Lena Dunham's memoir--WARNING sensitive topics

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
zeldas_lullaby
Favorite Author: ---------
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... =3452">The Thorn Birds</a>
Currently Reading: The Last Stonestepper
Bookshelf Size: 79
Signature Addition: View official OnlineBookClub.org review of Forever Twelve

Lena Dunham's memoir--WARNING sensitive topics

Post by zeldas_lullaby »

Book Owlie and I were discussing this, so I thought I'd start a thread. First of all, what was Lena Dunham thinking when she wrote her memoir? Second, is it credible, and should memoirs in general have a certain credibility to them? Third, should memoirs include a certain amount of personal growth, and does What This Girl "Learned" include any? Fourth, did Lena Dunham have any responsibility to warn people about the content of her memoir? Fifth, was she shocked by the backlash, or is it what she was seeking in the first place? Let's keep it vague, but I wanted to put a warning to anyone sensitive to the topics she writes about.
bookowlie
Special Discussion Leader
Favorite Book: The Lost Continent
Currently Reading: The Night She Went Missing
Bookshelf Size: 442
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookowlie.html
Latest Review: To Paint A Murder by E. J. Gandolfo

Post by bookowlie »

Here's my 2 cents. I don't know if I have answered your questions in the correct order....I am having my morning coffee :)

A) She is a celebrity and wants more attention. Don't they all?!
B) She probably got a big advance payment for writing the book, and the publisher and/or editor told her she needs to have "sizzle" or controversial parts. That's why I think she wrote about "exploring" with her little sister and the supposed date rape at college.
c) Memoirs should have a certain credibility to them, as should all non-fiction books. I think the publisher had a responsibility to do some fact-checking on the controversial parts.
D) I don't think memoirs have to include a certain amount of personal growth. In this case, I think the title of Ms. Dunham's book makes the reader assume there will be some personal growth included.
E) I don't know if she was shocked by the backlash, since I think she likes being surrounded by controversy. She seems to thrive on controversy, and frequently likes to make controversial comments in the media about different things. However, I do think she was shocked by the level of the backlash. I haven't read the book, but I think the sales of the book were affected by the credibility questions. It reminded me a little of the credibility issues surrounding James Frey's memoir, A Million Little Pieces. Oprah picked the book for her book club, and then she came down really hard on him.
"The best way out is always through" - Robert Frost
zeldas_lullaby
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... =3452">The Thorn Birds</a>

Post by zeldas_lullaby »

A) I never thought about it (I must be really dense), but I suppose celebrities do all want attention!
B) "Sizzle." Hm... I'm wondering if I had a publisher who wanted "sizzle," what would I give him?
C) I completely agree with this, but what I don't understand is how that fact-checking doesn't happen. What are they thinking? If they've got a big name, doesn't it occur to them that they need to verify things? Like, what if Amy Poehler's memoir "outed" Tina Fey as really being a man? It just seems that someone is sleeping at the wheel, you know? I just can't grasp how Dunham's memoir got published with no concern for public outcry.
D) Actually, Dunham's memoir kind of reminded me of the Rabbit books by John Updike. No insight, no awareness, no nothing, almost to the point where that in and of itself makes it worth reading, if you're a psychology student. My mom got it for my sister for Christmas, and my sister is studying social work.
E) What you wrote there explains a lot to me. I remember the Frey scandal. Do NOT cross the Oprah! She scares me. A lot. <Shudder.>
bookowlie
Special Discussion Leader
Favorite Book: The Lost Continent
Currently Reading: The Night She Went Missing
Bookshelf Size: 442
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookowlie.html
Latest Review: To Paint A Murder by E. J. Gandolfo

Post by bookowlie »

Very insightful post. It almost makes me want to read the book.
Do not cross the Oprah" ha ha ha
Wait until Lena Dunham makes some obnoxious comment about Oprah and watch the fallout.
"The best way out is always through" - Robert Frost
amybo82
Favorite Author: David Sedaris
Favorite Book: cannot pick just one
Currently Reading: Calypso
Bookshelf Size: 1517
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amybo82.html
Latest Review: The Adventures of The Gorilla Billies by Mark J Stopford
Reading Device: B00TA9FD2M
Publishing Contest Votes: 17
fav_author_id: 2790

Post by amybo82 »

I was less than impressed with this one. It's frustrating because if this book had been by any other author, I probably would've stopped reading a couple of chapters in. I respond to books where I either really like or really dislike the characters (or, in the case of non-fiction, the people, I guess). I found myself mostly just not caring about Dunham or anyone in her book. I think it's important to note that she's a priveleged, upper class white New York girl with liberal parents who summered at her lake home, attended exclusive camps, and had to make appearances at fancy art openings at a young age. She seemed burdened with first world problems and trying to be alternative.
I think she probably used poetic license when writing the book, and any time I read a memoir, I take it with a grain of salt. I was burned by James Frey right along with Oprah, and since then, I've been less trusting of the stories that people tell of their own lives. Don't get me wrong--I love memoirs, and I'll continue to read them, but I will also be reserved about what I actually believe.
I didn't know about the controversy surrounding the book before I read it, but I think controversy helps books sell! I also think that college rape is an extremely hot topic right now, and she jumped in to talk about it. Actually, I thought this was one redeeming quality of the book. She speaks candidly and honestly to bring sensitive topics to light. I don't think it is the responsibility of any author to warn people about the contents of their books. All kinds of people find all kinds of things offensive. Do all Peanuts books need to have a warning that say "This book contains the word blockhead!"? To me, that's just another form of censorship. If you're someone who is easily offended, it's up to you to do the research--read reviews, find out about the author, etc.--before you commit to reading a book. And, if you start reading and you don't like it, you can always stop!
A book is a dream that you hold in your hand. –Neil Gaiman
zeldas_lullaby

Post by zeldas_lullaby »

I respectfully disagree, although I understand where you're coming from. Yeah, people should do research and make sure that a book isn't going to offend them, and yes, anyone can quit reading something at any time. All good points. I think there should be warnings, though, but not for just anything. But I've heard that sexual-abuse victims need to have something called "trigger" warnings, and the stuff with her sister, not to mention discussing college rape, seems to merit that.
On the other hand, of course you're right that all kinds of people find all kinds of things offensive. I'm certainly not into censorship, and it would be hard to draw the line on what would merit a warning, but it reminds me of the way movies are rated PG-13, R, etc., but books aren't. You know going into a movie without having to do any research, "Oh, the movie is rated R, so it might offend me." But there's no equal system for books, just an "age-range" thing. (Middle grades, YA, etc.) That doesn't equate, though, at being an adult and being able to read anything without being offended. For example, I can't go see an R movie, because I am easily offended, but books don't carry that warning on them.
Hm. Interesting conversation!

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”