Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
pinkoctober89
Bookshelf Size: 0

MIDNIGHT IN THE GARDEN OF GOOD AND EVIL

Post by pinkoctober89 »

i had the book (midnight in the garden of good and evil) sitting in my room forever, never got around to reading it so i gave it away, then i watched the movie. the movie was, surprisingly, good.
my point..has anyone read the book? what are your thoughts? should i run out and find it again?
thanks!
Gannon
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Colleen McCullough
Favorite Book: Pillars of the Earth
Currently Reading: Heaven's Net is Wide.
Bookshelf Size: 52
fav_author_id: 2863

Post by Gannon »

I have only ever seen the movie as well. I thought it was a great movie. I do think the book would be much better as the whole story is so character driven. It has some really great and interesting charaters in it. I would suggest you get the book and I think I might as well. :)
hania5

Post by hania5 »

The book was fantastic. You should really read it. I haven't seen the movie but I highly recommend the book.
pinkoctober89

Post by pinkoctober89 »

thanks guys. the movie is worth watching, its not exactly long but i suggest you have some time to spare when watching it.
Pinkpaper

Post by Pinkpaper »

Ive watched the film and cant remember much about it as it was quite a few years ago. Ive only ever heard good things about the book and its one of those that I keep meaning to pick up at some point.
best4buys

Post by best4buys »

I was knocked out by this book! Nothing else can compare for sheer readability and fascinating stories. HIGHLY, HIGHLY recommended! I'm happy to say that the book is a million times better than the movie!
Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil is carried by the strength of its awesome characters and they are unforgettable. Savannah, the setting, is, in its own way, as much of a character as any of the people mentioned in the book. All in all, the novel is gorgeous and unforgettable. I loved it!
andicakes9
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-andicakes9.html

Post by andicakes9 »

Has anyone read this book? I'm halfway through it and so far it's good but I don't find it GREAT for it being on the national bestseller's list four years in a row...
Skillian
Bookshelf Size: 102
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-skillian.html
Latest Review: "The Christ Killer" by Robert Attenborough

Post by Skillian »

I actually haven't even managed to hear about it... woa I need to crawl out of my cave more often. I think I will check it out... but it might be a whole before I can get back to you with my thoughts haha. Thanks for bringing it up!
I love LOVE. <3
Latest Review: "The Christ Killer" by Robert Attenborough
suzy1124

Post by suzy1124 »

I found it to be a very enjoyable read...
" We don't see things as they are but as we are "

Carpe Diem!

Suzy...
TLGabelman
Bookshelf Size: 210
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tlgabelman.html
Latest Review: "Kendra" by Grant Kniefel

Post by TLGabelman »

I enjoyed the movie so much I bought the book. For me it usually doesnt happen in that order. Usually I read the book, then see the movie and am immediately disappointed. I agree with you though it was a good read but not great. I'll have to reread it to be able to really explain why. I know I liked it enough to buy another by the same author, which I still haven't read.
“When I was your age, television was called books.”
― William Goldman, The Princess Bride
Latest Review: "Kendra" by Grant Kniefel
suzy1124

Post by suzy1124 »

Wow! thanks for the info! ( was totally unaware that there's a movie )
" We don't see things as they are but as we are "

Carpe Diem!

Suzy...
Blackbeez
Favorite Author: V.C. Andrews
Favorite Book: Candles Burning by Tabitha King
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-blackbeez.html
Latest Review: "Who Told You That You Were Naked?" by William Combs
fav_author_id: 2869

Post by Blackbeez »

I think this is an awesome book with a very similar movie to go along with it. Being a huge fan of southern gothic writing, I have read this book numerous times and it never gets old. In good old southern gothic tradition, the dark parts of good old fashioned southern culture are put out for everyone to see and judge. As you find in Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil, quite a few of those parts would rather stay hidden but cannot due to the modern age. This book will take you to the swamps and graveyards of Savannah, Ga. It will show you how homosexuality is dealt with in some parts of the south. It will give you a glimpse of southern culture that you may have never seen before. Very intense and very good. On a side note, if you see the movie, note that Kevin Spacey is the perfect character to play Jim Williams.
Latest Review: "Who Told You That You Were Naked?" by William Combs
GKCfan
Bookshelf Size: 48
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gkcfan.html
Latest Review: The Silent Shadow by Pat S. Clarke

Post by GKCfan »

It's very interesting. I think that most of it is true, although I read that the author inserted himself into certain scenes. I'm not 100% sure about that.
ashley_claire
Favorite Book: The Prince of Tides
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 158
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ashley-claire.html
Latest Review: One Way or Another by Mary J. Williams

Post by ashley_claire »

I tried reading this book several years ago and was eager to get started because I thought it was right up my alley. But I didn't even finish it. It's been several years so I don't really remember what it was about it that didn't hold my interest, I just remember being really disappointed.
literarycat
Favorite Author: Ted Dekker
Currently Reading: Survivors: Secrets
Bookshelf Size: 2331
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-literarycat.html
Latest Review: Diary of a Snoopy Cat by R.F. Kristi
Reading Device: B004DLPXAO
fav_author_id: 2881

Post by literarycat »

I enjoyed the story very much, I actually picked it up at a thrift shop for 25 cents on a whim. And read it in a night, well day/night. I actually want to read it again, but it is somewhere in a box since I moved.
The world breaks everyone, and afterwards, some are strong at the broken points ~ Ernest Hemingway.

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”