-written review.
Latest Review: "Heart of Flint" by Scott Stricklen
bookowlie
Special Discussion Leader
Favorite Book: The Lost Continent
Currently Reading: The Night She Went Missing
Bookshelf Size: 442
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookowlie.html
Latest Review: To Paint A Murder by E. J. Gandolfo

Post by bookowlie »

PashaRu wrote:
Cheslynne Baxter wrote:Hi.

I read your review and concluded that it was okay. I repeat: okay. It could've been a little bit better. Don't get me wrong, there's nothing wrong with your review in general, but I spotted an important detail missing from this review you left out.

In the beginning, you mention that Ron is an author, not just the author of this book. So the question is: what other books does Ron have under his belt? Did he accumulate any awards over the past years?

The summary of the book is good though; sounds interesting enough. And everything else is fine. Just that minor detail about Ron...

Don't smack yourself though--I often make mistakes like this. So if you're reading my reviews, feel free to point out all my fault. After all, we can only learn and get better, right?
@ Cheslynne Baxter: Firstly, I would like to welcome you to the site. There is much to see and explore here, and I think you'll enjoy both the information and community. Thank you for contributing to the forums.

ALynnPowers was very gracious in her reply. However, as an editor on this site, I wish to point out that there are specific criteria for reviews on OBC, and mentioning authors' previous works or awards is not one of them. This does not constitute a mistake. Of course, if a reviewer wishes to include this in his/her review, that is fine. Again, it's not a requirement. We have several very capable reviewers - ALynnPowers is among them - and each has his/her own style and approach. This variety provides, not only an excellent resource for authors, but a fertile environment for all in the community to learn and improve. The criteria are not so stringent that creativity is quashed. At the same time, some reviews are not published because they do not meet the requirements. All reviews go through this screening process. This helps to ensure a consistent, high level of quality which will attract authors to OBC.

Again, welcome to the site, and we look forward to your contributions as well!
PashaRu - I am also an editor on this site, and you took the words right out of my mouth.

-- 25 Feb 2015, 12:13 --

ALynn - Excellent review. You brought up a lot of good points, particularly that some parts of the book are repetitive. The subject matter does seem fascinating, so I may add this book to my reading list.
"The best way out is always through" - Robert Frost
ALynnPowers
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 417
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alynnpowers.html
Latest Review: Sarah's Dream by Eileen Bird
Reading Device: B0051QVF7A
Publishing Contest Votes: 13

Post by ALynnPowers »

PashaRu wrote:I like that the book doesn't dogmatically try to preach some particular belief, and your review reflects that same tone. Nice, objective handling of the subject.
I liked that as well. Even though there are lots and lots of religious references in the book (in the parts that weren't a transcript of the tapes), it felt more like, "Hey, look what Jesus said," or "Look at this Buddhist proverb," and in no way trying to tell you what you should or shouldn't believe.
Stevefromtheblock
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stevefromtheblock.html
Latest Review: "Short Shorts" by Alex Apostol

Post by Stevefromtheblock »

What an interesting idea for a book! Even if you don't believe too much in reincarnation, it still seems interesting.
Latest Review: "Short Shorts" by Alex Apostol
ALynnPowers
Currently Reading:

Post by ALynnPowers »

Stevefromtheblock wrote:What an interesting idea for a book! Even if you don't believe too much in reincarnation, it still seems interesting.
A friend of mine actually did a hypnosis like this to find out about her past lives. It turns out, I was there with her in her previous life, according to what she said while under hypnosis! That's why I was so interested in reading this.
bookowlie
Special Discussion Leader
Favorite Book: The Lost Continent
Currently Reading: The Night She Went Missing
Bookshelf Size: 442
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookowlie.html
Latest Review: To Paint A Murder by E. J. Gandolfo

Post by bookowlie »

ALynnPowers wrote:
Stevefromtheblock wrote:What an interesting idea for a book! Even if you don't believe too much in reincarnation, it still seems interesting.
A friend of mine actually did a hypnosis like this to find out about her past lives. It turns out, I was there with her in her previous life, according to what she said while under hypnosis! That's why I was so interested in reading this.
It's always a good thing if you are interested in the subject matter of a book. As for you being in your friend's previous life, that is a little weird. :shock: :shock:
"The best way out is always through" - Robert Frost
ALynnPowers
Currently Reading:

Post by ALynnPowers »

bookowlie wrote:
ALynnPowers wrote:
It's always a good thing if you are interested in the subject matter of a book. As for you being in your friend's previous life, that is a little weird. :shock: :shock:
No, here is the weird part! She said that she met an Asian man while she was there. He called himself her "hero" and she saw a Chinese/Japanese character. Later, she wrote out the character best as she could and sent it to me, asking if it meant "hero." It didn't, as far as I knew, but I later asked my boyfriend if he knew the character. His response: "Hey, that's my dad's name! Hiro." (Sounds like "hero")
His dad died like 15 years ago.
So creepy! But awesome at the same time.
Margjohns51
Favorite Author: Lewis Carroll
Favorite Book: Through the Looking Glass
Currently Reading: Genius by James Gleick
Bookshelf Size: 27
fav_author_id: 3309

Post by Margjohns51 »

The subject of this book is one of my favorites, and I very much enjoyed reading your review. I am tempted to put this book on my list of books I want to read... but not near the top, because I think I might be frustrated with the repetitive hypnotic suggestions as you seem to have been. Nice review, very informative.

-- 06 Mar 2015, 15:24 --

The subject of this book is one of my favorites, and I very much enjoyed reading your review. I am tempted to put this book on my list of books I want to read... but not near the top, because I think I might be frustrated with the repetitive hypnotic suggestions as you seem to have been. Nice review, very informative.
ALynnPowers
Currently Reading:

Post by ALynnPowers »

Thanks for this comment as well marg. Sounds like the two of us have a lot of the same tastes in books. :)
Gravy
Gravymaster of Bookshelves
Favorite Author: Seanan McGuire
Favorite Book: As many as there are stars in the sky
Currently Reading: The Ghost Tree
Bookshelf Size: 1027
fav_author_id: 3249

Post by Gravy »

ALynnPowers wrote:
bookowlie wrote:
ALynnPowers wrote:A friend of mine actually did a hypnosis like this to find out about her past lives. It turns out, I was there with her in her previous life, according to what she said while under hypnosis! That's why I was so interested in reading this.
No, here is the weird part! She said that she met an Asian man while she was there. He called himself her "hero" and she saw a Chinese/Japanese character. Later, she wrote out the character best as she could and sent it to me, asking if it meant "hero." It didn't, as far as I knew, but I later asked my boyfriend if he knew the character. His response: "Hey, that's my dad's name! Hiro." (Sounds like "hero")
I've heard sooo many stories like this one! Awesome 8)
Pronouns: She/Her

What is grief, if not love persevering?

Grief is just love with no place to go.
ALynnPowers
Currently Reading:

Post by ALynnPowers »

Graverobber wrote:
ALynnPowers wrote:No, here is the weird part! She said that she met an Asian man while she was there. He called himself her "hero" and she saw a Chinese/Japanese character. Later, she wrote out the character best as she could and sent it to me, asking if it meant "hero." It didn't, as far as I knew, but I later asked my boyfriend if he knew the character. His response: "Hey, that's my dad's name! Hiro." (Sounds like "hero")
I've heard sooo many stories like this one! Awesome 8)
It really scared me, actually! I mean, I thought the stuff she was saying about being friends with me in the previous life was just because we had been talking recently and she was admittedly kind of jealous about my going to Japan because she had always wanted to do something like that but now she couldn't because she had her daughter to think about. But then the whole Hiro thing. I didn't even know about that! How could she have?!?!
Gravy

Post by Gravy »

It's actually a popular theory in reincarnation that you come back with the same group of people every time.
Great news for some. Tragic news for others :lol:

ALynnPowers
Currently Reading:

Post by ALynnPowers »

Graverobber wrote:It's actually a popular theory in reincarnation that you come back with the same group of people every time.
Great news for some. Tragic news for others :lol:
I've heard that as well.
I think that might also explain why I have felt like I didn't "fit in" with the people around me... there was somehow a mix-up in the reincarnation department and I got sent to the wrong time/place. I only rediscovered my proper place thanks to the internet and moving across the world. :)
Gravy

Post by Gravy »

Total LOL!!! :text-lol:
Paperwork must have gotten lost ;)
You could always file a complaint...but the lines are terrible!

ALynnPowers
Currently Reading:

Post by ALynnPowers »

I know! All those dead souls every second! It's almost as bad as the DMV!

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”