Official Review: Who Am I? How My Daughter Taught Me To ...

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
ALynnPowers
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 417
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alynnpowers.html
Latest Review: Sarah's Dream by Eileen Bird
Reading Device: B0051QVF7A
Publishing Contest Votes: 13

Official Review: Who Am I? How My Daughter Taught Me To ...

Post by ALynnPowers »

[Following is the official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Who Am I? How My Daughter Taught Me To Let Go and Live Again" by Megan Cyrulewski.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Who Am I? How My Daughter Taught Me to Let Go and Live Again by Megan Cyrulewski is the non-fiction account of one woman’s experience dealing with anxiety disorder, post-partum depression, an emotionally abusive relationship with a narcissist, and a drawn-out custody battle. Told through the eyes of the author, this book provides a very factual account of the prominent events of her life, with very little subjective input.

The book begins with the story of how Megan met the man she married and how their relationship didn’t get off to the best start. Already suffering from panic attacks and anxiety disorder, her new relationship with narcissistic Tyler only decreased her feeling of self worth. However, being in love, she didn’t realize the toxicity of the relationship at the time. After their marriage, things only went downhill, with mountains of Tyler’s debt suddenly Megan’s responsibility. With the fortunate help from Megan’s parents, they were able to get back on their feet, and Megan was finally able to enter law school.

Then Megan got pregnant, and the situation worsened. Tyler wanted a baby at first, but his family’s lack of acceptance of his being a parent suddenly changed his attitude. When baby Madelyne was born, Tyler further distanced himself from both his wife and daughter, and he even began advising his friends to never have children. Suffering from post-partum depression, Megan ended up in a psychiatric facility, which helped her see that she needed to protect her daughter and escape from her abusive marriage. Following her divorce, Megan’s life began to revolve around nothing more than court cases as she fought to keep her daughter safe from the man who had caused her so much pain.

I couldn’t put this book down. I was drawn to it from the moment I read the description, having personally experienced similar events in my own life, and reading about Megan’s experience was one of the greatest things I have ever done. Other reviews of this book have stated that there is no “woe is me” or “I’m the victim” feel to this tale, and those reviews are absolutely accurate. A few times I wanted to question if Tyler’s behavior was really as bad as she made it out to be, but Megan didn’t omit her own faults and mistakes in her telling of the story. It’s easy to see how these are real people and real experiences. The story is powerful, emotional, and heart-wrenching. I could easily feel Megan’s frustration as she dealt with Tyler’s non-stop, nonsensical behavior, and her patience and strength should be commemorated.

I absolutely loved everything about this book, and I can’t think of anything negative to say about it. If I had to offer any constructive criticism, it would be that I would like to see three things added to this book. First, I wish there had been more about Megan’s personal feelings while dealing with anxiety disorder and post-partum depression. While I can personally relate to this, others who have no experience might not see the strength and courage it takes to seek help when you feel like your own mind is betraying you. Second, I would like to have seen more about Madelyne within the story. There is a great description of her at the end of the book, but I wish I could have known more about her development as the other events were taking place. Third, and most importantly, I wish there had been a warning on this book to let me know just how emotional this story really is. People who deal with anxiety disorders should be aware that the events told in this book might trigger their own panic attacks. I mention this last one as a means to further compliment the excellent way the book is written.

As it is, I give Who Am I? How My Daughter Taught Me to Let Go and Live Again by Megan Cyrulewski an overall rating of 4 out of 4 stars. I would highly recommend this book to anyone who enjoys non-fiction, or to anyone who has had any experience in dealing with any of the problems that Megan had to face.

Buy "Who Am I? How My Daughter Taught Me To Let Go and Live Again" on Amazon
Buy "Who Am I? How My Daughter Taught Me To Let Go and Live Again" on Barnes and Noble
Gravy
Gravymaster of Bookshelves
Favorite Author: Seanan McGuire
Favorite Book: As many as there are stars in the sky
Currently Reading: The Ghost Tree
Bookshelf Size: 1027
fav_author_id: 3249

Post by Gravy »

Sounds inspiring
Pronouns: She/Her

What is grief, if not love persevering?

Grief is just love with no place to go.
ALynnPowers
Currently Reading:

Post by ALynnPowers »

It truly is. I wish I could have read it about five years ago. It would have helped more then. (But it hadn't happened yet!)
Gravy
Gravymaster of Bookshelves
Favorite Author: Seanan McGuire
Favorite Book: As many as there are stars in the sky
Currently Reading: The Ghost Tree
Bookshelf Size: 1027
fav_author_id: 3249

Post by Gravy »

It's so sad that these things happen
But it makes for stronger people
Think of the wonderfully strong mother that little girl has
Pronouns: She/Her

What is grief, if not love persevering?

Grief is just love with no place to go.
ALynnPowers
Currently Reading:

Post by ALynnPowers »

She definitely is, I think!

I wish there was an update about what happened after this book was published. And I wonder what the ex thought about this story being shared! :shock:
Skillian
Bookshelf Size: 102
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-skillian.html
Latest Review: "The Christ Killer" by Robert Attenborough

Post by Skillian »

Thanks for the review. Sounds good! Definitely beautiful and inspiring. And I love your enthusiasm while reviewing it. *puts it on reading list*
I love LOVE. <3
PashaRu
Currently Reading: Vicars of Christ - The Dark Side of the Papacy
Bookshelf Size: 191
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-pasharu.html
Latest Review: "Damn Females on the Lawn" by Rachel Hurd

Post by PashaRu »

Great review, ALynn. It's obvious that the book really affected you. I'm sorry that you have had experiences similar to those in the book, but it seems like it helped you a lot. Anyway, a well-written review!
[Insert quote here. Read. Raise an eyebrow. Be mildly amused. Rinse & repeat.]
Latest Review: "Damn Females on the Lawn" by Rachel Hurd
ALynnPowers
Currently Reading:

Post by ALynnPowers »

PashaRu wrote:Great review, ALynn. It's obvious that the book really affected you. I'm sorry that you have had experiences similar to those in the book, but it seems like it helped you a lot. Anyway, a well-written review!
Thanks for the compliments!
mcyrulewski
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by mcyrulewski »

Thank you so much for the awesome review! And a big thanks to everyone who commented on my book. I do occasionally write updates through my blog if you want to know what happened after the Epilogue. :)

Happy Holidays!
ALynnPowers
Currently Reading:

Post by ALynnPowers »

mcyrulewski wrote:Thank you so much for the awesome review! And a big thanks to everyone who commented on my book. I do occasionally write updates through my blog if you want to know what happened after the Epilogue. :)

Happy Holidays!
Thank you for sharing your story!
I figured there was a blog or something somewhere, but I didn't want to feel like a stalker. ;)
bookowlie
Special Discussion Leader
Favorite Book: The Lost Continent
Currently Reading: The Night She Went Missing
Bookshelf Size: 442
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookowlie.html
Latest Review: To Paint A Murder by E. J. Gandolfo

Post by bookowlie »

Great, thoughtful review. I am adding this book to my reading list for 2015.
"The best way out is always through" - Robert Frost
RussetDivinity
Bookshelf Size: 44
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-russetdivinity.html
Latest Review: "Heart of Flint" by Scott Stricklen

Post by RussetDivinity »

This is a really well-written review, and I'll definitely keep an eye out for this book!
Latest Review: "Heart of Flint" by Scott Stricklen
ALynnPowers
Currently Reading:

Post by ALynnPowers »

Thanks guys! I'm sure the author will be pleased to hear that as well!!!
Skillian
Bookshelf Size: 102
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-skillian.html

Post by Skillian »

I really think I am going to make this my next purchase. As soon as I have some money again after the holidays. I wish I could buy it now. haha. I just read the review again. And I am totally going to check out the blog as well!
I love LOVE. <3
ALynnPowers
Currently Reading:

Post by ALynnPowers »

Skillian wrote:I really think I am going to make this my next purchase. As soon as I have some money again after the holidays. I wish I could buy it now. haha. I just read the review again. And I am totally going to check out the blog as well!
Do it! I checked out the blog and read just one post.... had to turn away before I opened up my own personal version of the Hulk from the horrendous update I read. But, you know, wait to check out the blog until AFTER you read the book. I think that would be best. 8) Spoilers big time if you did it the other way around.

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”