How To Care For Aging Parents

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
katryan
Currently Reading: The Miniaturist
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-katryan.html

How To Care For Aging Parents

Post by katryan »

How to Care for Aging Parents, does not sugar coat what you are up against, it does not make the process seem any easier then it is. However, it is extremely comforting knowing that I am not alone. That I am not horrible for feeling some of the things that I have felt throughout this process. That I am not selfish for thinking a few of the things that I have thought.

It guides you through the process, starting with having that first step. Walking you though some of the scenarios that you might be faced with. Everything with talking to your parents, to how to help financially, to when to make medical decisions. I love that it also lays out some “traps” that you might fall into. IE- now that you are taking care of your parents, how you might start to treat them more like children; rather then the adults (with more experience then you) they are now. I know that was one we fell into a lot. It was just easier to tell them what to do and make a decision, rather then trying to explain a complex issue, then answer a hundred questions, get their input and then go with what we thought in the first place. But they are adults, capable of making their own choices; and deserve the respect as your parents. This book showed us how to better talk with them, and since then our relationship is so much better with them.

If you are dealing with an aging parent, or will be, then you need to pick up a copy of this book. It really will make the process so much easier.
jazziemommie
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jazziemommie.html
Latest Review: "Noise" by Brett Garcia Rose

Post by jazziemommie »

katryan wrote:How to Care for Aging Parents, does not sugar coat what you are up against, it does not make the process seem any easier then it is. However, it is extremely comforting knowing that I am not alone. That I am not horrible for feeling some of the things that I have felt throughout this process. That I am not selfish for thinking a few of the things that I have thought.

It guides you through the process, starting with having that first step. Walking you though some of the scenarios that you might be faced with. Everything with talking to your parents, to how to help financially, to when to make medical decisions. I love that it also lays out some “traps” that you might fall into. IE- now that you are taking care of your parents, how you might start to treat them more like children; rather then the adults (with more experience then you) they are now. I know that was one we fell into a lot. It was just easier to tell them what to do and make a decision, rather then trying to explain a complex issue, then answer a hundred questions, get their input and then go with what we thought in the first place. But they are adults, capable of making their own choices; and deserve the respect as your parents. This book showed us how to better talk with them, and since then our relationship is so much better with them.

If you are dealing with an aging parent, or will be, then you need to pick up a copy of this book. It really will make the process so much easier.
Thanks for sharing your review. It sounds like a helpful reference that I need to read in preparing to deal with my folks. My husband and I are both only children so we are under a lot of stress dealing with both of our sets of parents. We cared for my Mother-in-Law for six years until cancer took. We really didn't read any reference or self-help books - we were just "winging" it. Next up is my father and my mother and step-father. It's a lot of pressure.
Latest Review: "Noise" by Brett Garcia Rose
katryan
Currently Reading: The Miniaturist
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-katryan.html

Post by katryan »

My husband is an only child too.. It is a lot of pressure. Last year we winged it too, with his mother and it was so hard. This book would have been so helpful. And moving forward it very helpful with his dad.

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”